Headed to South Africa in August- Animals on my radar

Do you mean No permits right now as there are lots of Aardwolf in Limpopo & Bar Eared Fox, I see them some times in the early morning ?

A big Aardwolf is a cool animal !
I did not know these two were in Limpopo. I know people go south in South Africa to hunt them so I assumed they could not be hunted in Limpopo. Maybe there are no permits in Limpopo. I am going to check. They are not list in the price list. I will check.

Headed to hunt with Limpopo Big Game Safaris. I have narrowed my list to:

Night Hunting
Civet, Honey badger, Genet, Caracal, Serval, Jackal (probable should add spotted hyena but did not tell the guide to add, wondering how likely to see)

Day Time
Warthog, Duiker, Klipspringer, Lechwe (had Roan on the list but delegated due to space constraints in trophy room).

Sounds like fun to me but only in camp a week. I have other tinys and most other major South African trophies. I would not pass up a giant Kudu (60+) and they are there. I passed on a 58" on my last hunt. Anything I am missing. Lots of permits.

I will be very happy with 3 night critters and 2 day critters. Bossie doesn't sleep anyway so we are good to go!

Should I add the Roan or hyena, my budget is stretched? I am settled on the animals listed. My advice has always been shoot what Africa gives you but this night hunting is different.

My wife doesn't care she just wants to spend a week at Leopard Hills in Sabi Sands.

Hyena, Leopard, Elephant, Lion, Giraffe:

Those are the animals that the antis are pushing hardest to ban at this time. If you ever want to hunt a hyena, do it this trip.

I did not know these two were in Limpopo. I know people go south in South Africa to hunt them so I assumed they could not be hunted in Limpopo. Maybe there are no permits in Limpopo. I am going to check. They are not list in the price list. I will check.

Yes permits are a problem some times & it changes with out notice, not sure on the Bat Ear as we don't shoot any, & we don't get a lot asking for the Wolf either.

As I said a LOT more Brown Hyena in Limpopo than Spotted, they are rare in most places with a few small pockets & some coming in from Botos .

My roan ranks as one of most impressive trophies I’ve ever took. I’d go for roan because Limpopo will have good selection and pricing. A hyena in Zimbabwe is $500-$700. A hyena in Limpopo is several times that, not a cost effective place to hunt one. I took three on my last trip to Zimbabwe.

Brown cannot be exported/imported, correct?
Actually for the rest of the world it got easier then the old days on the Brown Hyena, not a CITES listed animal any more & not problem to export if you have the take permits, which in last few years has doubled in cost, truly a awesome animal to but I think may not be importable into the US unfortunately ?
True Spotted are expensive in South Africa & if going to another country at a later date might be more cost effective ?

The Roan is a great trophy to have, since Pandemic & the great demand after, a bit harder to find & prices have lifted again on them, but your man will find them I’m sure !

+1 on roan and aardwolf.

I’m not sure about tag requirements, but if you spot a porcupine or a springhare that could be a fun target of opportunity. I would also ask about bat-eared fox, they are pretty cool looking. I saw 3-4 last year in the North West.

porcupine and springhare dont require permits, bat ear fox u cannot hunt in limpopo, or most places,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois