Hello from Bwana Moja. Africa is NOT "The Dark Continent"

All, I reached out to Bwana Mojo and I can honestly say I misunderstood him. So I apologised for my over zealous reply to a fellow hunter who loves his sport and his continent and we put it all behind is both.
Welcome to AH Bwana Moja and a lesson to us all is to be sensitive of each other and don't jump to conclusions as I did. Happy hunting BM.

Not going to read all 3 pages here but I must agree with those who feel the term is not racist, I sure never thought of it that way, but rather a descriptive of the continent as a whole, dark and intriguing, much of it unknown and unexplored.
Never thought of it as a colonial term at all. I will continue to use Dark Continent, thanks very much.
Get enough WOKE BS every day here in the states.
And yeah, calling out Dark Continent as racist and calling yourself Bwana, (White Master), is a bit odd.

I am going to play "the emperor has no clothes" and tell Bwana Moja a few things:
1. You have VISITED africa-even if you are black, you are not part of any tribe. That means a lot.
2. Phrases like, "THEY want to lead THEIR way" or "let Africa lead" are inherently racist--you ONLY refer to black africans as though any other race is only there by "dhimmi" status, no matter how far back their african lineage goes. That would be like saying Europe is only for white people--all others can have their farms taken from them (whether with compensation or not), or run out, or businesses shuttered. Doesn't sound so good coming from another direction, does it. BTW, Africa is going to get a chance to try telling that to China soon--good luck.
3. Africa IS dark, but not because of outside racism rather it is dark because it is --endemically corrupt, tribal, dangerous to wander around in, in most large cities, stupidly run--sometimes by teenagers with guns, and stupidly run in just about every country! (yes, we are being stupidly run by Biden at the figurehead, but we have a depth of law and business practices to weather a temporary setback--Africa's default setting has long been a return to what most outsiders would consider backward practices, basic survival)
4. "let Africa lead" begs the question, "which africans"...would that mean the non-bushman historically johnny come lately blacks who invaded the country of South Africa from north driving the bushmen out of their original homeland? That happenned as recently as european settlement. Booting them out according to "pure" criteria would be like native americans booting out everyone else! Or like the US telling you to go back to some prehistoric homeland. Uncivilized thinking.

In short, we will know Africa is not a dark continent when they take a share of Nobel prizes, or scientific/medical achievement or come up to speed with citizen rights, business practices, property rights, just laws, banking security, etc. in ad finitum.
Maybe when a college educated woman in Durban doesn't think to ask me to shoot a vulture so the witch doctor can spread its entrails and predict the winner of a horse race.

But what does any of this really have to do with YOU--YOU ARE NOT AN AFRICAN. No one from Africa has elected you as their spokesman.

Last edited:
Pulling unethical stunts as well eh??:sick: And takes pride in them?!

To impress “friend” MS………

Very poor practices on display

Anybody know what “Dangerous Game Sniper” is in Swahili?
Wishfulthinker 580: Hunting ethics relative to method of take is not the subject matter of this thread. Your attempted attachment of my video here, unfortunately attempts to hijack this thread. If you want to take a shot at me, shoot, but make it relative to the subject matter at hand. I can take heat. And just so you know, what you might consider unethical with a gun because of your rifle capabilities, might be a simple chip shot and fairly low risk to others.

There are variables with ethics depending on one's hunting skills. For example, when I bow-hunt, which I'm just getting into, I stick to my ethical range of shooting distance. Before I pulled the trigger on that shot that you tried to post, I had four trackers, the game scout and three PH's sign off on it. One of the PH's is one of the most well-respected in Africa. It was 100% ethical and as you saw death was immediate, on DG, bcuz the shot was executed properly. You might have also seen the warning, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, which is part of my ethical responsibility to NOT encourage others to try this.

One pet peeve I'll share with you all, and this is mirrored by all my Africa friends who share the same skin tone as me. Please stop referring to that continent as "The Dark Continent." There's nothing about Africa that's dark anymore. That's a colonial days term. It's dated, disrespectful and portrays you as out of touch.

Marc,

We have met a few times at the shows, I do not pretend to know you nor do I have illusions that you would remember me. I have read one of your books and have the huge buffalo target you were selling, that was a great idea. Over the years I have been fortunate to have hunted in Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and the Republic of Congo. The experience is what I have always enjoyed, many of my best days did not involve firing a single shot. My hunt in the Republic of Congo will likely be one of the last of its kind, as it was self guided with the Pygmies. While my ink is not purchased by the barrel, more like a typewriter ribbon every once in a while, I have been published in magazines and have a couple of short stories included in a book.

I am from the deep south, mostly Cajun blood. When somebody calls me a coonass I bothers me not. We all can choose whether we are offended by a word or phrase. When I think of the dark continent the images of my trip to the rainforest come to mind. I equate the term "dark continent" to "a dark and mysterious woman". Both terms have a certain allure, romance, and for me a calling.

It seems the term dark continent derived from the inability to easily explore Africa. Until the last 100 or so years it was extremely difficult to access many places in Africa, even today many areas are extremely remote and inaccessible, hopefully they remain that way. It was not meant as a racial slur.

On the other hand "Bwana" was the term used widely in writings and in general to describe master or somebody superior. In colonial days that was always a white man.

It is interesting you go by Bwana Moja, and have done so for years, good for you. I do find it hypocritical that you would use one of the most colonial of words in your moniker and tell me I am disrespectful for using another seemingly inoffensive term.

That being said, it is my hope discussions in the future can focus on hunting experiences and future plans.

I re-read the OP. In hindsight, I don't think I misread it the first time.

Sorry, I don't have any world's records, have never ridden in a helicopter, and I'm not a writer so I can't write intelligent. I don't try to make others smarter because, quite frankly, I came here to learn not to teach. Heck, I even have a self-deprecating username so I'm probably just not smart enough to understand what I just read.

I do, however, want to take the opportunity to thank everyone at AH who have answer my questions about travel to and hunting in the Dark Continent. You all, collectively, made the trip flawless and the experience perfect.

I'll also thank everyone who bothered to look at a photo I might have taken and the words that might have spilled out. Thank you all.

Marc,

We have met a few times at the shows, I do not pretend to know you nor do I have illusions that you would remember me. I have read one of your books and have the huge buffalo target you were selling, that was a great idea. Over the years I have been fortunate to have hunted in Tanzania, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and the Republic of Congo. The experience is what I have always enjoyed, many of my best days did not involve firing a single shot. My hunt in the Republic of Congo will likely be one of the last of its kind, as it was self guided with the Pygmies. While my ink is not purchased by the barrel, more like a typewriter ribbon every once in a while, I have been published in magazines and have a couple of short stories included in a book.

I am from the deep south, mostly Cajun blood. When somebody calls me a coonass I bothers me not. We all can choose whether we are offended by a word or phrase. When I think of the dark continent the images of my trip to the rainforest come to mind. I equate the term "dark continent" to "a dark and mysterious woman". Both terms have a certain allure, romance, and for me a calling.

It seems the term dark continent derived from the inability to easily explore Africa. Until the last 100 or so years it was extremely difficult to access many places in Africa, even today many areas are extremely remote and inaccessible, hopefully they remain that way. It was not meant as a racial slur.

On the other hand "Bwana" was the term used widely in writings and in general to describe master or somebody superior. In colonial days that was always a white man.

It is interesting you go by Bwana Moja, and have done so for years, good for you. I do find it hypocritical that you would use one of the most colonial of words in your moniker and tell me I am disrespectful for using another seemingly inoffensive term.

That being said, it is my hope discussions in the future can focus on hunting experiences and future plans.
Good take Mike. You speak from experience and having boots on the ground. You've been to Africa enough times to know we all call each other Bwana and it's meant as a term of endearment and respect. I'm presuming you might have greeted an African man this way a time or two, meaning no disrespect to anyone as it left your mouth. Let's maybe dialogue offline. I'd be interested in learning more perspective from you. I respect your body of work as a hunter and as a man and as a person.

Wishfulthinker 580: Hunting ethics relative to method of take is not the subject matter of this thread. Your attempted attachment of my video here, unfortunately attempts to hijack this thread. If you want to take a shot at me, shoot, but make it relative to the subject matter at hand. I can take heat. And just so you know, what you might consider unethical with a gun because of your rifle capabilities, might be a simple chip shot and fairly low risk to others.

There are variables with ethics depending on one's hunting skills. For example, when I bow-hunt, which I'm just getting into, I stick to my ethical range of shooting distance. Before I pulled the trigger on that shot that you tried to post, I had four trackers, the game scout and three PH's sign off on it. One of the PH's is one of the most well-respected in Africa. It was 100% ethical and as you saw death was immediate, on DG, bcuz the shot was executed properly. You might have also seen the warning, DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS, which is part of my ethical responsibility to NOT encourage others to try this.
I posted that video without comment. Wishfulthinker 580 simply commented on it. You put it on the internet, so it’s obviously something you approve of or are proud of. That has to be one of the stupidest videos I’ve ever seen posted by a “hunter”. I know several fellows here in Texas that can shoot a buffalo in the face from 500 yards, much less 162. Would they? Hell no. That’s not how you hunt buffalo. I don’t give a shit how many trackers and game scouts and PHs signed off on it. You simply used a buffalo for target practice and a stunt.

I have twice shot 15 dove with 15 shots. The longest was 62 yards passing, left to right. Big white wing. It was judged as the best shot I’ve ever made, by the judges. Took it right through the right eye. DON’T TRY THAT AT HOME.

I stated early on, that I write intelligent pieces, to inform and enlighten, to make one smarter and aware of stuff that perhaps one didn't know about. I'd like to think that I've spent enough time in Africa, slept alongside enough people in their quarters, communicated with them enough times in their native tongies, which lays the foundation of that which I write about.

It was first in 1994, when I was interviewing the late Nelson Mandela, that it came to my attention that this label, placed on Africa by Henry Stanley in his 1878 book, Through The Dark Continent, is perceived by many Africans, as a condescending term. For the better part of the last two decades I have conducted interviews with Africans on this subject matter. Yes, when first used, it spoke to the "mysterious and unknown" aspects of Africa. It also took on an imperialistic context of legitiizing the enslavement of Africans and exploitation of Africa's resources.

Don't hate on me as the scrivener. I'm only passing on to you as a messenger that which I've learned and uncovered to be reality here in 2022. I am also writing a longer comprehensive piece hopefully to be published by EOY.

WAB: The term Bwana Moja was given to me by four Zambian men in 2004. When an African person gives you a name, it is often out of respect bestowing upon you a term of endearment. In Swahili, one of the most widely spoken languages in Africa, "Bwana" is translated continent-wide to mean sir or mister. My Professional Hunter Peter Chipman at the time, is the Zambian man who encouraged me to accept this honor. So the name has sort of just stuck over the years. There's a video on YouTube that details more, the very moment African trackers started referring to me as Bwana Moja.
---
And yes, I understand the pushback some of you may have. Of course I anticipated it! But Africans are asking to world to do away with the labels and dated descriptions, that were placed on them from outside the walls of Africa. They want to lead their way, on the distribution of their resources. They dislike outsiders telling them how to regulate the hunting of their animals. Their battle cry, is "Let Africa Lead." Resistance to this is termed as "neocolonialism." Also, if someone asked me to stop calling him a certain name because it's inappropriate, I would certainly be inclined to oblige. Especially if it was a name not necessarily placed on you by your peers.

Randy Bo: The title reference to Capstick's book is done out of professional respect and attribution to what another writer has written. Those are the rules of my trade. As you read further and also noted, I take exception to some of what Capstick has written regarding the cape buffalo. Every professional hunter in Africa who I screened this with, stood with me in solidarity. The cape buffalo does have weaknesses. Capstick's literature contibuted mightily to understanding of the bush. But as hunting has evolved, that which he spoke about then, doesn't pass muster today. As a contemporary writer along with thousands of others, our latest literature corrects the record, likely only to be debunked in future generations.

We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I suspect that over the past few decades I have spent every bit as much time in Africa as most. The humanitarian work I have been involved in has resulted in many months on development projects in slums. Combined with numerous safaris, touring, and visiting friends, these travels have taken me to a dozen or so countries getting to know folks from the poorest to the wealthiest in their respective countries. In all of this travel I have never had an African express any concern over this phrase.

One of my best friends is a Burundian refugee who was forced to become a child soldier in the Rwanda/Burundi war. Out of curiosity I called him on WhatsApp to ask this question. He laughed and said that the only people he’s heard it from are corrupt politicians trying to divert people’s attention from the fact that they are selling their country’s to the Chinese.

Frankly, I am sick of the woke movement redefining words and claiming offense where none was intended or given.

Flipper already responded for me and I agree wholeheartedly with his post.

I don’t care what PH approved it or how many there were. Also don’t care how good of a shot you are or anyone is for that matter. You pulled a stunt for the camera. It was unethical. Period.

I also just saw you or someone (most likely at your behest) else just made the video private. Now no one here can view it.

Seriously?? If you’re so proud of your actions and they’re so defensible you need to own it. Nice hat btw :cautious:

Welcome to AH!

My opinion is that someone that comes in with such a strong statement has other interests at hand. You stated you would like to use some members comments in reference to the term "dark continent".
Makes me wonder if you were perhaps "fishing" for content to use in your next article or book and the shotgun blast effect of your intial post was all part of your plan/goal.

Again welcome to AH.

Good take Mike. You speak from experience and having boots on the ground. You've been to Africa enough times to know we all call each other Bwana and it's meant as a term of endearment and respect. I'm presuming you might have greeted an African man this way a time or two, meaning no disrespect to anyone as it left your mouth. Let's maybe dialogue offline. I'd be interested in learning more perspective from you. I respect your body of work as a hunter and as a man and as a person.
Bwana is not a term I ever remember using in Africa. When addressing a man with respect, in particular an older man I would call him "Mzee".

This black white issue that most of our rainbow nation didn’t even experience needs to stop,we are all Africans that reside here ,and together we can build or destroy.Unfortunately we on the blame the minority path .We can do this together,we need to pull our head out the sand and not pick at stupid phrases or the past as a blame game against us Africans because of your colour,we are one nation at the end .Our current government still has forms that ask race ,,,,,,,really ,so many years down the line but wait the “The Dark continent“ is however the issue .Come live here OP and see how sadly your own colour is treated by there own ,sickening.

Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me. Good grief, now someone is bitching about the Dark Continent. Seems like the WOKE movement has invaded the hunting fraternity.

Take a hike, bro.

Greetings to All,

I might know a handful of the good women and men who contribute to this forum. I met Jerome a few years back. He gave me a really cool hat and it blew off my head when I was taking a helicopter ride hovering above the Okavango Delta.

I might chime in from time to time. I'm here to read more than write. Someone had written somewhere on one of these forums that I had exited hunting and had become anti 2A. That was trash. Some chump trying to take a shot at me. Wasn't the first time.

I'm a world record lesser kudu and bongo away, from just about everything I'm after on the big continent. I'm doing alot more writing for SCI publications and elsewhere, than hunting now. That's for sure. I guess I reached that point where there's really...not that much else to take. I'm still deeply embedded in Africa, flying over periodically to go hang out with my African friends. If there's really something splendid I'll chase it. Been chasing a 17-18 foot croc forever now. Passed on a few 16-footers. I believe there's a 60" LDE lurking, if I can ever get back into C.A.R.. I'd pay a pretty penny to go after Giant Sable in Angola, if it ever reopened, to benefit conservation.

My love affair with that continent has laid the foundation for my affinity for writing about African safaris and animals. I try to write intelligent pieces. Stuff that other writers don't write. Stuff that you don't even know. I'm not good at writing the same ole stuff everyone else does. I write to make the hunting community smarter, and to enable you to come home in one piece and shoot just one shot. Not doing any filming anymore or video production.

One pet peeve I'll share with you all, and this is mirrored by all my Africa friends who share the same skin tone as me. Please stop referring to that continent as "The Dark Continent." There's nothing about Africa that's dark anymore. That's a colonial days term. It's dated, disrespectful and portrays you as out of touch. We're trying hard on this side of the world to revolt against any acts of neo-colonialism. That above-referenced moniker was placed on that part of the world by people living outside of Africa. It's high time to do away with it. I know you might think it has such a good ring to it. But it doesn't. It's a cuss word.

That's all for now.
Asante,
Moja

View attachment 482439
Hello Moja, very good to see you here. I've enjoyed your articles in the "Gazette". Very informative and a great read. I've had a couple of articles printed in the same publication. My favorite was Annies Hunt where I write about taking my youngest daughter to Namibia in 2019 to share a hunt. Fond memories indeed. I'll look forward to your input to this forum and again good to have you on board.

Welcome to the A H forums

Hey, Bwana! Long time no see, old friend.
Guys, relax. Bwana is one of us. A little overtly emotional on trivial issues perhaps, but a first class sportsman and his heart’s definitely in the right place.

PS: I never thought of the word “Dark Continent” as racist. But I guess some might.

Flipper already responded for me and I agree wholeheartedly with his post.

I don’t care what PH approved it or how many there were. Also don’t care how good of a shot you are or anyone is for that matter. You pulled a stunt for the camera. It was unethical. Period.

I also just saw you or someone (most likely at your behest) else just made the video private. Now no one here can view it.

Seriously?? If you’re so proud of your actions and they’re so defensible you need to own it. Nice hat btw :cautious:
OK to both of you gentlemen, if you don't like my videos post a comment in the comments section at YT. You don't have access to repurpose my content. Safeguards are in place to try to prevent that. And if the video is so bad, why would you want to repost it. You're just helping me get video views. Secondly, we can even talk about my videos elsewhere. We can talk about all your buddies in Texas who can shoot bison and buffalypsos from 500 yards. But that's not the subject of this thread. Finally here's a little trick about Africa. You don't go there to use dangerous game as target practice. You do your practicing before you get there. Glad you liked my hat.

Hilarious. I wouldn’t want to discuss it here either. Good day to you, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!