458 Exp

AH senior member
Reaction score
Member of
CHASA, BASA,
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania, Namibia
Hi all

I’m Rudi from Johannesburg, South Africa.
Started hunting at the age of 6 and haven’t stopped yet.

Love big bore rifles and own a few currently.

Brno 602 in 458 3” Express
Winchester M70 in 416 RM
Brno 602 in 375 H&H
Custom 375 H&H

and then plains game rifles.

Hope to share some knowledge I’ve build up over the years

Last edited:
Welcome to AH Rudi!

Giday Rudi and welcome to the A H forums

Welcome aboard Rudi. With the gun owning restrictions in the RSA how did you manage to acquire several of the same caliber? I thought was frowned on. What species of animals have you taken with your "big bores?"

Welcome to AH! Look forward to your contribution!

Welcome aboard!

Pleasure to meet you Rudi! I could stand a bit of that winter right now. It was lovely a week ago when I was near Komga. Here now in southern Michigan it is humid and sweltering .
What’s on your hunting bucket list?

Hallo Rudi,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Totsiens,
Paul.

PS:
It’s cold here in Alaska at the moment as well. Heh heh.

Welcome aboard Rudi!

Welcome to the best hunting site on the interweb

Welcome Rudi! Just got back from RSA yesterday, hunted Free States and Limpopo. The Free States were a little chilly but not cold to this old TN hillbilly!

Welcome aboard Rudi. With the gun owning restrictions in the RSA how did you manage to acquire several of the same caliber? I thought was frowned on. What species of animals have you taken with your "big bores?"

Hi Shootist43

I have something called Dedicated Hunter and Dedicated Sport Shooting status.
Which allows me to apply for more firearm than the normal public which may only have 4.
As for multiple rifles in same caliber, you need to convince the licensing dept that the rifles are for different applications.

Ie one is a 23” barrel, iron sights for dense bush hunting. Other has a 25”, scope mounted, more open bush and some plains game.

I’ve taken Buffalo, Eland and Giraffe with my big bores. And quite a few Kudus, Zebra and Wildebees with my 375’s

Last edited:
Welcome Rudi! Just got back from RSA yesterday, hunted Free States and Limpopo. The Free States were a little chilly but not cold to this old TN hillbilly!

We Hunted the weekend of the 21st May on the border between Freestate and Northern Cape.
That Sunday morning while packing up to drive back home was -4 degrees Celsius, and that’s colder than my sub tropical body can handle …. ;-)

Welcome to AH! I love your rifle and cartridge choices.

Welcome aboard!

Cold... please clarify. When I was there a couple weeks ago it sure felt like summer to me... :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

This morning was 3 degrees Celsius which is freezing for someone that only has a “real” winter 3 months of the year.

When my two Labrador retrievers don’t want to go outside for a pee I know it’s cold ... lol

This morning was 3 degrees Celsius which is freezing for someone that only has a “real” winter 3 months of the year.

When my two Labrador retrievers don’t want to go outside for a pee I know it’s cold ... lol
Yeah, that's way too cold for me in June. That'd freeze the balls off a hippo! It was 86F here today in Colorado!

Hallo Sakkie!

Hou op kla, dis kouer hier waar ek is

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg