Hearing Protection

Black Fly

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunted
Namibia
I wear hearing aids. Mine do not have compression for loud noises. I don't hear much without them. I cannot hear normal woods noises without them, nor can I usually understand conversational speech from most people without them. So I now need hearing enhancement when I'm out hunting.
Yes, i could get new real hearing aids that would include this, but my audiologist tells me I'm in the over $5000 per ear price range. I would not want to wear anything that expensive in the woods.
Anyone with experience with Game Ear or similar ear buds?
Thanks
Bfly

PS. wear hearing protection, if you don't you will regret it.

I use over the ear muffs [and hearing aids ] with the compression for loud noises.
I’m in same boat as you are.
Seems to do a good job for me.

Electronic muffs are the way to go. The only issue I have with a lot of e-muffs, is the low NRR. A lot are 22-24 dB reduction. You need >29 dB.

I wear hearing aids, too, and don't hear much without them. Mine cost me about $ 5500.00US but they are the only ones that work for me. I wear Sport Ear electronics on the range and hunting. They don't interfere with my aids and still block loud noises while amplifying normal sounds. I was shooting the other day and forgot to take my aids out when I put my ears on. The muffs worked fine, blocking loud sounds and amplifying normal sounds even with my aids in. They are slim so they don't affect your cheek weld.

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
I wear the electronic muffs at the range. That works great. I have behind the ear units that make wearing with muffs uncomfortable, so most of the time they are in a case in my pocket when the range is hot.
I have not found the combination workable in the woods. Even with the little clips to hold them more firmly to my ears, if I lift the muffs off for a bit of air, they fall off. I quit wearing my hearing aids in the woods over a year ago when one flipped off my ear and I spent an extremely anxious half hour looking for it in the oak leaves. I can't afford to replace them, if I loose them.
Just trying to find a less valuable thing to loose.
Bfly

Mine are behind the ear type and the Sport Ears don't bother. It's either the way they're made or I just don't notice them.

Hi Black Fly,
I always wear electronic over ear muffs when on the range that block out the shot but amplify normal conversations. After my first safari in Namibia this year, I noticed a slight, constant ringing in the ears, and I can only assume it is from the unprotected shooting I did. Anyway, I am also fair skinned, so like to wear a wide brimmed hat for sun protection, so over ear muffs won't do. I found a set of in ear plugs that block out gunshots, but amplify the ambient sounds. They are called Otto Noizebarriers, available online for $349 US, shipped to your door. I have not hunted with them, but they work very well for me on the range so far. I cannot speak to how they would work for you with your hearing level now, but they may be an option for you.

I also wear hearing aids, the kind that go inside the ear channel. While hunting, I use electronic muffs. A silenced gun is also a good option.

On the range, which is louder, I take off the hearing aids, and put on ear plugs, plus muffs.

I think this is an interesting conversation. I wear hearing protection at the range, but out hunting I do not because I can't hear the PH whisper, I can't hear a twig crack, I can't hear a lot of ambient sound, etc. Granted, my hearing is already not great (lost it in the sandbox, never time for hearing protection) but with ear protection I'm useless in the field. Does anyone here hunt with hearing protection? If so, what do you use?

At the range, I wear both ear plugs and muffs. While in the field hunting, I will put one ear plug in and leave the other out. The ear plugs have a lanyard and it's looped around my neck. For most shots, I usually have time to put the other plug in. I've been thinking about getting some of the electronic ear buds, so I am finding this thread very interesting and helpful.

I have three sets of custom molded ear plugs for a variety of activities.
My job has me in loud spaces along with motorcycling and shooting.

The wife and I double up at the range with the custom plugs and muffs when we are not shooting.
We take the muffs off to shoot because they interfere with a good cheek weld.

In the field we carry the plugs and put them in when needed.
It only takes a few seconds and will save us both from tinnitus/hearing loss in the future.
You can still hear someone whispering in your ear (like a PH) but the blast of the rifle won't leave you in pain.

I’ve been using a custom molded in ear set from Tactacal Hearing for several years. I’ve been well satisfied with the hearing enhancement and the suppression.

https://www.tacticalhearing.com/
RE: Tactical Hearing / Tim Sparks: My experience;
I purchased this defective product on the advice of a friend and outfitter, who I will save from embarrassment by not naming here. I was gearing up for a dangerous game hunt in Africa, and so was willing to pay the $3000 + to give myself an edge in the field. Long story short, they failed in the middle of pursuing a wounded Cape Buffalo. Not a good situation. Disgusted with the product, and with myself for being suckered into paying over 3 Grand for such garbage, I threw them in my field kit and tried to forget about them. I did pull them out a few times to use as hearing protection for shooting, but they never amplified sound again after that first outing. They were essentially a super comfortable custom molded ear-plug that cost three thousand bucks.
I was too embarrassed and furious to contact Tim Sparks again after being suckered so badly the first time. Couple years later I was fishing with my friend (who was there when the units failed, literally the month after I purchased them.) He asked if Tim had taken care of the issue, and I told him I never tried to find out. He encouraged me to contact him and send them in, assuring me that Tim Sparks was an honest guy and would take care of the product. So I did contact Tim, and he said "sure, send them in." I told him I was going to be hunting in Zimbabwe and would like them back before that. "No Problem", he assured me. Well, I went on my Zim hunt with no Tactical Hearing units, and without even a communication from them whatsoever. When I returned a month later, I again contacted Tim and asked what was the deal. He sounded surprised. "Oh, nobody contacted you? Well its been three years so it will cost you another $515 to repair the defective unit," Never mind that their website claims that they stand behind workmanship defects for 5 YEARS. What a crock, or should I say crook. Tim Sparks wants to charge me $500 Bucks to repair what is most likely a defective solder joint. Slimy, crooked bastards, don't get suckered like I did.
Postscript: I just returned from overseas to find the defective product had been mailed back to me, four and a half months later and unrepaired.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.04 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 155
I have a pair of custom fit Sport Ear. I had to send them in this year for repairs. $100. They only fixed one of the problems and claimed it was ear wax - the left one immediately stopped working after I fired my rifle this year. The right one will turn off if turn the volume all the way high. Glad I have a pair of cheap ear muffs.

Recently, I've started to wear a set of 3M Peltor protac ear defenders for all my shooting, range and hunting, centrefire and shotgun.

These: https://www.ardmoor.co.uk/peltor-protac-shooter-jrpepts

They're comfy, give decent (32dB) attenuation and amplify ambient noises so you can hear normal sounds just as clearly with as without.

Cost me about £100 I suppose, paid for themselves now anyway and cheaper than a £5000 hearing aid.

For hunting they have the added advantage of keeping my cap on and also keeping my ears warm and dry in colder weather. They also seem acceptably weather and waterproof, even for crawling around in Scottish burns.

I can't say how long the batteries last as I haven't had to replace them yet, but thus far they've lasted approx 18hours of use per month since last June. They're only AAs anyway, so couple quid a year.

That said, the Sordin Pro X are very slightly nicer to use with better speaker audio and a bit less wind noise, so they'll be the next pair I buy, if and when these give up the ghost.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.45 PM.png
    865 KB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.27.47 PM.png
    683.2 KB · Views: 162
I have used the walker game ears, elite hd power for a few years. No problems. Just keep a supply of batteries on hand.

I use the Howard Leight Impact Sports earmuffs.

I like the SureFire Sonic Defenders. They are in-ear models, have different ones with different ratings and do a decent job of letting me hear conversation while still blocking the report of the rifle. Plus they are only about $15/pair

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg