Heavy Bullets in the 35 Whelen

Bob,

This is just my highly biased opinion but the 35 Whelen is better than the 9.3 x 62 because of the lighter weight bullets available for it, currently, you can buy factory ammo for the Whelen from 180 thru 310 grains.

Nice to see a Whelen topic posted up on here. I've just a couple of weeks ago found a gunsmith to build one for me - they're not at all common in the UK. The 9.3x62 would have been an easy route as they're not uncommon. A much more European cartridge.

I came to a very similar conclusion to what has been said above though. The weight range of bullets is huge compared to the 9.3. If you move away from factory ammo you can even use .357 pistol bullets in it for small game and pests, taking it's useful range down to under 100gr. That made it better for me. I plan to load 250gr Speer SPBT in it initially as they're reasonably cheap and have a good reputation in this cartridge. Dare I say it, I may even manage to get a cast bullet set up for it. That would be nice.

I was pretty set on using RL15 as my powder in it but I see here that CFE223 is also highly regarded. I'll try that, I have some here already that I don't use in any of my other rifles so I may as well use it up!

Nice to see a Whelen topic posted up on here. I've just a couple of weeks ago found a gunsmith to build one for me - they're not at all common in the UK. The 9.3x62 would have been an easy route as they're not uncommon. A much more European cartridge.

I came to a very similar conclusion to what has been said above though. The weight range of bullets is huge compared to the 9.3. If you move away from factory ammo you can even use .357 pistol bullets in it for small game and pests, taking it's useful range down to under 100gr. That made it better for me. I plan to load 250gr Speer SPBT in it initially as they're reasonably cheap and have a good reputation in this cartridge. Dare I say it, I may even manage to get a cast bullet set up for it. That would be nice.

I was pretty set on using RL15 as my powder in it but I see here that CFE223 is also highly regarded. I'll try that, I have some here already that I don't use in any of my other rifles so I may as well use it up!
@njc110381
Mate have a look at the Speer reloading site for a load for the 250gn you won't be disappointed
20200628_093655.jpg

njc110381, I have a friend that has used cast bullets in his 35 Whelen to take Michigan White-tails for the past 15-20 years. When you are ready, I'll get his "pet" cast bullet load for you.
I'd be very grateful for that, thanks. My only restriction with cast is having to make 1700ft-lbs of energy, so generally it needs to be heavy to get there. In the Whelen though that's not difficult. I went for a 12 twist barrel to make sure it could do heavy well if needed.

@njc110381
Mate have a look at the Speer reloading site for a load for the 250gn you won't be disappointed
Those are impressive figures. I also found some 220gr data (changed the number in the address bar to see if it worked!) A lot of the forestry areas here are starting to insist upon non toxic ammo for deer, so I've gone for the 225gr Barnes TSX initially as it's something I could easily get. Turns out I don't have CFE223, I must have used it up, but my local shop stocks it so when the bullets and brass arrive I'll pick up a couple of tubs of that too. It's in second place for both the 220gr and 250gr Speer bullets, the first being two different Alliant offerings depending on weight.

Typical of me, the 9.3x62 is an easy one to find and feed in the UK. I just wasn't sure I liked it so much because the bullet range is more limited. I really like the idea of shooting 158gr pistol bullets though - I've already figured out a subsonic load which should match the trajectory of a .22lr but offer 3x the energy.

I'd be very grateful for that, thanks. My only restriction with cast is having to make 1700ft-lbs of energy, so generally it needs to be heavy to get there. In the Whelen though that's not difficult. I went for a 12 twist barrel to make sure it could do heavy well if needed.

Those are impressive figures. I also found some 220gr data (changed the number in the address bar to see if it worked!) A lot of the forestry areas here are starting to insist upon non toxic ammo for deer, so I've gone for the 225gr Barnes TSX initially as it's something I could easily get. Turns out I don't have CFE223, I must have used it up, but my local shop stocks it so when the bullets and brass arrive I'll pick up a couple of tubs of that too. It's in second place for both the 220gr and 250gr Speer bullets, the first being two different Alliant offerings depending on weight.

Typical of me, the 9.3x62 is an easy one to find and feed in the UK. I just wasn't sure I liked it so much because the bullet range is more limited. I really like the idea of shooting 158gr pistol bullets though - I've already figured out a subsonic load which should match the trajectory of a .22lr but offer 3x the energy.
njc110381
Shootist43 gets some pretty impressive velocities using the 225grain Barnes he might give you his load.
The 225grain accubonds or Woodleigh bullets are good bullets as well.
Check out the nosler reloading site.
Bob

Again, with these much heavier for caliber bullets in basically a .35-06, please consider a .375 or .400 Whelen if you must have the ‘06 as the parent cartridge? You guys are killing me with these heavy bullets and higher pressures in an ‘06 case. I use a 225gr. bullet in my .338WM and 270gr. in my .375 H and H? I’m all for experimenting, but there comes a point with diminishing returns?
@CoElkHunter
There i sn't any flies on a 275 grain 35 cal at 2,500 fps.
Bob

that 350 gn swift load looks interesting.
what say the big bear hunters about this?
it might also do well an sambar deer in Victoria, south east oz, where terrain suited.
you and bob nelson are on the same page with cfe223.
if I need some, I know he will share his supply with me.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
You don't need anything that big for sambar. Those Victorians are just pissing in your pocket mate. The 444 Marlin is to much gun for them.
The last sambar stag I got was with a 270 Winchester using 130 grain ACPs. Bang flop.
Bob

I’ve been playing with the 35W for about 30 yrs now, mostly wild hogs up close and personal down in Georgia. My experience has mostly been with the 250 gr Hornady round nose loaded over 58-60 gr. of RL-15. I can’t remember ever recovering a bullet or loosing an animal shot with this load. It always penetrated 6-7 jugs, expanded to a little over 1/2” and weighed around 180 grains. Velocity was between 2400-2500 fps depending on whether I was shooting it out of a 19” Ruger M77 or my 24” M700.
I recently had a 35W pulled in to a stainless M70 for the specific purpose of shooting the 310 woodleigh bullets. The rifle has a 1:12 twist and a 22 inch barrel. I can easily get 2200 fps with RL15. Accuracy is ok about 1 1/2” at that velocity. If pushed faster accuracy goes to 2 -3”. With 2000MR I get 2650 fps with 250 gr. Hornady bullets and I think that’s a bit to fast, penetration is 5 jugs and weight retention drops to 140-150 grs. So I’m wanting to try 2000mr with the 310 woodleigh RN bullets. My goal would be to find an accurate load that’s hitting 2350-2400 if possible. Has any one have any experience working with 2000mr and the heavies. Looking for advice on where to start.

Sierra loads always seem “hot” compared to other manuals, with bullets of similar weight and construction.
I think it is because sierra bullets are super precise bullets built for accuracy, but when the hit something they may as well be made of tin foil. Their jackets are very thin and the cores are pure lead (soft as it is) but then they swage the lead which work softens it further still and none of them are bonded. That all adds up to a bullet that's really easy to squish down the barrel, keeping pressures low. That's why you can run them a little hotter. Include in that the long swept boat tails most of their bullets have and you limit bearing surface, lowering pressure further. Try those same loads with an equivalent weight A-Frame and pressures will be significantly higher.

A-Frame
I think it is because sierra bullets are super precise bullets built for accuracy, but when the hit something they may as well be made of tin foil. Their jackets are very thin and the cores are pure lead (soft as it is) but then they swage the lead which work softens it further still and none of them are bonded. That all adds up to a bullet that's really easy to squish down the barrel, keeping pressures low. That's why you can run them a little hotter. Include in that the long swept boat tails most of their bullets have and you limit bearing surface, lowering pressure further. Try those same loads with an equivalent weight A-Frame and pressures will be significantly higher.
A-Frames use a pure copper jacket which is sticky and adds to the pressure increase

Has any one loaded 275gr. to 310gr. bullets in the 35 Whelen?
I have some 275gr. Hawk bullets on order. I have not found much load data for heavy bullets in the 35 Whelen. If any one has used any brand of .358 bullets of 275gr and bigger in their 35 Whelen I would like to hear your experience and any load data you suggest, starting load, expected muzzle velocity, ect.

Thanks
@35400Whelen
Have a look at my latest post .
Finally worked up some loads for my Whelen

@35400Whelen
Have a look at my latest post .
Finally worked up some loads for my Whelen

Nice. With those 250gr loads you're basically duplicating the .318 Nitro Express (WR). This is where I've always thought the .35 Whelen should ideally live. Great loads, optimal moderate velocity, fantastic sectional density, easy to reload.

Nice. With those 250gr loads you're basically duplicating the .318 Nitro Express (WR). This is where I've always thought the .35 Whelen should ideally live. Great loads, optimal moderate velocity, fantastic sectional density, easy to reload.
@Tom Leoni
The 318 velocity with the 250gr is 2,400fps
The Whelen is capable of 2,700fps.
So a big difference.
Bob

Capable of. In my case, I would keep the velocity the same. I am a fan of that magic range between 2,000 and 2,500 fps.

JPW, yes, perhaps you can say that. :) Because a cartridge is capable of being pushed at X velocity it doesn't mean I have to push it to the max. I'm having perfectly good results with moderate ballistics--mostly those that duplicate classic British cartridges. I'm sure I'm missing out, but I'm too old to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg