SOUTH AFRICA: Headed to South Africa for a hunt in the Free State and East Cape

Fourth Day Hunting

We started the day out a little slower. We didn't head for breakfast until 8am. The first 3 days we had walked over 21 miles total up and down rocky terrain. Not the same as a treadmill in the gym. An extra hour of sleep really helped. Once we convened over another great meal the PH wanted to know what the plan was. We decided today we would try for a nice Blesbok for my wife. It was one of the 5 on the original list. So it was off to the open plains part of the ranch to glass for a big Blesbok. After about 30 minutes of glassing we located really nice male. If we could get a shot this one was going to dwarf the one I had taken in the Limpopo 8 years ago. Some careful low (bent over) slow walking into the wind we were able to get to 550 yards. We all laid in the prone position lined up, the PH on the binos, me on the range finder, and my wife on the rifle. It took a while for him the clear all the other Blesbok males and females, as they zigged and zagged around feeding and looking about. In the course of this they luckily came a little closer. As the one we were interested in moved out away from the others I got my first range, 490 yards, 5.8 MOA (6 MOA on the rifle) the wind was 4mph but more or less straight to us, so no wind call. Still walking, second range 495 yards, same correction. The PH whistles, he stops broadside, third range, 496, same correction. I whisper, there's your shot. A second or so later, the trigger breaks and the 156gr Berger does its job efficiently as the Blesbok drops as it is said here DRT, dead right there. As we get the Blesbok we all realize he is a really nice one. He will dwarf the one from the Limpopo. He roughly measured over 17 inches.

00062_Moment(5).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 4, the afternoon

After the discussion over the Blesbok and the obligatory photos we headed in to drop him off with the skinners. The butcher was at the skinning barn picking up some of the game that had collected in the freezer so Mias let us stay there and observe the process of weighing and loading the game. By the time they finished it was well past noon so we headed in for a light lunch. At lunch we discussed they trophies we had hunted and what would be the next quarry. It was decided, Hartmann Zebra. These Zebra were on a very different part of the ranch from the Blesbok and their cousins the Burchell's Zebra. We drove back deep into the ranch towards our cabins, then past them and up into the hills and canyons. After a few lefts and rights on decent roads we took a very rutted 2 track up out of the canyon we were in. Jeep drivers would have loved it. Once we got up to the top of the ridge we were going up our PH pulled over and parked. We bailed out, me with the rifle, the PH with the shooting stix, and my wife with the camera and tripod. We first walked slowly through the trees on the right side of the truck and quickly could see into the next drainage. There was a herd of Blue Wildebeest on the opposite side and they quickly spotted us. They stood for a moment then took off up the drainage at slow jog walk. We stepped out a little further and glassed up the drainage to see no other critters around. We decided the circle back past the truck and head more up hill towards the crest of the main ridge. This would keep us in the trees and the wind in our faces. After about 20 minutes of slow careful walking we reached the top of the ridge. About 250 yards in front of us was a small herd of Zebra. Luckily the the Wildebeest had not turned left and pushed them off farther. The trees at this point were getting spotty, like a juniper ridge in the US, there was 10-20 yards between them. We had to slow down and carefully moved from tree to tree to keep all the eyes of the herd off of us. The Zebra were feeding along at an angle away going to our left, so as they moved and we moved we stayed about the same distance from each other. We finally got to a spot where the PH could carefully look them over. We were trying for a dry female. There were some pregnant females we had to avoid and we were not going to take the stallion because of the pregnant females. After a few minutes of dodging their eyes and looking at the herd the mare we were looking for appeared. At first she was head on to us then rump on. I ranged her, 235 yards, no correction, no wind. I was on the sticks and locked on to her when she moved left and came clear quartering slightly head to us facing left. I settled the crosshair on the point of her shoulder lining up between the opposite leg and on side leg. Safety off, one breath and squeeze. I expected her to run out of my field of view at the shot. Very much to my surprise she dropped DRT in the scope. I have to say this was the biggest surprise of the entire trip. I never expected a Zebra to drop like that.

00068_Moment(4).jpg

Hunting Day 5

Something I haven't mentioned is everyday early we have been headed over to stalk Mountain Reedbuck and in the evening we were going to another place to stalk Nyala. On this day we were on our 5th Mountain Reedbuck stalk. We started a slow careful walk along the top edge of a Koppie where they have been seen hanging out. In 5 minutes boom there was small group. The closest one was about 60 yards so that combined with the nervousness of this little antelope left us standing there empty handed. We went up on top of the hill and tried to glass them back up in the location they escaped to. We got a few more glimpses of that group and that was about it. We decided to take the truck and drive the base of the hills slowly and glass. We came to a spot where the hill had a spot that looked like a large cul-de-sac. On the left side of the cul-de-sac at the top of the ridge was a small group of Kudu, then as we scanned right boom, in the middle was another small group of Mountain Reedbuck. A quick glassing showed they were all females and fawns. We turned back to the Kudu and noticed another group and there was a buck in there with them. At that moment the group of Kudu quick walked to the right and up and over the top edge of the hill disappearing. We thought the reedbuck group went with them so we headed back to a point where we could go up on the ridge. As we drove along we were watching the edges of the hill. In a short distance we picked up the group with the buck. They had not followed the Kudu. At this point they were 300ish yards away and didn't seem very nervous. We kept driving until they were just out of sight. We bailed out and snuck back along the base of the hill until we picked them back up. We found an open spot to take a prone shot from. My wife got setup, I got the range 250yards, and the camcorder ready. In about 50 seconds the shot rang out and they were running. It turned out there were 3 females and 1 male. I lost him in the camera as her ran out of the frame before I could zoom out. The PH had his eye on him the whole time.

Then the funny part happened. The PH told my wife, you missed, you hit the rock behind him. He proceeded to take her up the hill telling her he's right there pointing her rifle down down down at the ground. She finally saw the buck laying on the hillside expired. He had fooled her for a few moments. The buck turned out to be a great trophy and a funny experience.

Mountain_Reedbuck_Trick00009_Moment(3).jpg
Mountain_Reedbuck_Trick00009_Moment.jpg
IMG-20210826-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20210826-WA0002.jpg

We had a common Blesbok to go with my common from 8 years ago so we decided to hunt a White one as well. The white ones are easy to identify. We looked over a few and found a the best one. This would be a longer shot. We walked in to about 500 yards and set up prone. It just took a few moments for the big white male to clear all of his common cousins. The last range was 498 yards. He was slightly quartering away head right, camcorder was rolling. Safety of breath, breath, squeeze. The trigger broke and the Blesbok dropped, but surprise he's back up. He spun around a few times and dropped for good. Now I had a White Blesbok to go with the 2 commons.
IMG-20210826-WA0010.jpg
PXL_20210826_070600063.jpg

Most of the rest of the day was spent riding around the ranch looking at the various breeding projects and we got to see their herd of Bontebok. We saw several Waterbuck that will become breeders soon. Absolute monsters. The sun was going down and It was nearing Nyala time. We started to head back to the area of the ranch where the Nyala seemed to like the best. We had not directly tried to hunt Warthog but my wife had it on her list. As we were cruising a 2-track pretty fast the truck lurched to a stop. The PH hissed Warthog. Off to our left was a big Warthog out in the middle of a field all alone feeding. We all quietly slipped out of the truck leaving the doors open. In a few steps, my wife stepped out in front of a tree on the edge of the field and put the rifle up on the sticks. In a few seconds a shot rang out and the big Warthog was DRT. When we got up to him he was a super old one, worn down tusks and super hairy. Apparently, the ground in the Free State is very hard and therefore very hard on the hog's tusks.

We did head over and stalk some Nyala. We got a shot opportunity right at dark after a long walk through the trees. I had the scope on 2 Nyala in a small opening between 2 trees at about 150 yards, I asked the PH to double check that he was the left one and as he answered me "yes" he disappeared into the shadows, time for dinner.

Nyala 4, hunters 0.

