Hello from the north of Italy

A.S.C.

Reaction score
Hunted
Italy, Sweden
Hi everybody,

I joined the forum because I plan to hunt somewhere in Africa next (european) winter, preferably december 2014. I am a beginner, never travelled in Africa before.

What is the best country for a beginner to hunt in december? Perhaps South Africa? My budget is around 5000 euros, ALL inclusive, you think it is enough? And i cant stay for more than a week. I own a 308 win I hunt with for roedeer fallowdeer reddeer moose etc... but I can afford to buy a 375 h&h, would love to have a reason to buy it:) wish my wife will accept to come with me, that would be an extra from the budget.

I have one year to prepare so I hope I can do it.

Cheers

Good day sir,
Welcome to the forum. The .308Win is a very popular round in Africa and will be sufficient on most plains game, quite comfortably.
With careful planning I'm pretty sure that your budget is good enough to have the trip of a lifetime.
All the best,

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Welcome to AH, I think if you stick to euro mounts and don't include flights in your hunt price, I think you can have a slendid time in Africa for a week or more.

A S C-
There are ways to have a great first safari on the budget you mention. I have seen offers in South Africa for 5 day hunts (3 full days hunting) and 4 decent animals included for 2400 euros, your wife would be about about 500 euros more. She would have a good time, my wife does. Your 308 is perfect for what you want to do. If I were you I would start to look here on AH for offers where the property is within a reasonable driving distance from usually Joburg South Africa so you won't have to give up hunting days just to get to the property. Your outfitter will then be able to meet you at the airport and drop you back off again at the end of your hunt.
Remember the planing is half the fun of the hunt and there are some very good outfitters here on AH that can handle things for you. There is one more you might want to consider that I know and he can set you up with a great hunt on his property. Take a look at Sadaka Safaris ( Sadaka Safaris ) I have hunted with him and know his operation (I have no connection with him other than I paid to hunt with him several tears ago) and I know he does a great job for his clients. Ewert is a very nice guy to hunt with and his facilities are outstanding. Your wife will be well taken care of there.
You might bear in mind that during the later part of December there are the Christmas Holidays and many outfitters are also getting ready to go to the USA for the winter marketing season there in January. You might do better by planing the first half of December for your hunt if you can. Good luck and keep telling us how things are going. Ask any questions you want here. This is the best forum on the net and everyone is willing to help you have a grand first safari.

Good day and welcome.The .308 will be fine for most plainsgame situations in South Africa,though it is always good to find a reason to buy a .375:cool:.
Personally I think South Africa will be the best for a first safari for variuous reasons.Your budget will allow for a nice first safari.Enjoy your planning.

welcome , I live and hunt in South Africa as often as possible.December is not an ideal time to hunt here.

it is better in our winter months (June -Sept )

your budget of €5000 should enable you to have a good hunt.

the 308 is a popular plains game cartridge in SA however if you would like to buy a 375 h&h that is a more versatile caliber to use with more options.

good luck

Welcome to AH.

If you can escape a little earlier in the fall you might have some better success. August September.

Namibia and South Africa would be excellent choices for your first excursion to Africa.

Your budget should hold up, unless you want some of the more expensive animals.

Good luck with your planning. There are excellent outfitters here on AH.
Look through the hunt reports and you should be able to narrow your choices down.

Benvenuto,,,From Minnesota

Benvenuto, welcome to AH !

Welcome to AH! Keep an eye on the Hunting deals page some of our new outfitters are making some fantastic offers well with in the budget your looking at and you could still bring your, wife which is a big Plus if she likes wildlife and using a camera.

welcomes and enjoy the site a.s.c
going to be bloody in south Africa when you want to be there mate
enjoy

Welcome to AH A.S.C.!

Warm Welcome to AH A.S.C...:cool:

As most have commented on the caliber choice to hunt with your .308 is perfect for most plains game and antelopes found in South Africa.

5000 Euros can guarantee you a splendid time for you and your wife in South Africa.

Good luck with all the planning, and finding the right outfitter for your 2014 African Safari.

Kind regards,

Hi!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciated your advices. Unfortunately december is the only month I can leave my job without worries. For the little I know about Africa I would really like to have the opportunity to hunt the beautiful kudu and the baboon, plus some other plain games. This site is a great resource to plan a safari. Thanks to those who conctacted me in private. I will consider your offers.
is there a particular region you would recommend in S.A. to hunt in december?

Hi!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I appreciated your advices. Unfortunately december is the only month I can leave my job without worries. For the little I know about Africa I would really like to have the opportunity to hunt the beautiful kudu and the baboon, plus some other plain games. This site is a great resource to plan a safari. Thanks to those who conctacted me in private. I will consider your offers.
is there a particular region you would recommend in S.A. to hunt in december?

if l was going to hunt Africa in December .ld be going as far south as possible ,purely to try and beat the heat .
if the heat doesn't bother you limpoppo would be my choice , that's only because its the only place in Africa ive walked in the bush .
no matter where you go it will be hot and definitely fun .
enjoy every breath of African air you breathe , because once the scent is in your nostrils , you will pine for it, after its gone .

if l was going to hunt Africa in December .ld be going as far south as possible ,purely to try and beat the heat .
if the heat doesn't bother you limpoppo would be my choice , that's only because its the only place in Africa ive walked in the bush .
no matter where you go it will be hot and definitely fun .
enjoy every breath of African air you breathe , because once the scent is in your nostrils , you will pine for it, after its gone .

The heat doesnt bother me much, I have experienced the tropical summer in South America and I can bear it. I just want to have agreat hunt, I dont care about the weather or the lodging as long as I come back safe and healthy as I arrived.

then you are going to love it mate .
l bet you wont be crowded either ,ha ha ha
enjoy your hunt .
l for one, will enjoy reading about it afterwards.,and seeing your photographic memories :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Welcome to the forum. Would love to hear about some of the hunts/hunting you do in Italy (including pictures of course)...

Ok, for what i am starting to understand it is very difficult for an all inclusive trip (flight, taxidermist and shipping included) to stay under 10000€, that would be 13500USD right now, unless you decid to just take home one trophy and take pictures as memories. Correct me if you think I am wrong please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg