Hello from the US

RafterMan

Reaction score
Hello friends,

Long time listener, first time caller. I have not been to Africa (yet) but I peruse this forum often, and figured I would join to torture myself further. I will have you know, I will go there at some point - I just need to win the lottery.

Anyhow, I have been fortunate to hunt many wonderful parts of the US. I look forward to learning more, and hopefully visiting Africa in the not too distant future.

cpr0312

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
US (All over), New Zealand, South Africa(Northern Cape, Northwest), Zimbabwe, Zambia
Hello and welcome!

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Welcome to AH

Von Gruff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.vongruffknives.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
New Zealand, Austaralia

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
RafterMan, welcome to the forum! Be forewarned, once you have gone to the Dark Continent, you’ll definitely want to return again and again!

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH!

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Welcome aboard Rafterman!

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Hello RafterMan,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

cls

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Welcome to the dark side. hang out here long enough and the enablers here will have you booking your first safari in no time.

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH !

meigsbucks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Zimbabwe and Namibia
Welcome RafterMan. Nothing like a FIRST safari. Africa gets in your blood.

TROPHY SHIPPERS

Sponsor
Since 2018
AH enthusiast
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.trophyshippers.com
Media
Articles
Member of
SCI, DSC, HSC, NTA
Welcome to AH and the posting side @RafterMan! Nice to have you part of our community and enjoy the forum.

Shootist43

Gold supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Michigan, Texas, Missouri, Limpopo Province South Africa
RafterMan, I too welcome you to AH. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload? Out of curiosity, where do you live? To help you get to Africa sooner rather than later start a separate savings account and fund it whenever you can. there is an old adage that says "save the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." FYI, I doubt that many of us have won the lottery.

RafterMan

Reaction score
RafterMan, I too welcome you to AH. Please tell us a little more about yourself as a hunter. Things like what have you hunted in the past, what kind and caliber rifles you own, do you reload? Out of curiosity, where do you live? To help you get to Africa sooner rather than later start a separate savings account and fund it whenever you can. there is an old adage that says "save the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves." FYI, I doubt that many of us have won the lottery.

Nothing too exciting for me. Where I am at on the eastern shores of the US, it is nearly 100% bow hunting, mostly from a tree stand (climber) and sometimes a ground bind when not wet during season. I've hunted out west, to include Colorado big country for elk.

I have a Mathews bow which really is the key to most hunting around here. I actually sold a number of my rifles, as the ranges out east just are not like the west (where I lived years ago). I do have a nice Weaver custom in 30'06, and a Winchester 12g for birds - though mostly clays. I sometimes wish I hadn't sold some of those rifles, some custom, some older Model 70s. I've never owned a big bore magnum. Not really necessary in the CONUS. One thing I am looking to do is pistol hunting, hopefully this coming year for wild pig. I have both 41 magnum and 357 - I have been following some videos, and looks like a fun challenge.

I am saving my pennies. I have not invested in the lotto in a few years now... I will get to Africa at some point. A life long dream. While on the general covid shutdown here, I took time to finally read A Hunters Wanderings in Africa - great book! Old Selous had a sense of humor and a classic English temperament in rough situations - had some good laughs reading that, and really got me thinking of an African safari.

Mort Hill

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Life Member SCI, Director-Music City SCI Chapter, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
SA, Zambia, Tanzania
Welcome to the AH community RafterMan!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Just came from a hunt and already longing for the bush
JPmbogo wrote on yhc's profile.
I have factory loaded Hornady 450 NE 3 1/4 DGS that I am selling for not much more than the brass itself at $75/box - see my listing for same.
Justbryan wrote on Rafter JK's profile.
Get Crazy Larry yet? Wishing I had shot Alpine Ibex too!
laurence burkin wrote on UKHunter's profile.
Hi the dude in the picture. It would be cool to know the area (genetics) of the stag you have in your profile picture. I am from New Zealand and shot a stag here that is almost identical, especially the throw backs. I can send you a photo to prove I'm genuine with my enquiry.