PXL_20210826_140307555.MP.jpg

Finally through all the hurdles airlines stopping and starting, Rifle permits, bed and breakfast logistics, Covid tests, final packing, getting the rifles checked in etc. and now about to go wheels up out of Newark on a straight flight to Johannesburg. More to come as we progress in the field.
Let the adventure begin!

The new 787s are very smooth. Going over the flight was about 2/3 full so we all had lots of room. For a 16 hour flight it was pretty good. Coming back it was full. Still very smooth. They ran out of the mid flight snack so our side of the plane didn't get it. Oh well. I ate too much in camp anyway. The biggest issues coming back were security. They tore our stuff apart twice in Johannesburg. One in the security line once at the gate. Make sure you are on top of you Covid tests. You need hard copies with names and dates. Don't take any tools no matter how small through in checked bags. Don't carry on any duty free liquor. Check it. They took my fix it Stix mini tool kit and 2 tiny Allen wrenches in Johannesburg. Also some how 2 of our bags had empty rifle cases in them and that caused a big stir. They even took my empty leather cartridge belt. Frankly the less you carry the better off you'll be. The rifles and ammo were no big deal. I had paper work done 3 months ago.

Confirm for me that they took tools out of your checked bags? This makes no sense and is not a rule. They stole your leather belt? I always have scope tools etc so I am wanting to know exactly where did this happen and how do you know? Were you there when they took your stuff?
I had a friend flying WDH-JNB on Airlink this year who had his AA batteries confiscated from his carry on. They said you were only allowed 5 batteries. This is BS and random stuff happens with airlines.
Philip

Confirm for me that they took tools out of your checked bags? This makes no sense and is not a rule. They stole your leather belt? I always have scope tools etc so I am wanting to know exactly where did this happen and how do you know? Were you there when they took your stuff?
I had a friend flying WDH-JNB on Airlink this year who had his AA batteries confiscated from his carry on. They said you were only allowed 5 batteries. This is BS and random stuff happens with airlines.
Philip
No, not from the checked bags, from the carry on. I had carried that little pack in my carrying going over but I guess I should have put it in my checked.

They did inspected and rifle through our carry-ons twice. Once at the main xray security point then again at the aircraft. I guess this is a standard thing because it happened to us 8 years ago as well.

No, not from the checked bags, from the carry on. I had carried that little pack in my carrying going over but I guess I should have put it in my checked.

They did inspected and rifle through our carry-ons twice. Once at the main xray security point then again at the aircraft. I guess this is a standard thing because it happened to us 8 years ago as well.
It’s always something!

Congratulations! Please tell your wife she did an amazing job! Not many people can pull off the shots she did.

You did some excellent shooting too!

Thanks for taking the time to write your report and sharing it with us.

Congratulations all around. Well done.

Congratulations! Please tell your wife she did an amazing job! Not many people can pull off the shots she did.

You did some excellent shooting too!

Thanks for taking the time to write your report and sharing it with us.
Thanks, stay tuned I have day 6 and 7 coming.

Hunting Day 6 - the Black Impala

This would be my big day. It started out with a drive over to a place where a huge Waterbuck was hanging out. This area was very open and the wind was not cooperating as it was blowing about 10 mph. We decided to pass on trying to shoot in a bunch of wind and headed for some trees that supposedly held some Black Impala. The trees were doing a good job breaking the wind plus the shots were not going to be long. We parked the truck and piled out. The PH with the shooting sticks, me with the rifle, and my wife with the tripod mounted camcorder. The grass in the area was about a foot to foot and a half high and thick, so walking slow and careful. After about 10 minutes of stalking into the wind we bumped an Impala. It didn't stick around for us to get a good look before it bolted to our right through the trees, but we had some luck. Apparently, it circled out and back to our left as we would soon find out. After stalking slowly for another 10 minutes we saw movement about 100 yards ahead. Stop, kneel binos up. There was the same ram we had initially bumped. We waited until he was looking away and stood up to get on the sticks. For me what happened next heart breaker and totally my fault. I got io the sticks and waited for him to turn broad side. I aimed and shot too quickly. I was rocking forward just a hair and aiming for the heart. The shot broke and he dropped, then popped up tried to run. He fell after a few steps. We moved forward about 50 yards he popped up and I took a quick off hand shot that broke him down. We got up to him and I gave him a quick finishing shot. Unfortunately the first shot him directly in line with the heart but broke both from legs going low through the brisket. I felt very bad that and should not have rushed that first shot, one more breath and it would have been a one-shot kill. This would pay off later on the coming shots. I think the Black Impala has the most beautiful hide of all the trophies we were lucky to have a chance to hunt.

IMG-20210828-WA0010.jpg

Hunting Day 6 - finishing the 3/4 slam

My wife started her springbok slam on the first day of hunting with a 235-yard standing off the sticks shot. On this windy day she decided to hand the reins to me. After all the grip and grins were taken with the Black Impala, we loaded him up and headed for another open range area where we could spot some color phase springboks.

This was going to be a Wyoming Antelope rubber stalking style hunt. Once we spotted a herd of Springboks that had Blacks, Whites, commons and coppers mixed together we drove around to minimize the wind and position for a shot. Once we were in a spot where we could get the wind in our faces we jumped out of the truck and moved enough to clear the truck and get a clear shot. There was a white springbok bringing up the rear of the group so he was in good position to take a shot. We got the range, 400ish yards, made the elevation change. I settled the crosshairs on his shoulder and just I broke the trigger he jumped springbok style and my shot hit behind him and the stampede was on.

So now we had to get back in the truck and wait. We watched them for about 20 minutes run off and make a big circle back along a line of trees about a mile away. Once they settled, we headed out to shortened the distance. At about 600 yards we stopped behind a little rise and jumped out to ease up to the top and take a shot. That cut the distance to about 350 yards. This time the target was a copper ram near the back of the herd but in the clear. This time with the wind in our face the ram stood still long enough for the 6.5 PRC to find his shoulder. He dropped at the shot and I mean DRT.

The group, not knowing where the shot came from, ran to our right about 100 yards and a white ram came clear. I swiveled the sticks to the right and lined up on him, more or less the same distance. The shot set up was faster than I like to employ but I was rock steady and at the shot he was DRT. On that shot the group hauled out of sight.

After about 10 minutes of rubber stalking, we relocated them again. I set up prone next to the truck as the shot was going to be more in the 500-600 yard distance. After laying there for a few minutes with no black ram coming in the clear the group decided to take off running again. They headed through some small groups of trees into another open area about a half mile away. This time the there was a dirt pond ringed with trees between us. We were able to bail out and sneak up to the trees. The group was walk to the left about 150 yards on the other side of the dirt pond. There was a black ram lagging in the back so I lined up on him. The grass was covering about 3/4 of the ram's side. I aimed right at the top of the grass and broke the trigger. The ram lurched forward unscathed as the grass swallowed the bullet.

Now back to the truck and more rubber stalking. We relocated the group in a few minutes approaching them in the truck to about 400 yards. Before I could get on the sticks the group split, some going to our left some going to our right. The group that went right had a couple of black rams in it so we stayed on them. We drove across the grass to a road they had already crossed. As we got to the road 2 of the black rams started running full speed parallel to the road out about 100 yards. We started driving following them but they were tricky they stopped and cut back across the road behind us but made a fatal mistake. They ran about 200 yards once they crossed the road and stopped. we were able to swing off the road to our right get the sticks set up. A quick range showed 230 yards, no correction, on the sticks, on the back ram, crosshairs steady, breath, safety off, breath, breath, hold low on the shoulder, break the trigger. Again, another Berger flop, DRT, the 3/4 slam was over in 5 shots. By the time we got the 3 little guys posed and photographed we realized it was about 2:30 pm so we headed to the skinning barn then in to grab a late lunch.

IMG-20210828-WA0001.jpg

Day 6 - Nyala 4 Hunters 1

By the time we at lunch and rested it was getting close to time to go stalk Nyala again. Four previous stalks turned to dust so far earlier in the week for various reasons. Today we parked in a new spot to start our stalk We took off PH with the shooting sticks, me with the rifle, and my wife with the camcorder on the tripod. We slowly weaved our way through the trees and the knee-deep grass. Carefully glassing ahead looking for a gray black bull.

