Hello, glad to be here!!

Fredsteyn

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hi everyone

I am a 34 year old hunter from South Africa. I am happy to have found this site and am sure that I can learn lots.
I have been hunting more and more over the last 5 years (grew up on farm but only shot problem animals), and started reloading last year. My interest in firearms and ballistics resulted in me finding this site. I shoot small to medium bore calibers, and have only hunted in South Africa thus far. I enjoy your posts keep them coming

Groete

Welcome to AH

Welcome to AH Fredsteyn! Looking forward to your contribution.

Welcome aboard Fredsteyn. What caliber rifles have you shot, what caliber rifles do you own? Where do you live and hunt in RSA? AH is an excellent place to expand your knowledge of hunting, firearms and ballistics. Please consider posting stories and photos from your previous hunts. We all learn from each other's experiences.

Welcome to AH, best hunting site around.

Welcome to AH, tons of info for hunting both Southern Africa, and the rest of the planet.

Welcome aboard Fredsteyn. What caliber rifles have you shot, what caliber rifles do you own? Where do you live and hunt in RSA? AH is an excellent place to expand your knowledge of hunting, firearms and ballistics. Please consider posting stories and photos from your previous hunts. We all learn from each other's experiences.
Hi there
I hunt with 6.5x55 loaded with 140gr Gamekings (plains), and 30-06 loaded with 190gr Kriek Monometals (bushveld). I live near Nelspruit and have hunted Karoo, Kalahari, Limpopo and the Highveld. I have lots more hunting trips planned all over the country and Southern Africa.

I will share my stories and experiences as I go, and enjoy reading about other hunter's trips and stories as well. Thanks for the great welcome

I have shot bigger calibers: 9.3x62, 375H&H and a 416 Rigby. Will be looking to buy a big (kinda) bore next. Would love to do a buffalo hunt one day

Hi everyone

I am a 34 year old hunter from South Africa. I am happy to have found this site and am sure that I can learn lots.
I have been hunting more and more over the last 5 years (grew up on farm but only shot problem animals), and started reloading last year. My interest in firearms and ballistics resulted in me finding this site. I shoot small to medium bore calibers, and have only hunted in South Africa thus far. I enjoy your posts keep them coming

Groete

Hello Fredstyn,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I too have a 6.5x55 (great minds think alike).
Mine is a CZ Model 550FS.
The scope is a 1970’s vintage Leupold 3x in Alaska Arms brand lever rings.
It is scary accurate, even with only the 3x scope on it.

So far, I have only shot one critter with it, a female mule deer in Montana.
But, “day ain’t over yet”, this little rifle will see other hunts.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the 6.5x55 Scandinavian cartridge.

Regarding ammunition and reloading components, I lament the hard times we are in.
One 6.5 MM bullet I very much want to see again is the Hornady 160 grain round nose soft and solid.
But, I suppose it will not return soon if ever.

Anyway, glad you joined.
Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Hello Fredstyn,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

I too have a 6.5x55 (great minds think alike).
Mine is a CZ Model 550FS.
The scope is a 1970’s vintage Leupold 3x in Alaskan Arms brand lever rings.
It is scary accurate, even with only the 3x scope on it.

So far, I have only shot one critter with it, a female mule deer in Montana.
But, “day ain’t over yet”, this little rifle will see other hunts.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the 6.5x55 Scandinavian cartridge.

Regarding ammunition and reloading components, I lament the hard times we are in.
One 6.5 MM bullet I very much want to see again is the Hornady 160 grain round nose soft and solid.
But, I suppose it will not return soon if ever.

Anyway, glad you joined.
Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Velo dog, thanks man
I will give a breakdown of what I have hunted with my Howa 6.5x55 on another post. Awesome cartridge and best thing now my son hunts with it as well. My 30-06 is a CZ 550 Full stock with a Leupold scope on as well, which I use carrying around in the bushveld. Awesome rifles both of them

Fredsteyn, I too would be very interested to see what you have taken with your 6.5 x 55 Howa. The 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser is in fact my go to deer rifle. I used mine in Africa during my first Safari and have always wondered if I might have been able to take larger game with it.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH!

Giday Fredsteyn and welcome to the A H forums

Fredsteyn, welcome to the AH forum! I’m looking forward to reading your reports!

:S Welcome: to AH!

Welcome to AH!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ara6336349

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you