Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Hello AH members,
Just signed up yesterday after looking around at the forum section and getting some great tips and tricks about hunting Africa. I have never been to Africa but it is #1 on my bucket list to do so. I feel so blessed being able to live in AK and get to hunt here every fall. I have hunted in Texas, Alabama, New York, Pennsylvania, and Vermont mostly for deer and birds with the occasional hog thrown in. My ultimate trip would be to hunt Buffalo, Croc, and Hippo with Eland and Gemsbuck thrown in for good measure. I often wonder with my limited budget if it would be better to take two separate trips to Africa and pick off the species that I want in two trips rather than one. OF course the wife might question the validity of taking two trips to Africa but that is for me to figure out(Plead for dear life). Any suggestions on a course of action for completing my ultimate dream would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to looking through more of the site and getting some great tips from those of you who have been to Africa. Thanks for taking the time to read my spiel and happy hunting to you all.
Roy:rockon:

BnC 04

Gold supporter
AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, RMEF, DU, NWTF, NRA
Hunted
Canada/Europe/Africa/14 US States
Welcome to AH Roy! Your sure to find all the answers to any questions you may have. LOTS of great outfitters that are active members here on AH.
Hows the spring bear season shaping up for you guys up North?

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
AfricaHunting.com
Media
Articles
Welcome to AH Roy! Nice to have you with us Explore AH some more and you will soon be on your way to Africa!

SafariA

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Welcome Roy !

Yes one or two trips ... I say one for the animals ... You will start picking animals for the second unintended hunt on day 2 :ballchain: !!!! Enjoy the Forum ! It will be very informative and a blast !

Happy Hunting !!!

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
Welcome to AH, Roy.
I would say two trips, and choose the best ç–µeas for the different animals.
Anyway, you will get professional advice from the Outfitters on the Forum.

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Thanks BnC 04. The winter here was opposite of what went on down in the "lower 48" as we were actually much warmer than normal. Expecting an early spring but that is just my expectations. It has been in the 40's a couple of times already this month with temps in January reaching upper 30's and the thaw seems to be under way so it may not take long. Mother nature sure seems to want to do her own thing though so will have to see how we end up but the beginning of spring sure looks promising. Bears should be on the move earlier than normal. I like your quote about the wife and a job since I can relate due to having both. Thanks for the response and happy hunting. By the way, I live in Fairbanks.

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Thanks Jerome,
Look forward to looking around!

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Hi Richard, It's the unintended animals that I am afraid of. Getting there will be half the battle, the other half will not be shooting everything that I possibly could while there. Thanks.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Welcome to AH.
Enjoy your time here.
Self restraint is always an issue when hunting in Africa.

Good luck planning your tripS.

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
Hunted
australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
welcome to AH ,roy
enjoy the site .
id do it in two trips , enjoy the planning and the hunt .

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Hi Bluey,
I was thinking it would be better to do it in two trips just for the amount of animals I want to take. I looked at your profile and noticed you are from australia. I had the pleasure in '06 of going there and fishing off the GB reef for Black Marlin and had a blast. That was actually #1 on my bucket list so now that I have done that the Africa trip has moved up to take it's spot. Hope to make it back to Australia someday and see more of your country than just the coast. Happy hunting.
Roy

Mtgoat

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, NRA Life Member
Hunted
Namibia, Canada (BC, SK, Nunavut & NWT), US (Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Nebraska, New Mexico, NY, Ohio, South Dakota, Texas, & Washington)
Say Man,
Welcome to AH - you'll find folks who have a lot of experience in African hunting. They'll have the answers you need. If they don't have the answers, you must not need to know. :)

One trip or 2? That's an easy one. The odds say that if you make one trip, you'll make another. Africa is addictive. So, you might as well plan for two trips from the start.

Enjoy!

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Thanks Mtgoat,
The more I think of it the more that two trips sound better and fun. Just a matter of figuring what to get and when. Good hunting to you!

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
Hi Bluey,
I was thinking it would be better to do it in two trips just for the amount of animals I want to take. I looked at your profile and noticed you are from australia. I had the pleasure in '06 of going there and fishing off the GB reef for Black Marlin and had a blast. That was actually #1 on my bucket list so now that I have done that the Africa trip has moved up to take it's spot. Hope to make it back to Australia someday and see more of your country than just the coast. Happy hunting.
Roy

roy , now its bad manners to tell and not show ,a tale of black marlin . we need pictures mate.
hope you make it back down too mate . theres a lot to see and do

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Sorry bluey,
It was an excellent trip with captain Bill Billson aboard the viking. I had three days and caught eight marlin between about 250-800 lbs. Will dig up some pics and post tomorrow. Sorry to keep you in suspense.
Roy

bluey

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Hunted
no need to be sorry mate .
just shit stirring , but would enjoy seeing your fish pix .

enysse

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
Welcome to AH, Roy! Two trips for sure.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Welcome to AH

With your list 2 trips. Heres why
1) You have an expensive list. 2 trips means you can go on one while saving for the next. Either dangerous game or Plains game.
2) The plainsgame can be found in either South Africa or Namibia as a cheap safari. The DG can be found in any number of countries that have great DG hunting but may not have much plainsgame. No Gemsbok for sure.

Take the wife on a limited plains game safari while you save for a DG hunt. You will both become addicted.

Say Man

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA, NAHC
Hunted
US
Thanks Diamondhitch,
I wish the trip would be as high on my wife's wish list as mine but alas it is not. Although I would have no doubt she would have a good time she has several other trips that are higher on her list. I think I am already addicted and I haven't even gone yet!! I was thinking that an introductory safari would be in order but just have to figure out what to go for to "ease" into hunting Africa. Good hunting and thanks for the info.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Thanks Diamondhitch,
I wish the trip would be as high on my wife's wish list as mine but alas it is not. Although I would have no doubt she would have a good time she has several other trips that are higher on her list. I think I am already addicted and I haven't even gone yet!! I was thinking that an introductory safari would be in order but just have to figure out what to go for to "ease" into hunting Africa. Good hunting and thanks for the info.

Fix this by explaining to her how much money she can "save" buying diamonds while on the trip. This is also a reason for trip two. The diamonds on trip one cost a lot, but they pay off by your getting to go back!

And welcome to AH!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceCrow3

Latest profile posts

Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J