Headed to Tajikistan Dec 18 Any last minute tips?

Discussion in 'Hunting Asia & Middle East' started by hoguer, Nov 17, 2018.

1. hoguer

hoguer AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I am 2 weeks out from a Mid Asian Ibex hunt in Tajikistan with Neal and Brownlee, LLC and while im very happy with the pre trip information and gear list Mr. Brownlee has provided, I wanted to reach out to hear from some of the members who may have enjoyed a similar hunt and any little nuggets you can share about your trip and what you may have wished you had taken with you in retrospect?

Philip Glass likes this.

2. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Can’t off any advice, just wanted to wish you luck and can’t wait to see your pictures.

cem rona ergin and hoguer like this.

3. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Hunted Kyrgyzstan for MidAsian Ibex. I am going to assume you will be in a cabin of some sort and not a tent in December! It will be high altitude and cold though regardless. Your outfitter should have a packing list so that’s for starters. What altitude will you hunt at? Diamox kept me from getting sick hunting up to 13000’. Be in shape because the high altitude kicked my butt being from TX.
    Best of luck and look forward to the report.
    Regards,
    Philip

hoguer and Red Leg like this.

4. hoguer

hoguer AH Member

Video/Photo:
    @Philip Glass we will be staying in Yurts or hested trailers depending on the hunting ground that they settle on. Yes, our outfitter supplied a detailed packing list as stated in the original post, I was interested to hear if anyone had annything special they didnt plan on needing that they were glad they packed or wished they had packed.
    I already have my Diamox and antibiotics for just in case, and I am fairly physically fit, but I am sure I am not going to be running up any mountains while we are there being that I live and exercise at about 500' but that is just a reality I have to accept.

5. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Be sure that you have good boots that are broken in. Top quality socks, preferably a poly liner sock and then another heavier outer sock. If your taking a sleeping bag make sure its rated way higher than what you think you need. A great hat will help keep you warm. Good gloves are another must have.
    I've been to Kyrg 2 times. For a hot drink they have strong green tea. If you want something different then take it with you as well as a good thermos. Make sure you have a good range finder that you know how to use. If possible be familiar with shooting your rifle to 500 plus yards. The air is much thinner at 12,000 feet so your bullet drops more slowly. Some ballistic rangefinders have software to figure drops for you. Do not trust them until you have verified the solutions.
    Take a small kit with you for rifle/scope repair. When you arrive check your 100 yd zero and then try to check at 5-600 yards. Take a good small lens cleaning kit. Use it on binos, scopes and spotting scopes daily. Can't shoot what you can't see. Have the best glass that you can afford. Take 2 pairs of binos. You guide may ask to borrow yours. Happened to me.
    If you get your animals be sure and bring him back with you. DO NOT leave without him or your expenses go way up and the chances of getting him home drop substancially. I'm sure I'll think of more but thats a few off the top of my head.
    Bruce

Philip Glass likes this.

6. Philip Glass

Philip Glass LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Ditto Bruce @gillettehunter on the good glass on these trips. I’d get the swaro or Leica binos with rangefinder in them. I have the swaros but am tempted to get the Leicas as well. On these Asian mountain hunts you should bring a top quality spotting scope as well. On my ibex hunt the swaro spotting scope was used often and helped make the decision which mountain to climb! My Sitka backpack has a special place for the spotting scope and that was helpful. Bruce also mentioned an extra pair of binos for your guide and this is a great idea. My guide had old binos like my dad had back in the early ‘80’s!
    Have fun,
    Philip

7. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol, Original PA 1000 yd. BR clubs
    Hunted:
    U.S (PA, DE, NJ, KS, TX., ME, Panama, South Africa
    Do you guys subscribe to Global Rescue and take a Sat phone?

8. gillettehunter

gillettehunter AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Kyrgyzstan(2) South Africa(2) New Zealand
    Now I sure would. Not a place to travel to and skimp on insurance..
    Bruce

9. hoguer

hoguer AH Member

Video/Photo:
    We have our binocs and 2 new sets of binoculars for the guides, nothing crazy for them just some $200 bushnells that we plan on leaving with them as gifts. I have a quality spotting scope and LRF. We have global rescue and i purchased a sat phone and plenty of data. 0deg sleeping bag and lots of socks. The drink suggestion is great, ill pack some instant coffee. Fortunately all of the other mentioned items so far were on our packing list. We will be buying luggage in Dushanbe and packing our trophies on the plane ride home with us.

Hogpatrol likes this.

10. 375 Ruger Fan

375 Ruger Fan AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, Canada (Yukon)
    Will your schedule allow you to have a day or two to get acclimated to the altitude? When I go elk hunting, where we hunt 5,000 to 9500 ft, I have found that it really helps to spend a day in Bozeman, especially since I am coming from sea level. Since you'll be hunting at seriously high altitude, acclimatizing would seem to be almost a requirement.

11. hoguer

hoguer AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Yes the first day will be spent at base camp acclimating and i will be taking Diamox as well