Hello from Pretoria, RSA

Musgrave

Reaction score
Member of
National Shooting Association
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia
Hello everyone,

I have just joined up after lurking for quite some time. I have found myself coming back to this forum, more and more, due to all the information and experiences present.

I have hunted in SA (obviously) and Namibia. I shoot .25-06, .30-06, .375 H&H and until recently .45-70. It was a Ruger No.1 and I sold it to finance the .375. The sale has come to haunt me...

I have hunted springbuck (common & black), mountain reedbuck, warthog, bushpig, blesbuck, red hartebeest, black wildebeest, blue wildebeest, kudu, zebra and eland.

Regards

Welcome to AH I am sure you will enjoy it here... The 375 in my opinion is a good option why the disappointment ?

My best always.

Hi Jaco, thanks.

I'm not dissapointed with the .375 at all. Always wanted one.

The Ruger No.1 was however, a goodlooking rifle and a pleasure to shoot and carry (especially in the bushveld). It is more about the rifle and the action, than the calibre.

I think I will have to start looking for another Ruger No.1 soon. In something like 7x57.

For sure !!! that's the spirit!! :)

My best always

Welcome Have been to/through Pertoria a couple of times. Glad to have you here.

..:welcome:.. to AH. Along with the 7x57, you'll also need to get a .300 H&H and a .404 Jeffery..

Welcome to AH.
Amazing how folk seem to be drawn back here.

Glad to have you as a member here on AH. Just curious with your moniker, are any of your rifles Musgrave's?

Welcome to AH Musgrave!

Welcome to AH, Musgrave!

Welcome to AH Musgrave !

A Ruger n1 in 7x57 is a great choice. I had one and sold it, still regretting it .

Welcome to AH Musgrave! Enjoy the site. Please feel free to share some pictures of the animals you've taken.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Will post pictures at some time.

Glad to have you as a member here on AH. Just curious with your moniker, are any of your rifles Musgrave's?

Indeed, my .30-06 is a Model 80 Musgrave my father gave me. He bought it in the early 1980's.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

Will post pictures at some time.

Indeed, my .30-06 is a Model 80 Musgrave my father gave me. He bought it in the early 1980's.

My understanding is they are a great rifle. If I remember correct Capstick loved his.

I was in Ermelo a couple of years ago with a friend who stopped in to a gun shop to see how work was coming along on a rifle he had left with them. I looked around but didn't pay much attention. A couple of days later Musgrave rifles came up in conversation and he said I was just there. The shop we were in was the remnants of the old Musgrave and they were still making Musgrave rifles. If I had known that I would have wanted to spend some time there. Someday I would like to be able to handle and shoot one.

Welcome to AH Musgrave !

A Ruger n1 in 7x57 is a great choice. I had one and sold it, still regretting it .

Too bad for you! LOL! I bought one and still have it!!:cool:

My understanding is they are a great rifle. If I remember correct Capstick loved his.

I was in Ermelo a couple of years ago with a friend who stopped in to a gun shop to see how work was coming along on a rifle he had left with them. I looked around but didn't pay much attention. A couple of days later Musgrave rifles came up in conversation and he said I was just there. The shop we were in was the remnants of the old Musgrave and they were still making Musgrave rifles. If I had known that I would have wanted to spend some time there. Someday I would like to be able to handle and shoot one.

Yup..the lads at JJ WAPENS in Ermelo have, I am happy to say, resurrected the fine Musgrave. Their custom stocks are excellent.

MUSGRAVE RIFLES - Wildman Hunting And Outdoor

Yes, JJ Wapens bought the rights to the name and some leftover parts. The original Musgraves (such as mine) were built in the town of Bloemfontein, Free State province in South Africa. Simple working rifles, with excellent accuracy.

Personally, I don't like the "new" Musgraves. Just a matter of personal taste, that's all.

Welcome to AH!!!! Dont forget to share your experiences......!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross