Hearing Protection

Discussion in 'Hunting Equipment, Gear & Optics' started by Black Fly, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Black Fly

Black Fly AH Member

Hunted:
    Namibia
    I wear hearing aids. Mine do not have compression for loud noises. I don't hear much without them. I cannot hear normal woods noises without them, nor can I usually understand conversational speech from most people without them. So I now need hearing enhancement when I'm out hunting.
    Yes, i could get new real hearing aids that would include this, but my audiologist tells me I'm in the over $5000 per ear price range. I would not want to wear anything that expensive in the woods.
    Anyone with experience with Game Ear or similar ear buds?
    Thanks
    Bfly

PS. wear hearing protection, if you don't you will regret it.

Ridgewalker likes this.

2. ve7poi

ve7poi AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member SCI
    Hunted:
    British Columbia, Alberta, South Africa
    I use over the ear muffs [and hearing aids ] with the compression for loud noises.
    I’m in same boat as you are.
    Seems to do a good job for me.

3. meigsbucks

meigsbucks AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, NRA Life Member
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe and Namibia
    Electronic muffs are the way to go. The only issue I have with a lot of e-muffs, is the low NRR. A lot are 22-24 dB reduction. You need >29 dB.

4. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    I wear hearing aids, too, and don't hear much without them. Mine cost me about $ 5500.00US but they are the only ones that work for me. I wear Sport Ear electronics on the range and hunting. They don't interfere with my aids and still block loud noises while amplifying normal sounds. I was shooting the other day and forgot to take my aids out when I put my ears on. The muffs worked fine, blocking loud sounds and amplifying normal sounds even with my aids in. They are slim so they don't affect your cheek weld.

ve7poi likes this.

5. Black Fly

Black Fly AH Member

Hunted:
    Namibia
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
    I wear the electronic muffs at the range. That works great. I have behind the ear units that make wearing with muffs uncomfortable, so most of the time they are in a case in my pocket when the range is hot.
    I have not found the combination workable in the woods. Even with the little clips to hold them more firmly to my ears, if I lift the muffs off for a bit of air, they fall off. I quit wearing my hearing aids in the woods over a year ago when one flipped off my ear and I spent an extremely anxious half hour looking for it in the oak leaves. I can't afford to replace them, if I loose them.
    Just trying to find a less valuable thing to loose.
    Bfly

6. Newboomer

Newboomer GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, SCI, American Legion, Freemasons
    Hunted:
    RSA, Maine, Montana, Colorado, Texas, Alaska, California.
    Mine are behind the ear type and the Sport Ears don't bother. It's either the way they're made or I just don't notice them.

7. Dean Macdonald

Dean Macdonald AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England
    Hi Black Fly,
    I always wear electronic over ear muffs when on the range that block out the shot but amplify normal conversations. After my first safari in Namibia this year, I noticed a slight, constant ringing in the ears, and I can only assume it is from the unprotected shooting I did. Anyway, I am also fair skinned, so like to wear a wide brimmed hat for sun protection, so over ear muffs won't do. I found a set of in ear plugs that block out gunshots, but amplify the ambient sounds. They are called Otto Noizebarriers, available online for $349 US, shipped to your door. I have not hunted with them, but they work very well for me on the range so far. I cannot speak to how they would work for you with your hearing level now, but they may be an option for you.

8. Nyati

Nyati AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    RFEC, RFETO
    Hunted:
    Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
    I also wear hearing aids, the kind that go inside the ear channel. While hunting, I use electronic muffs. A silenced gun is also a good option.

On the range, which is louder, I take off the hearing aids, and put on ear plugs, plus muffs.

9. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I think this is an interesting conversation. I wear hearing protection at the range, but out hunting I do not because I can't hear the PH whisper, I can't hear a twig crack, I can't hear a lot of ambient sound, etc. Granted, my hearing is already not great (lost it in the sandbox, never time for hearing protection) but with ear protection I'm useless in the field. Does anyone here hunt with hearing protection? If so, what do you use?

10. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, DSC
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    At the range, I wear both ear plugs and muffs. While in the field hunting, I will put one ear plug in and leave the other out. The ear plugs have a lanyard and it's looped around my neck. For most shots, I usually have time to put the other plug in. I've been thinking about getting some of the electronic ear buds, so I am finding this thread very interesting and helpful.

11. AWLee

AWLee AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I’ve been using a custom molded in ear set from Tactacal Hearing for several years. I’ve been well satisfied with the hearing enhancement and the suppression.

https://www.tacticalhearing.com/

12. BeeMaa

BeeMaa AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCI
    Hunted:
    Eastern US & RSA
    I have three sets of custom molded ear plugs for a variety of activities.
    My job has me in loud spaces along with motorcycling and shooting.

The wife and I double up at the range with the custom plugs and muffs when we are not shooting.
    We take the muffs off to shoot because they interfere with a good cheek weld.

In the field we carry the plugs and put them in when needed.
    It only takes a few seconds and will save us both from tinnitus/hearing loss in the future.
    You can still hear someone whispering in your ear (like a PH) but the blast of the rifle won't leave you in pain.

13. Eventually_Africa_Again

Eventually_Africa_Again AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Wow, for $3k a pop I hope they work well!