Hello from South Dakota

sdhedonist

Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NGAUS
Hello All, I came across this forum by accident and love it so far! Never been big game hunting but would love to go someday. I recently received a Ruger 77 Magnum in .416 Rigby from my father as a gift for retirement after 30 years in the Army National Guard. I hope to one day put it to use as intended.

Welcome! I lived in Rapid City for a couple years. Love South Dakota and the Black Hills region!

Welcome to AH!

• Welcome to our forum sdhedonist. You will love it here. I retired from the Guard/Reserve 22 years ago and have never regretted my time there. So congratulations on your retirement. Your father could not have given you a better heavy rifle than an RSM .416 Rigby. I currently own two of them and a RSM .375 HH and a RSM .404 Jeffery. The .404 is going with me to South Africa on a buffalo hunt in 3 more days. A warning! If you continue to read and follow this forum, it will not be long before you go to Africa too!!! Lots to learn and I assure you that someone on this forum (more than likely many) have the answers to any question you can come up with! Good Luck!

I retired from the Guard/Reserve 22 years ago

Good God in heaven... it was that long ago?????

I suddenly feel incredibly old....

Sigh....

Good God in heaven... it was that long ago?????

I suddenly feel incredibly old....

Sigh....
Yep, April, 96! And to make you feel older, I had already been to DSC three times by then!!!

Welcome to AH

Hello All, I came across this forum by accident and love it so far! Never been big game hunting but would love to go someday. I recently received a Ruger 77 Magnum in .416 Rigby from my father as a gift for retirement after 30 years in the Army National Guard. I hope to one day put it to use as intended.
Welcome! You will find a lot of information to make an informed decision

Welcome sdhedonist, now that you have a suitable rifle you need to start thing about suitable game for it. Keep reading AH and we'll help you figure that out. Decisions, decisions.

Welcome to AH! You and your dad need a trip to Africa together!

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH sdhedonist! Have fun exploring the site and nice to have you on the posting side.

Welcome! I hope you enjoy. I was recently (April) up in SD for goose hunting. Very nice state you have.

Welcome to AH sir! The rifle you received is perfect for big game.

Welcome to the dark side. I think your father is giving you a hint that you should be going to Africa by gifting you that RSM in .416 Rigby. It screams "CAPE BUFFALO"!

Welcome to AH, that rifle deserves a trip to Africa.

Welcome to 'our place' where friendships are made over shared information and experiences.

Welcome aboard! A fantastic rifle to start with

Thank you for your service. Welcome to Africa Hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg