hello from South Africa

Krystal

Reaction score
hi everyone, My name is Krystal. I am a student in South Africa. one of my greatest passions is being in the veld and hunting. i am studying zoology and as part of my honours project i will be comparing the horns of kudu from different populations. if any one has any information on how to measure a kudu horn from an image (have camera's set up in the bush) please could you contact me as it is a vital part of my project. also does anyone know if there is a certain length to the twists on the horn? the species is the greater kudu. Thank you so much! :)

Welcome to AH Krystal hope you enjoy it here.

My best always.

Welcome to the forum :)

Welcome to AH Krystal !

Welcome to AH Krystal! Good luck with your project enjoy the site.

Welcome to AH, Krystal!

Krystal, Welcome to AH and if we our group can be of assistance asks. some have shared some information with you already.

How about sharing some of your pictures with us...:)

Welcome Krystal.

Measuring Kudu horns from an image.
I have a hard enough time on the hoof, never mind worrying about camera image issues.

Courageous project.

The only thing I might suggest if you are going to be using pictures from trail cameras is to ensure that you have a known scale as a back drop like "Mythbusters".

MythBusters: Slow-Motion Sneezes : Video : Discovery Channel

Good luck.

Hi again from honours student

hi hi

so my new project is on hybrids in the game industry, for example black, copper, white and cape springbok and how these different hybrids will affect the game industry. I would like to know if any one had the option of shooting a hybrid antelope species over the common species, would you be interested. would a farmer have any increased hunting activity if there was any hybrid antelope available for hunting???

I think its very important for there to be a large range of hybrids in communities of antelope. the game industry can only grow from the growth of available antelope. how does it affect you?

Many thanks for any one who has any opinion on these points. it is greatly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you all :) (and hopefully have the privilege of hunting some hybrid animals :p)

Krystal

I hate the damn things!!! :) with all these golden wildebeest and kings wildebeest and black impala who knows what hereditory issues will raise its head in the future... :)
My best always

Jaco +1

I also think that a farmer/rancher is trying to produce a new sub species to better their market share.
If there marketing is good and they have the right presentation, anything will sell.

Heck you could even sell ice in Antarctica, with good marketing.

I hate the damn things!!! :) with all these golden wildebeest and kings wildebeest and black impala who knows what hereditory issues will raise its head in the future... :)
My best always

Agree with Jaco,I wish we can get rid of this Disneyland breeding.

My best always

Jaco whats a kings wildebeest look like and does it have gold horns to get the name? ;)

Jaco whats a kings wildebeest look like and does it have gold horns to get the name? ;)

It is a horrible looking thing as many of the other so called expensive species which an artificial market have been created for.

Terrible isn't it? They sell for around $160 000 :wacky: :bonk: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

My best always

Attachments

• Kings_Wildebeest.jpeg
    Kings_Wildebeest.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 86
It is a horrible looking thing as many of the other so called expensive species which an artificial market have been created for.

Terrible isn't it? They sell for around $160 000 :wacky: :bonk: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

My best always

Thats what I figured it was, sort of the story of the golden fleece.

My best always

:shocked:AAARRRGGHHH!! that is a weird looking thing. who would pay $160,000.00 for that???? :confusion: and the difference with a golden one, is it the same but without the white markings?

View attachment 18562

Agreed they are mostly wealthy men with good buisiness sense that own ranch and as soon as they have the land they start making stupid decisions, the secret I do not know is who is the end user ever object that is bought and sold should have a final or end user, breeders are selling to breeders, thats just it.

STUPID!!!!! It will bottom out just a matter of time....

No one is arguing the monetary gain for guys caught up this this thing but there is NO conservation value to this breeding runts and making money is about it,

I for one would not have one sleepless night if these things became extinct... :)

My best always

Attachments

• stupid.jpg
    stupid.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 76

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois