Hello from Lapland Finland

Ismo

Reaction score
Hi everyboy! Been visiting this site many times and now finally joining. I'm a reloader and a hunter. I'm hunting moose, bear and capercaillies with dogs (Jämthund and Nordic Spitz)
Waiting for the summer, we have still snow up here more than one meter..

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Ismo. What caliber rifles do you own? How many Moose and bear have you taken? Do you have any photos and stories of previous hunts that you would be willing to share with us?

Thanks! I have rifles from 22 Hornet to .375 Ruger. I'll use also 308 Win + 12/76 combi when hunting capercaillies. I have been lucky with around twenty moose, but not even the first brownie yet (trying over twenty years). Maybe in becoming season, it looks that I finally have a promising dog growing..
I' ll try to share some stories and pictures.

Ismo, welcome to the AH forum! Looking forward to pictures and report from your country.
Oh and what in the world is a “capercaillies”?

Last edited:
https://images.app.goo.gl/heYvJ9nhJTgpgKbS6
Capercaillie is a big black bird, like a grouse but bigger. Not as big as a turkey but may weight 5 kg.

1200px-Tetrao_urogallus,_Glenfeshie,_Scotland_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to AH !

Welcome! Lapland hunt for Moose and Bear is on my bucket list!

Welcome to AH Ismo!

Giday Ismo and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH

Hi my friend, I have many hunting friends from Finland and I took a female Capercaillie a few years ago with my friend in Lapland. You have a wonderful country.
Markcz

G’day Ismo! My wife and I are enjoying a Finnish Police show on Netflix, and when all this craziness ends we’d love to visit your beautiful country! Just last night I was watching some moose hunting on YouTube from Finland. Good luck with your bear quest!

Welcome to AH!

Beautiful bird! Do your dogs point or flush?
Hi Ridgewalker!
Both dogs are barking dogs. The Nordic Spitz is very versatile breed, mainly used for hunting birds but also for moose and even bear. The Nordic Spitz finds capercaillie (or black growse) from the ground or from a tree. Normally it moves around 500 meter from the hunter. If you are lucky, bird stays in a tree and dog starts to bark it under the tree. Hunter sneeks closer carefully, even by crawling . Capercaillie (especially female, wich is brown) is not so easy to find from the tree. Small caliber rifle or combi gun is very popular for that kind of hunting. Sako L46 (7x33) or Tikka 222 Rem + 12/70 are quite famous still here. I like to carry 308 Win Tikka or Merkel B3 combi during birdhunt, because you may get lucky and your dog find a bear. I love to stay 3-4 days far away in wilderness at bird or bear hunting trip, sleep under tarp and cook with open fire.

Jämthund is also barking dog. It finds moose or bear by following the tracks and may go even 10-20 miles behind the moose or bear if the game would not stop. Jämthund barks and moves around moose or bear and tryes to keep it in place. Hunter sneeks closer noiselessly, taking notice the direction of the wind. I prefer approach in sidewind. Sometimes moose or bear may hear or smell you and runs mile or few. Jämthund is quite "hardy" and it won`t give up and reaches moose again and the play is on again. Bear may go so far and so fast if it smells the hunter that normally the game is over in that case.

My favorite gun for that kind of hunt used to be Marlin 1895 (450 Marlin loaded with 350 gr FP North Forks) and I still pick it up if hunting in deep bushes. When hunting in more open area, for example in fjells, I take my Howa 1500 (.375 Ruger, loaded with 300 gr Woodleigh), or, when production starts in Sweden, 270 or 300 gr North Fork. I really trust that bullet, I may post some pictures of North Forks that have done the job in moose hunting. My son have FN BAR Mk II (9,3x62 loaded with 250 gr North Fork) and it is really nice gun, light and fast to shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross