JRH

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, TGR
Hunted
South Africa
Well I haven't been back to Africa since 2012, that's the bad news, but we are trying to put something together for next year. My son just took a promotion and was moved to Norway...He said it was a promotion....
So we hope to get together next year for a safari. If any of you know any outfitters in Norway let me know.
I thought I would say HELLO and post a couple of pics from my past year here in Texas.
We changed Ranches after being on one for seven years, the Matriarch passed and the children wanted to divide it up. We are starting over on 6000 acres in Kinney County, TX. Wish us luck, the area got hit hard last year with Anthrax but we were Blessed and saw no signs on the ranch we leased. The pic are of a heavy horned 7 point cull I took on the ranch and a 32 1/2" Aoudad that I was also fortunate enough to kill there.
I was also lucky enough to be drawn on one of our Texas Parks and Wildlife hunts that they sponsor on the Wildlife Management Areas here in Texas I was drawn on the newest WMA, The Powderhorn Ranch, near port O'Connor, TX. I took a nice 27 1/2" Sambar Deer that field dressed 322 lbs.
'Till nest time Good Hunting!!!
seven point.png
aoudad1.png
aoudad2.png
SAMBAR.1.jpg

Hello and welcome!

Reactions: JRH
Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome aboard JRH. What are you planning on hunting in Africa? What kind and caliber rifles do you own?
BTW those are some nice "Texas" trophies.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH!

JRH, sorry I can’t help on outfitter’s in Norway. I had a friend whose son also lived there. He told me a lot of the hunting is done by ski jouring (being pulled behind the hunting dog while on xcountry skis). His son used a German shorthair pointer to hunt and pull him.
When we had a second home in Leadville, CO in the winter they had ski jouring races down Main Street. They were pulled by horses. Quite exciting!

Best of luck for you and your son on your next Africa adventure!

Nice sambar, I have been trying to get drawn on that hunt for years. One day.

Well I haven't been back to Africa since 2012, that's the bad news, but we are trying to put something together for next year. My son just took a promotion and was moved to Norway...He said it was a promotion....
So we hope to get together next year for a safari. If any of you know any outfitters in Norway let me know.
I thought I would say HELLO and post a couple of pics from my past year here in Texas.
We changed Ranches after being on one for seven years, the Matriarch passed and the children wanted to divide it up. We are starting over on 6000 acres in Kinney County, TX. Wish us luck, the area got hit hard last year with Anthrax but we were Blessed and saw no signs on the ranch we leased. The pic are of a heavy horned 7 point cull I took on the ranch and a 32 1/2" Aoudad that I was also fortunate enough to kill there.
I was also lucky enough to be drawn on one of our Texas Parks and Wildlife hunts that they sponsor on the Wildlife Management Areas here in Texas I was drawn on the newest WMA, The Powderhorn Ranch, near port O'Connor, TX. I took a nice 27 1/2" Sambar Deer that field dressed 322 lbs.
'Till nest time Good Hunting!!! View attachment 334783 View attachment 334784 View attachment 334786 View attachment 334789

Hello JRH,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

And, great pictures by the way.
Thanks for posting them.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard JRH. What are you planning on hunting in Africa? What kind and caliber rifles do you own?
BTW those are some nice "Texas" trophies.
Shootist43, I am going use your post to thank everyone for the "Hello's and Welcome's". I have actually been a member since 2011, but haven't had much to say as I
haven't been on a Safari since 2012. My son and I along with some good friends were fortunate enough economically back then to go to South Africa three times, 2008. 2010,
and 2012. I have hunted South Texas exclusively since then.
But to answer your questions, I have killed several plains game trophies in our three trips, but always looking for bigger. I have not however taken any of the small to medium
animals such as Springbok or Blesbok so that is an option. I am seriously thinking of stepping up and try a Cape Buffalo bu am told I don't own enough gun.
I have a 17WSM, 270, 25-06, 7mm Ultra Mag, and a 300 Weatherby. Out of vanity I have included two of my true Texas Trophies.
Thank You for your interest.
Big ten.png
Thirteen.png

From one Texan to the next welcome.

Funny you post I too drew the Powderhorn exotic hunt as well and killed a great 28” Sambar myself. Judging from the pictures you were on the prior hunt to mine Congrats on the draw.

Keep on posting

JRH, those are some NICE racks. Much better than on any deer that I've taken. The word jealous (in a good way) comes to mind.

From one Texan to the next welcome.

Funny you post I too drew the Powderhorn exotic hunt as well and killed a great 28” Sambar myself. Judging from the pictures you were on the prior hunt to mine Congrats on the draw.

Yes Austin, We were there for the last Whitetail Draw, Jan 21st. We could also take exotics, it was pretty slow. but as you can see we had a lot of rain.
Congrats on your Sambar

They told us that at orientation that the prior hit was pretty slow due to all the rain.

Happy to see you connected with a nice one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you