We had been going back and forth all week getting glimpses of 2 particular bulls. One heavy one and one typical but very symmetrical one. After about 10 minutes of easing along we spotted a group of Nyala. Stop, kneel don't make a sound, binos up. They are a group of 4 young bulls and a few females. Easy back up and move a little to look around them. No mature bulls. Keep easing along pretty soon there are a group of common Impala. Keep going, slow and quiet. Finally, after about another half mile another group of Nyala show themselves about 200 yards through the Sweet Acacia. Freeze, binos up. There is a mature bull.

The PH moves slowly to the next tree giving us the freeze low back hand. So now the tension builds. As the PH glasses the area another Impala female comes out in between us and the Nyala and spots us. She gives us the stared down for about 20 minutes. We stay frozen for the 20 minutes until she moves on then the PH waves us up to the next tree. It's impossible to translate the tension level this moment held; it was fantastically priceless. The PH explains in a whisper voice only the symmetrical bull is there with this group what do I want to do? I say let's go for it, second to last day. We slowly set up the sticks and I slow put the rifle up. The PH takes the camcorder as with the trees and brush my wife cannot see the Nyala. The PH does a range check, he's 220 yards, no correction, no wind.

Breath, aim, breath, he's feeding and relaxed, breath, safety off, breath, hold on his heart, squeeze ...
the trigger breaks, he humps up and runs right. We watch him through the trees go about 30 yards and pile up. Hunters 1, Nyala 4. But we just needed 1.

Finally, after waiting 8 years to go back for an Nyala, I have an absolute beauty in my hands and an incredible stalk to remember. The atmosphere cooperated that evening and provided one incredible sun set to shoot pictures in front of.

eyesopenIMG-20210828-WA0008.jpg

PXL_20210827_153656189.NIGHT.jpg

Last Day - Day 7 to shop or hunt

My stepmother and father were finished with their hunt, so they were coming with us on this final 7th day of hunting. At breakfast there was a brief discussion on what the plan was. Someone said we could call it finished and head to Bloemfontein for shopping. That was quickly shot down by my wife who still had her eye on one Mias's huge Waterbucks. Frankly he had a ton of great 30+ Waterbucks. So, hunting it was. Out to the Ranger Raptor for a drive. Mias and Myself in the front and the three others shoulder to shoulder in the back. We drove an area of the Farm that holds some whooper Waterbucks. It didn't take long to spot a giant and a small one on the side of a hill in the trees. We rounded the corner jumped out and headed up the opposite side, Mias in the lead with the sticks, my wife second with the rifle, me bringing up the rear with the tripod and camcorder. The wind from Friday was hanging on even though it was 7am. We eased through the trees trying to spot that big Waterbuck we had spotted. After about 30 minutes we had made a big circle on the flat-topped hill we were stalking him on. We were checking the flats out on all sides when we spotted another monster. We were in a good position, high and he was low. The sticks and camcorder go set up on a steep rocky hillside. The giant was found in the scope, ranged 210 yards, wind was minimal because he was hanging on the downwind side of the hill. I was watching through the camcorder screen when crack. The big bull took off left to right went about 20 yards and fell, rolled gained his feet and went about another 20 yards before dropping for good. When we got up to the bull, I was a little shocked how big he was body wise. His horns seemed pretty thick to me, and it turned out that he measured out at 32 inches. My wife had another great trophy and great memory of her hardest shot as the last event of a great hunting trip. Hopefully we will return in 2023 to visit the Karoo and the East Cape.

IMG-20210828-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20210828-WA0018.jpg

Congrats, great shooting . Many excellent animals taken.

Congrats, great shooting . Many excellent animals taken.
Thanks, it was my wife's first hunting trip of her life and now she's hooked. She's ready to try the East Cape next.

Thanks, it was my wife's first hunting trip of her life and now she's hooked. She's ready to try the East Cape next.
It’s great to have a supportive wife and partner! The East Cape is excellent to hunt, very affordable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross