Hello from canada

7x65r

AH member
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Trevor and come from northern ontario in Canada. Glad to be on board as there is a ton of information here about hunting and firearms. Originally found this site a few years ago looking for double rifle info, but I'm pretty sure I will be planning a safari for 2020 so looking for some good review and planning tips.

Welcome to the forum Trevor! We'll be attending the Toronto Sportsmen Show which is being held from 13-17 March. Not sure how far away you are, but would be great to put a face to the name!

Nice having you on board!

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Hello 7x65r,

Welcome to the best forum in the world.
You have arrived in the right spot for hunting and firearms discussion.

For your potential Africa plans in 2020, have a look at the hunting reports from various members here, including from yours truly :A Whistle:.

Also, let us know what rifles and cartridges you favor, as well as your own hunting reports from Canada and / or anywhere else you’ve been.

Best regards,
Velo Dog.

Welcome to AH.

Marius, thanks for letting me know about the sportsman show, I will have to check my work schedule to see but I'm thinking I will have to make the short 4 hour drive south to attend.
Velo dog, sorry I dont actually have any hunting reports as I have only ever hunting around where I live and never with an outfitter, just friends and family. As far as cartridges I prefer older European metric cartridges such as the 6.5x55, 7x65r and 8x57js, have never needed anything bigger than that for around here. Same goes for rifles I prefer the European stuff, with blued steel and wood. Looking forward to all the wealth of info here to be discovered

Welcome to AH!

Welcome to AH Trevor!

Marius, thanks for letting me know about the sportsman show, I will have to check my work schedule to see but I'm thinking I will have to make the short 4 hour drive south to attend.
Velo dog, sorry I dont actually have any hunting reports as I have only ever hunting around where I live and never with an outfitter, just friends and family. As far as cartridges I prefer older European metric cartridges such as the 6.5x55, 7x65r and 8x57js, have never needed anything bigger than that for around here. Same goes for rifles I prefer the European stuff, with blued steel and wood. Looking forward to all the wealth of info here to be discovered

Hi again Trevor,

Not to worry in regards to hunting local and hunting with no outfitter.
Most of us generally don’t hire an outfitter except once in awhile, as in hunting Africa or other far from home locations.
At home, most members don’t hire anyone to take us to the woods.
And, for those of us who likely will never get an opportunity to hunt in Northern Ontario, it seems distant and exotic.

No pressure but, if you get around to it some day, perhaps you could click out a few sentences, in synopsis about one or two memorable times you’ve spent in the north woods.
Most of us enjoy reading about many hunting areas around the world.
Pictures are also quite welcome.

As for rifles and cartridges, I’m totally with you on those.
Rust blue and walnut are gifts from Heaven.
Furthermore, I’ve always marveled at big companies like Remington not chambering their youth model rifles in 6.5x55, instead of .243.
IMO, the Swede is a vastly superior cartridge for deer/pronghorn/pig and etc., than the .243 can ever hope to be.
My 6.5x55 is a CZ 550FS and although light and handy to carry, it shoots like a target rifle with 160 grain round nose bullets.

Similar topic, if Ruger suddenly woke up and built their #1 in 7x65R, with 26 inch barrel and an oval cheek piece stock, I’d buy one today.
Heck, I’d buy it with their regular, same as always ambidextrous stock if, the caliber and barrel length were offered.

Likewise if they’d have ever chambered their model 77 in 8x57S, I’d have bought one of those as well.
I’ve never owned a 7x65R but have fired one (a friend’s Simpson drilling) and liked it very much.
I have however owned a small pile of 8x57 Mausers, both uncut military ones and sporters alike.
Fantastic cartridge, very much under-appreciated in N. America.
Fortunately, Model 98’s in 8x57 are not usually expensive here in Alaska.
That’s of course when you finally locate one that has not been ruined by some nut sawing, grinding, sanding and drilling holes in it, until it becomes nothing more than an eye sore.

Well anyway,
Cheers,
Paul.
(Your neighbor in Alaska)

Welcome to the posting side

Trevor, glad to have you! Any plans as to what game and country you are going to?

Hi Trevor, welcome to AH !

Welcome aboard 7x65R. I had a buddy that lived near Sudbury I think the name of the town was Val Caron but I'm not sure. Sadly he passed away a few years back. I'm with you on the 6.5 x 55(s). That caliber is my go to rifle for deer and hogs. What caliber double are you looking for? What are you thinking of hunting with it? I also have a BRNO Super it is 12 Ga. over a 7 x 65R.

Hello,
My name is Trevor and come from northern ontario in Canada. Glad to be on board as there is a ton of information here about hunting and firearms. Originally found this site a few years ago looking for double rifle info, but I'm pretty sure I will be planning a safari for 2020 so looking for some good review and planning tips.
Hi there! Welcome to the community. You find there are quite a few Canucks on this site.

Welcome to our place Trevor

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Ridgewalker, I am not too sure yet where I would like to go on safari, i was originally thinking south africa, but have heard great things about namibia as well plus I have heard its safer, weather that is true or not I have no clue. Still not sure though as I have alot ot research to do as I would like to do some fishing and other tourist activities as well as a PG hunt. Shootist43, sorry to hear about you buddy from val caron, and yes I am from the sudbury area. I did end up finding a double a while back it is a merkel 140E in 7x65r. I mostly plan on hunting white tail deer with it as the bush is quite thick where I hunt and shots are usually under 50 yards. I still have more load development to do though to find one that shoots together.

Welcome! Be warned about hunting Africa my friend- big game hunting in shorts is terribly addicting once tried but once! :)

Welcome aboard!

Hello,
Welcome Trevor! Everything you have heard about Namibia is true. Still politically and economically the most stable country in Africa. If you are looking for old style, free range hunting where the total African experience is of importance, please have a look at our web site. Happy planning

This short video clip might inspire you to take one of your European classics on a Namibian adventure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanMatt

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg