Hello from the UK

Russ-F

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association; BASC.
I know I’m not the only person to easily forget a fellow sportsman’s name due to the passage of time but still be able to instantly recall their dog, gun & wife - but not particularly in that order.

With that in mind I’ll use one of my rifles as a means of more easily remembered introduction.

F9139A39-53E7-4529-8E9C-F521A2405887.jpg

9c2358df560bec4c963aa4db67e62644.jpg

It’s a very original .275 Rigby built on a standard length, large ring

Mauser action. The action was made around 1899 & shipped to Rigby as a bare action, only barrelled, stocked & finished in 1937.

It went to Africa once with it’s first owner only to quickly come back to the UK prior to WWII. It then remained virtually unused & passed into the hands of the owners son who about 5 years ago sold it as he was retiring (coincidentally to South Africa). It then came to me complete with the original small wooden box of Rigby ammunition sold with it when new, of which half the contents still remain (it’s fired no more than 150 rounds with it’s original family owners). Apart from a few months in Africa it’s spent all it’s life about 7 miles from where it now rests in my gun safe. With a Rigby aperture rear sight & the correct fully folding barrel mounted rear sight it’s a gem to own & shoot.

Hopefully I’ll be able to take it back to Africa at some point for a ‘practical visit’ - before which I’ll no doubt be asking the forum for advice.

The Rigby aside, my own shooting has involved game shooting through to fullbore target rifle (‘Palma Match’ for US readers) with a fair involvement collecting & shooting double rifles.

My current rifles include a more modern bolt action 7x57, a 7mm Rem mag & a .375 H&H

I’ve already learnt a lot just browsing through the pages of the various forums & I look forward to learning more & contributing where I’m able.

Regards

Russ

Attachments

• 9c2358df560bec4c963aa4db67e62644.jpg
    9c2358df560bec4c963aa4db67e62644.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 134
  • F9139A39-53E7-4529-8E9C-F521A2405887.jpg
    F9139A39-53E7-4529-8E9C-F521A2405887.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 103
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH!

Very nice looking rifle!

Beautiful rifle mate, would love to own a rigby someday!

Fine rifle, welcome aboard!

Beautiful rifle and history. Welcome from another UK member.

Beautiful rifle Russ. Welcome to 'our place' where friendships are made over shared information and experiences

Welcome to AH Russ! Glad you found us.

Welcome to AH.

Hi Russ, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH sir! And thank you for sharing the story of your rifle with us. So I guess we will just call you Rigby from now on???:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::whistle::whistle::whistle:
Can’t remember names very well!

Thanks to all for the welcome.

What’s already obvious is the site is a goldmine of information & also has a good friendly atmosphere.

Regards
Russ

Welcome to AH Russ! What an excellent historical rifle! Thanks for sharing it and it’s history with us! May you add many more years of history to it.

Welcome aboard Russ-F. My my, but you sound like our kind of guy. Your 275 Rigby speaks for itself as does your Palma Match shooting. Do you have any plans for an African hunt any time soon?

Welcome and yes it needs to see Africa again beautifully done rifle

Welcome aboard Russ-F. My my, but you sound like our kind of guy. Your 275 Rigby speaks for itself as does your Palma Match shooting. Do you have any plans for an African hunt any time soon?

Hello Shootist,

My aspiration is to be able to visit somewhere in Africa (most likely South Africa) next year to hopefully take a few of the smaller plains game species. For my first visit I think I’ll be taking a rifle with a scope on rather than the Rigby though. Deciding exactly what will give me hours of enjoyment! My 7x57 built on a BRNO ZG 47 action is a hot contender for the role at the moment.

Regards
Russell

Welcome, great introduction. You and your Rigby need to go to Africa. I had a chance to use an original .275 Rigby in Zambia to harvest a chobe bushbuck last year and they are a sweet shooting rifle. Don't let it be a safe queen.

Welcome to the forum Russ!
Great introduction! And a great rifle!

Welcome to AH, Russ!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg