Hello from South Africa

Gerhard.375

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHGCA, NSA
Hunted
South Africa and Namibia (when it was still South-West Africa)
I am new to these forums.

I am 41 years old, was born in the Northern Cape province of South Africa and consider South Africa as my home.

I have a wife, a daughter of 4 years and a son of 2 years (and four dachshund of various ages).

My hunting battery consist of a .375 H&H Mag, a .300 Win Mag, a .30-06 Sprg, a .270 Win, a 12 Gauge o/u, a .22lr (rifle for plinking) and a .22lr S&W K22 6" Masterpiece (revolver). The latter I carry for inflicting the coup de grace when required.

The centre fire rifles are all topped with Leupold scopes.

I have started hunting at the age of 12 years and have hunted all over South Africa.

On my wish list remain Sable, Roan, Elephant and Cape Buffalo.

I enjoy taking my family along on the hunt. (My wife shot a Rowland Ward Oryx in the Kalahari earlier this year - her first buck). My daughter (4) accompanied us on the occasion.

It is important to me that the little ones are taught (and experience) conservation principles, ethical hunting manners, bushcraft and tracking from an early age.

I hope to learn from these forums and to contribute to the wealth of information already available.

Regards,

Gerhard

Gerhard.375, Welcome to the site, you are going to love it here. Excellent taste in scopes. I agree with you on giving you children the experience of the hunt, returned from South Africa in June with my wife and 5 year old son, the both loved it there. Goeie mense op hierdie site, Scott.

Welcome to AH Gerhard,

Incidentally - i was also born and bred in the Nothwest Cape (Kathu / Kuruman)
Matriculated in Highschool Sishen in '83

Looking forward to your posts, stories and pictures of your hunts.

Welcome to AH!

Welcome Gerhard, I just returned from my first African hunting experience which was in the Northern Cape. What a beautiful, wonderful place with really interesting history (now reading Wilbur Smith's works). Nice array of arms, too.

Welcome to AH Gerhard! Looking forward to your participation.

Gerhard...welcome...we will find your information helpful...one who lives there see things through different eyes...

Welcome to the forum, Gerhard, I also have a K-22, nice gun.

Welcome to AH Gerhard! There is a lot to learn from the forum and I'm sure we will learn a lot from you and your family.

Welcome to AH Gerhardt. Where in Northern Cape are you born? I am going to a hunt in the Kimberley area and the Upington area now in August.

Thank you all for the welcoming words, I already feel at home.

Yes Wolverine67, I was indeed born and bred in Kimberley.

Welcome to AH Gerhard.

nd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg