Headed out Tuesday

mossman500

Reaction score
I start my first trip over to SA on Tuesday, Will be hunting with SB Hunting. I'm thankful to have found this site and have read much needed info from y'all. Going on this hunt alone because all my friends are too cheap, so who needs them anyway. Flying Delta and hunting 10 days, packing light and using PH's gun. Any advice on getting the mounts done around the Houston Texas area? Do I need to contact an import company now or later? Gonna try and stick to my list....Buffalo, Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and warthog(maybe). Thanks for any advise.

My first trip is still a few months away, so I'm not sure I can offer any words of wisdom, but I do wish you great luck and safe travels. I can relate to having to go on most of my hunts alone because friends just not willing to prioritize an out of state/country trip (even though they profess interest). Maybe your exploits will convince them to pony up next time. Either way I am sure you will have a great time. Can't wait to read your trip report!

I am going on my first safari this year as well - my input is only from research so take it with a grain of salt as none of this is first hand experience.

I'm also going to be shipping to Houston so I contacted Coppersmith as they have a reputation for getting things into their own storage quickly. I have read about crates sitting on docks in airports charging $150/day waiting for clearance. Their quote was $600-800 for air freight but given that's only 4 days of airline storage if another company is slower to respond any savings would be lost. I will say even Coppersmith caveated that the quote doesn't include potential airline storage.

Will definitely be interested to see who you use for mounts around Houston as well as how your import and process goes as you will be going a month ahead of me!

Best of luck, look forward to the report.

I start my first trip over to SA on Tuesday, Will be hunting with SB Hunting. I'm thankful to have found this site and have read much needed info from y'all. Going on this hunt alone because all my friends are too cheap, so who needs them anyway. Flying Delta and hunting 10 days, packing light and using PH's gun. Any advice on getting the mounts done around the Houston Texas area? Do I need to contact an import company now or later? Gonna try and stick to my list....Buffalo, Sable, Kudu, Gemsbok, Zebra and warthog(maybe). Thanks for any advise.
First trip to Africa is special! Enjoy it to the fullest and take lots of photos.

Regarding Houston area taxidermist, I've used David Major (https://www.majorcreationstaxidermy.com/ ) in Cypress (NW Houston area.) for several animals with great results and usually 6-8 months turnaround. It would have been good to contact a preferred taxidermist earlier and get some laminated tags with your name, address, phone, email, etc and then also either the taxi or tannery shipping info. For Houston area, I would suggest using Coopersmith to handle the shipping and import.

1685361744330.png

Have a great time! +1 on Coppersmith for a US agent.

I am glad you are going and not waiting for the "fence sitters"! You don't need to worry about imports until later. Coppersmith has staff in Houston so I'd recommend them.
have fun!

I should add that I tried to get friends to go for years before finally giving up and going by myself. My first Safari was a buffalo hunt in the upper Luangwa Valley, Zambia. There have been many since, but I should not have waited so long to go!

Have fun and good hunting! I have used Conroe Taxidermy, just north of Houston, for all five of my safaris. They do excellent work and help with arranging shipping.

Go get’em! Have fun enjoy the time. I have had great success with Woods and Water Taxidermy, Conroe, Texas.

I am glad you are going and not waiting for the "fence sitters"! You don't need to worry about imports until later. Coppersmith has staff in Houston so I'd recommend them.
have fun!
Totally agree with Philip, in my personal opinion the first trip to Africa should be solo unless the wife/family are going. The very last thing I wanted to worry about on my first safari was if someone I may have talked into going was having a good time or not.

Enjoy your trip! I've taken 12 trips to African alone, and I have enjoyed each and every one of them. Instead of having someone to chat with after lunch I would go read a book then take a bit of a nap, very relaxing!

I am headed to Nimibia on June 12 for 2 weeks. Second safari and I am getting totally pumped for animals I am hoping to take. Leopard,Rhino,Waterbuck,Gemsbok and maybe an impala if I see the right one. I am a big fan also of David Majors. He does a fast turnaround and his mounts are always FANTASTIC !
I use Cindi Rulon with Pro Cargo USA. They are very reasonable and get the job right the first time without storage charges.

Ty's Taxidermy in Vidor, tx does an amazing job! They specialize in African game. Also, they use DT Gruelle for clearing. Working with them and Gruelle has proven to be a quick and easy process!

I am headed to Nimibia on June 12 for 2 weeks. Second safari and I am getting totally pumped for animals I am hoping to take. Leopard,Rhino,Waterbuck,Gemsbok and maybe an impala if I see the right one. I am a big fan also of David Majors. He does a fast turnaround and his mounts are always FANTASTIC !

Rhino? Wow .... What area of Namibia?

I currently have my mounts at Top of Texas Taxidermy, (https://www.topoftexastaxidermy.com/) is also one of the sponsors here. I've never met Erik in person, only through post on here. When we spoke on the phone for the first time, it was like two old pals catching up. Great guy to deal with. There are several members here who've had their mounts done by Erik. Check it out.

Welcome to AH Mossman, sorry to hear your friends won't be joining you, but Africa will look after you. Keep us all posted upon your progress.

I am going on my first safari this year as well - my input is only from research so take it with a grain of salt as none of this is first hand experience.

I'm also going to be shipping to Houston so I contacted Coppersmith as they have a reputation for getting things into their own storage quickly. I have read about crates sitting on docks in airports charging $150/day waiting for clearance. Their quote was $600-800 for air freight but given that's only 4 days of airline storage if another company is slower to respond any savings would be lost. I will say even Coppersmith caveated that the quote doesn't include potential airline storage.

Will definitely be interested to see who you use for mounts around Houston as well as how your import and process goes as you will be going a month ahead of me!
Just be careful with any import company. My friend used Coppersmith coming into San Francisco and it sat for 2 weeks in a warehouse. He fought the extra charges and eventually negotiated a fairer price.

The important thing is do your homework but stay on top of them.

HH

Just be careful with any import company. My friend used Coppersmith coming into San Francisco and it sat for 2 weeks in a warehouse. He fought the extra charges and eventually negotiated a fairer price.

The important thing is do your homework but stay on top of them.

HH
Good advise, I did see a lot of delays in clearance of shipments recently but many, not all, we’re on the left coast for some reason and the majority of them were in California.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.