Hearing Protection for Hunting

DriveByGuy

AH member
Reaction score
This might seem like a dumb question, but do any of y’all use hearing protection while hunting?

I’ve made the mistake of not using earplugs while duck and dove hunting with my 12gauge, and I couldn’t hear right for three days. Couple that with my permanent tinnitus, and I had a miserable time. Since I’m planning on a few trips in the next couple of years, at least one of which will be to Africa, I want to get some ear pro that will still let me hear my PH. Is there anything out there that’s not 800 bucks that works well enough to suppress gunshot sounds but will let me hear my PH when he’s whispering commands to me?

Is it frowned upon to wear ear pro while hunting in Africa? I don’t want to piss off the PH because I can’t hear him, especially if he’s trying to warn me of something of the couple-thousand-pounds variety.

Electronic noise canceling custom made earplugs.
Buy once, cry once...because you will get what you pay for.
And no price is too high to save your hearing while hunting.

Electronic noise canceling custom made earplugs.
Buy once, cry once...because you will get what you pay for.
And no price is too high to save your hearing while hunting.

Very true. You have a recommendation?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.58 PM.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 190
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.05 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 208
If I am hunting big game, (deer and above), I only fire one maybe two rounds. I never hear the shot nor feel the recoil. Always been that way and just shy of 68. Hunting anything where you are shooting alot, I may wear sponge earplugs.

If I'm hunting doves, quail, ducks, etc. or shooting clays and firing a lot of rounds I always wear foam earplugs. I've tried the noise cancelling electronic things, but they aren't all that great. At the rifle range I wear headphone-type ear protection. In Africa, I used the foam earplugs on a plastic ring that I could wear around my neck most of the time, but quickly put the earplugs in when I was getting ready to shoot. The PH just put his fingers in his ears when I got ready to shoot.
You should absolutely wear ear protection when firing shotguns, pistols, or rifles. In fact, it's required at most shooting ranges.
There is a good youtube video reviewing all the types of ear protection and foam earplugs cancel as much or more decibels of sound as any of the others.

I wrap the cord of a set of earplugs around the top button of my cap. I then tuck the earplugs in my cap or behind my ears. Never an issue to put them in before a shot. It makes a big difference in being able to hear hits too.

Yes I wear hearing protection whether I am shooting skeet or out hunting. During clay sports, I use "double protection" with a set of foam ear plugs and a set of Peltors electronic ear muffs. This is to protect my hearing from both BONE CONDUCTION and AIR CONDUCTION.

When I hunt I use a set of military combat earplugs. These have been tested extensively and found to be quite effective before these were issued to soldiers.

combat earplugs

For those people who do "not hear" rifle shots when they are hunting, hearing is damaged when we are exposed to noise >85 dB so whether we perceive it or not, recommend properly protecting hearing.

Regards,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.11 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 178
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.05.13 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 192

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.37 PM.png
    887.2 KB · Views: 182
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-16 at 12.06.39 PM.png
    881.6 KB · Views: 205
I have used two different types of electronic hearing protection. Both worked, but I have a preference.

The first thing I tried was Sportear Ghost Stryke universal fit. They are basically ear buds that used a size 10 hearing aid battery. The unit functions almost like a hearing aid. It takes all the sound around and amplifies anything below 85db, and then cuts out sound above that. My only real complaint with this style hearing protection is that the microphone sits out in the open and on windy days there can be wind noise that gets annoying. Best price I found on these was through MidwayUSA. Price is around $300.

The second set I have is by Sound Gear, and they are custom molded to fit me. This set uses size 13 hearing aid batteries. They work on the same principle as the universal fit, but are made for me. This style moved the microphone from the open space of the ear to the helix, so it is protected and I don’t experience the wind noise. Part of the reason I upgraded was to have hearing protection I would actually use while hunting. Price point for mine is $1,000. However, I purchased mine at Pheasant Fest and got a 30% discount.

Sound Gear also makes a more expensive unit that has more options, I think including Bluetooth.

Sound Gear also makes a universal fit digital plug. And I believe Sportear makes a custom molded.

An added benefit of using the digital protection is the sound amplification. So if you are with your PH and he’s whispering, you’ll actually be able to hear him better than without the plugs.

The bottom line, as I see it, is we can spend the money on hearing protection that works and we’ll wear every time, or we continue damaging our hearing. And at my age of 38, I already have to ask my wife to repeat too much, and have occasional tinnitus. I’d prefer to keep what I have. Over the summer, when Nathan Askew from Bullet Safaris was doing his Zoom Safaris, this question came up, and he talked about having hearing damage from too many safari rifles going off next to his head.

Is there anything out there that’s not 800 bucks that works well enough to suppress gunshot sounds but will let me hear my PH when he’s whispering commands to me?

Is it frowned upon to wear ear pro while hunting in Africa? I don’t want to piss off the PH because I can’t hear him, especially if he’s trying to warn me of something of the couple-thousand-pounds variety.

While I always wore earmuffs, then electronic earmuffs at the range, I made the mistake to use nothing for years while hunting, in retrospect, I think, largely because I did not have many opportunities hunting in scenarios when more than a few shots per day where fired, if at all. I never realized that my hearing suffered, and in truth I am not sure how much it suffered, if at all...

My awakening moment came with my first African Safari when instead of firing one shot, or maybe two, per week, or per month, or per year, at big game, I fired close to 40 shots in 10 days in the course of a 16 species PG package, plus a few varmints, plus a few culls. Firing a .340 Wby did not help either. Sadly, I damaged my hearing for the rest of my life, and I can "hear" tinnitus as I type these lines...

Over the ear electronic earmuffs are great, but they are too hot in Africa.

Earplugs on a cord (I tried the Surefire EP7 Sonic Defender Ultra Ear Plugs), or banded earplugs (I tried the Elvex GelCaps), work great but the fundamental issue is that you cannot hunt with them, listen to your PH, etc. This means that you need to have the time, and the presence of mind, to put them on before the shot. On my two following Safaris, I put them on ... most of the time, and lost a bit more hearing...

As BeeMaa said:
Electronic noise canceling ... earplugs.

Whether $700 or $1,300 or $3,500 or even $5,500 (Axil top of the line Extreme Blue) must be spent to get a quality set of electronic noise cancelling earplugs was the next question in my mind? Before taking the jump, I decided to try the $150 Walker's Silencer.

They are so effective that I shoot anything from .22 to .470 NE with them, and so comfortable that I have realized a few times back at home that I was still wearing them and had completely forgotten about them...

1602820096932.png

Yes, batteries only last ~80 hours, but I do not care; I carry in the Walker convenient little box a few blister packs of quality German batteries (Amazon).

1602821049300.png

Also, I replaced the Walker foam tips with longer, denser and more comfortable Comply professional foam tips that I can discard and replace when they get too oily - my ears produce a fair amount of wax (Amazon).

1602821146520.png

I highly recommend them.

Whether custom made $700, $1,000 or $3,500 sets are better, I do not know, but what I know is that on my last Safari I put the Walker on in the morning getting in the truck, and took them off, back at camp at night, and never thought about them anymore, except to notice that I can actually use them to hear game better than anyone else around because I can crank up the volume when something tiptoes in the bush...

I proactively change the batteries every 4 days (about 48 hours of use) so as to not run the risk of them weakening during the hunt. I guess I could try to run the batteries to 80 hours, but why run the risk, 2 batteries cost $0.50...

One note: I deliberately chose a set that has changeable batteries over rechargeable batteries, because tiny rechargeable batteries have a limited life...

And no, wearing electronic ear plugs is not frown upon by the PH :)

Last edited:
While I always wore earmuffs at the range, I made the mistake to use nothing for years while hunting, in retrospect, I think, largely because I did not have many opportunities hunting in scenarios when more than a few shots per day where fired, if at all. I never realized that my hearing suffered, and in truth I am not sure how much it suffered, if at all...

My awakening moment came with my first African Safari when instead of firing one shot, or maybe two, per year at big game, I fired close to 40 shots in 10 days in the course of a 16 species PG package, plus a few varmints, plus a few culls. Firing a .340 Wby did not help either. Sadly, I damaged my hearing for the rest of my life, and I can "hear" tinnitus as I type these lines...

Earplugs on a cord (I tried the Surefire EP7 Sonic Defender Ultra Ear Plugs), or banded earplugs (I tried the Elvex GelCaps), work great but the fundamental issue is that you cannot hunt with them, listen to your PH, etc. This means that you need to have the time, and the presence of mind, to put them on before the shot. On my two following Safaris, I put them on ... most of them time, and loss a bit more hearing...

As BeeMaa said:

Whether $700 or $13,00 or $3,500 must be spent to get a quality set of electronic noise cancelling ear plus was the next question in my mind. Before taking the jump, I decided to try the $150 Walker's Silencer.

These are so effective that I shoot anything from .22 to .470 NE with them, and so comfortable that I have realized a few times back at home that I was still wearing them and had completely forgotten about them...

View attachment 372090

Yes, batteries only last 80 hours, but I do not care; I carry in their box a couple blister packs of quality German batteries (Amazon)
View attachment 372092

And I replaced their foam tips with longer, denser and more comfortable Comply professional foam tips that I can discard and replace when they get too oily (my ears produce a fair amount of wax).

View attachment 372093

I highly recommend them.

Whether custom made $700 or $1,000 sets are better, I do not know, but what I know is that on my last Safari I put them on in the morning getting in the truck, and took them off, back at camp at night, and never thought about them anymore, except to notice that I can actually use them to hear game better than anyone else around because I can crank up the volume if need be when something tiptoes in the bush... I proactively change the batteries every 4 days (about 48 hours of use) so as to not run the risk of them weakening during the hunt.

One note: I deliberately chose a set that has changeable batteries over rechargeable batteries, because tiny rechargeable batteries have a limited life...

I’ve been looking at those specific ear plugs. With your review, I think I will go with those.

Thanks!

Been using to moldable Decibulls and so far very happy with them. Custom fit, can hear clearly when not shooting, and cuts the loud noise out when shooting. No electronics to screw with

Been using to moldable Decibulls and so far very happy with them. Custom fit, can hear clearly when not shooting, and cuts the loud noise out when shooting. No electronics to screw with

Theyre also very affordable.. I picked up a set at Academy for $25 a few weeks ago to try out.. I've molded them, and worn them around the house a bit to test for comfort.. but havent taken them to the range or on a hunt yet..

Pretty cool product though....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.16.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.16.33 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 186
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.16.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-17 at 9.16.36 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 179
This might seem like a dumb question, but do any of y’all use hearing protection while hunting?

I’ve made the mistake of not using earplugs while duck and dove hunting with my 12gauge, and I couldn’t hear right for three days. Couple that with my permanent tinnitus, and I had a miserable time. Since I’m planning on a few trips in the next couple of years, at least one of which will be to Africa, I want to get some ear pro that will still let me hear my PH. Is there anything out there that’s not 800 bucks that works well enough to suppress gunshot sounds but will let me hear my PH when he’s whispering commands to me?

I use peltor tep 200 they come in a case the size of a pack of cards and recharge off AA batteries

Plugs are nice, but they are not protecting you from bone noise conduction, and I already suffer from hearing loss, so I use Howard Leigh Impact Sports electronic muffs.

If it´s warm, you can keep them in a vest pocket and put them on before you start your stalk.

I carry a pair of Silencio gel ear plugs in my pocket. They form fit themselves when; inserted. It's just a matter of my quarry allowing me enough time to put them in ....
opplanet-silencio-soft-silicone-rubber-hypoallergenic-ear-plugs-w-case-29906-2.jpg

I agree with Nyati. My experience after a shooting session with just earplugs, I would feel off balance and almost punch drunk for hours. I read about the bones transmitting the vibrations to the inner ear. Some people seem to be more susceptible to it than others. After switching to noise canceling earmuffs, I no longer feel those effects of the concussive blasts.
I have used the noise cancelling earplugs by themselves for hunting or when just a few shots will be taken.

While I always wore earmuffs, then electronic earmuffs at the range, I made the mistake to use nothing for years while hunting, in retrospect, I think, largely because I did not have many opportunities hunting in scenarios when more than a few shots per day where fired, if at all. I never realized that my hearing suffered, and in truth I am not sure how much it suffered, if at all...

My awakening moment came with my first African Safari when instead of firing one shot, or maybe two, per week, or per month, or per year, at big game, I fired close to 40 shots in 10 days in the course of a 16 species PG package, plus a few varmints, plus a few culls. Firing a .340 Wby did not help either. Sadly, I damaged my hearing for the rest of my life, and I can "hear" tinnitus as I type these lines...

Earplugs on a cord (I tried the Surefire EP7 Sonic Defender Ultra Ear Plugs), or banded earplugs (I tried the Elvex GelCaps), work great but the fundamental issue is that you cannot hunt with them, listen to your PH, etc. This means that you need to have the time, and the presence of mind, to put them on before the shot. On my two following Safaris, I put them on ... most of the time, and lost a bit more hearing...

As BeeMaa said:

Whether $700 or $1,300 or $3,500 or even $5,500 (Axil top of the line Extreme Blue) must be spent to get a quality set of electronic noise cancelling earplugs was the next question in my mind? Before taking the jump, I decided to try the $150 Walker's Silencer.

They are so effective that I shoot anything from .22 to .470 NE with them, and so comfortable that I have realized a few times back at home that I was still wearing them and had completely forgotten about them...

View attachment 372090

Yes, batteries only last ~80 hours, but I do not care; I carry in the Walker convenient little box a few blister packs of quality German batteries (Amazon).

View attachment 372092

Also, I replaced the Walker foam tips with longer, denser and more comfortable Comply professional foam tips that I can discard and replace when they get too oily - my ears produce a fair amount of wax (Amazon).

View attachment 372093

I highly recommend them.

Whether custom made $700, $1,000 or $3,500 sets are better, I do not know, but what I know is that on my last Safari I put the Walker on in the morning getting in the truck, and took them off, back at camp at night, and never thought about them anymore, except to notice that I can actually use them to hear game better than anyone else around because I can crank up the volume when something tiptoes in the bush...

I proactively change the batteries every 4 days (about 48 hours of use) so as to not run the risk of them weakening during the hunt. I guess I could try to run the batteries to 80 hours, but why run the risk, 2 batteries cost $0.50...

So I was about to start a thread on combined protection/amplification. I envision using these for both hunting/shooting, but also wanted a pair for riding on my Harley. Are these secure in the ear? I have a pair of Apple AirPods, they're great, but I wouldn't dare use them riding a motorcycle. They're not the most secure and occasionally fall out of my ear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you