Hello from East Texas

Gator K

Reaction score
Member of
SCI and ROE
Hello everyone. I booked a last minute hunt in South Africa and fly out on 12-Oct, it will be my first hunt in Africa. I have read a lot of posts here but wanted to say greetings and get any advice for the first timer who made quick travel plans. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello and welcome to AH

Hello everyone. I booked a last minute hunt in South Africa and fly out on 12-Oct, it will be my first hunt in Africa. I have read a lot of posts here but wanted to say greetings and get any advice for the first timer who made quick travel plans. Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome. Congratulations. Hunting in Africa was an awesome experience.

advice ... hmmm:

- be prepared for nonsense from the airline
My airline, non-native English speakers, did not understand "... ammunition packed separately ..." made me take the ammo out of the secure-ish rifle case and put it in a bag. At Johannesburg I barely escaped being arrested for my ammo being in a bag. Escaped by virtue of the policewoman and my outfitter both being Boers ... They discussed me in Afrikaans, twenty to the dozen, for a couple minutes and I was released to the outfitter's custody with a stern warning.

- lots to be learned from the P.H.

- expect the unexpected
2nd day we spent ~1/3 of the day fighting a wild-fire. That gave the appearance of being the most dangerous and exciting time of the 10day hunt. And the rest of the hunt was plenty exciting and memorable.

- lot of photos
My 11yr-old son took thousands of photos ... and I'll never complain "... too many photos."

Last edited:
At this late stage I say have a trip of a lifetime and come back with pictures to share here.

Welcome to AH Gator K!

Check out this thread on South Africa:

Also the Safari planning guide section to plan your trip:

Enjoy your time in Africa and looking forward to hearing about it when you return.

Welcome aboard!
The time will go by quickly, remember to slow down and soak it up. Looking forward to reading your report.

Hello and welcome!

Hello and welcome to AH!!

Welcome, and have fun!

Btw, what part of East Texas? I used to live in Coldspring.

Giday Gator K and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome to AH! Goodluck on your hunt.

Gator K, welcome to AH! You’re going to have a grand time I’m certain!

Welcome aboard Gator K. Are you taking your own rifles or renting? If taking your own be sure to use a service that will assist you in getting your rifles both into and out of the country. Be "up" on all of the latest Covid testing protocols. Who are you hunting with, what will you be hunting?

Hello Gator K,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Best Regards,
Velo Dog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross