AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
1649964178301.png

a wonderful Remington Wingmaster 20 Gauge 3"
Steel/wood
with chokes and a slug barrel.
The gun is just for safety when I go with my dog for driving boar hunts as a beater.
(OK, you need some excuse to treat yourself to something new :rolleyes:
I'm a long-serving 20 gauge shooter and know what it's all about.

Hope for a good result at 50m with the Brennecke slugs.
Can hardly wait to run the lady.
A pump belongs in every household :)
Foxi

Last edited:
View attachment 462016
a wonderful Remington Wingmaster 20 Gauge 3"
Steel/wood
with chokes and a slug barrel.
The gun is just for safety when I go with my dog for driving boar hunts as a beater.
(OK, you need some excuse to treat yourself to something new :rolleyes:
I'm a long-serving 20 gauge shooter and know what it's all about.

Hope for a good result at 50m with the Brennecke slugs.
Can hardly wait to run the lady.
A pump belongs in every household :)
Foxi
Very nice @Foxi,

what made you decide to go for a pump action slug gun for following up on wounded boar?

I've had many discussions about the matter here, and due to the vegetation in the thicker stuff, most conclude that a pistol in a large caliber would be handier than a long arm. As your off-hand is usually in front pushing branches away, or when you are on your knees, crawling under de fir trees, used as a support.

Hello Vertigo,
as good as nobody of our Phs (60 searches up per year) takes a handgun for the wound search with.The thing can be lost,no energy (.44 Magnum E0 = 100kg),need very much training.
But the main problem is the safe shot.Do you shoot in the rush when the dog fighting the boar at 15 meters with the revolver !!!! A shot with my gun is risky enough.

Our PHs (I'm just an avid Sunday hunter) have almost exclusively a truncated boltaction with Mausersystem in caliber 8 x57 or .30-06 and thus an E0 of just under 400 kg.
Some of them have Pumps ,you can wear it absolute safety and in a flash is a cartridge in the chamber.
Open sights are mandatory.
A friend follows with his pump in 12/70 and slug barrel for 20 years every sick pig in the bushes.
Every revolver is a toy in comparison and if you lose it in Germany in the thick cover and can't find it, it's your turn and you can quit hunting.
I have shot some boars with slugs from my Drilling and the effect was stunning. At short range.But nothing beats a good rifle bullet,just my opinion.
But splinters are always a danger for the dogs and on full contact the effect is very good ( and the meat not so damaged ).
The gun was a long, unnecessary wish of mine.
A "MUST HAVE"
Women have yes also more bags and shoes than necessary :)

Contemplative Good Friday
Foxi

p.s. I was told its a Express Combo,but Wingmaster is more classical name,I dont know the difference :unsure:
Dont care that.

Last edited:
Hello Vertigo,
as good as nobody of our Phs (60 searches up per year) takes a handgun for the wound search with.The thing can be lost,no energy (.44 Magnum E0 = 100kg),need very much training.
But the main problem is the safe shot.Do you shoot in the rush when the dog fighting the boar at 15 meters with the revolver !!!! A shot with my gun is risky enough.

Our PHs (I'm just an avid Sunday hunter) have almost exclusively a truncated boltaction with Mausersystem in caliber 8 x57 or .30-06 and thus an E0 of just under 400 kg.
Some of them have Pumps ,you can wear it absolute safety and in a flash is a cartridge in the chamber.
Open sights are mandatory.
A friend follows with his pump in 12/70 and slug barrel for 20 years every sick pig in the bushes.
Every revolver is a toy in comparison and if you lose it in Germany in the thick cover and can't find it, it's your turn and you can quit hunting.
I have shot some boars with slugs from my Drilling and the effect was stunning. At short range.But nothing beats a good rifle bullet,just my opinion.
But splinters are always a danger for the dogs and on full contact the effect is very good ( and the meat not so damaged ).
The gun was a long, unnecessary wish of mine.
A "MUST HAVE"
Women have yes also more bags and shoes than necessary :)

Contemplative Good Friday
Foxi

p.s. I was told its a Express Combo,but Wingmaster is more classical name,I dont know the difference :unsure:
Dont care that.
makes a lot of sense!

Good choice Foxi, had the same combo in 12Ga. many years ago, even shot a deer with it, Legia Brenneke Slug.

Foxi, I have and old Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12 Ga. I purchased a Hastings Rifled barrel for it. The Hastings barrel will clover leaf slugs at 50 m. Enjoy your new toy!

@Foxi, good choice on the gauge. One caveat, if the barrel is rifled, use saboted slugs if you don't want to spend hours removing lead from the grooves.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 3.02.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 3.02.03 PM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
@Foxi - I believe what @Hogpatrol is trying to say is that rifled slugs are for smooth bore shotguns, while Sabot slugs are smooth sided for use in rifled barrels. Rifled slugs in rifled barrels causes problems with lead build up in the grooves, turning your rifled barrel into a smoothbore in short order. Or at least negating any advantage of having a rifled barrel.

BTW - Really like the shotgun with the laminated wood. I have a friend with one and he really likes it as well. Does a good job in all weather conditions.

Last edited:
Hi Foxi
Very good shotgun!!!
Congratulations!
I shot a lot of boars with a 12 gauge shotgun and slugs
More than 40 large boars, between 20 and 130 meters, the slugs are unforgiving!
But now, to go looking for the wounded big pigs, I don't use dogs and I prefer the gun, but I practice a lot with it.
I use a 45 ACP "Star" pistol, handmade bullets, soft lead RN 240 gns at 830 fps...
Faster for double or triple tapping if needed, (not usually but just in case...) lighter and more versatile in hard bushes...
Many of my colleagues here use buckshot shotguns, but they shoot more dogs than pigs... The buckshot open the rose a shorter distance than normal shotgun blasts.
The slug easily passes through boars... so be careful with the backstop, if there is a ddog behind the boar don't shoot...
But, if in your case, you feel more comfortable to shoot quickly, effectively and safely with a shotgun than with a handgun, you made a good choice with the shotgun!
That if, put a transport strap! It's something to be thankful for in the dirty undergrowth

Last edited:
@Foxi, My first rifled barrel slug gun, I shot all makes and brands of slugs for most accuracy. Shot most of the "rifled slugs" and none were as accurate as saboted slugs. They filled the grooves with lead and I had to peel out six inches and longer strips of lead from the grooves on the chamber end, It was a task I wouldn't want to do again. Your choice but I would save myself a lot of grief and shoot only saboted slugs. Brenneke now makes the Topas, a saboted slug. My guess is with rifled slug guns aka DSGs being popular and their lead slugs not usable in them, with competition, they got religion and started making saboted slugs for all gauges.
That kit you posted may take out light lead fouling but what builds up in the grooves is not going to be removed with a brass brush. You'll have to peel it out mechanically.

Last edited:
Dont care that.

Wingmaster is going to have high gloss blued barrel and walnut stock. If you called that a wingmaster in the US, you would get laughed at for not knowing what you're talking about. Europe would probably let that slide as I assume many may not know the difference either.

One thing of note is that finish on the laminate stock will come off if exposed to deet bug spray and the "blued" barrel/receiver could badly tarnish if exposed to water for any period of time. Depends on when it was made - it was a big problem 10 years ago. Neither will affect how it shoots. If you want to lighten the trigger I believe Jard or Timney (forget which) offers a simple fix. Also, you can switch out the safety for a larger button if you hunt with gloves on - it can be a bit tricky to engage with gloves.

Everyone seems to be assumpting that your slug barrel is rifled. Is it?

The OP's photo shows a barrel with adjustable iron sights, common on any rifled and turkey shotgun barrels.

I might NOT...
There is a common smooth barrel, 20" i supose, without choke, for "defense" (bad called ) intended for lead slugs NOT for sabots...
my opinion!
@Foxi, are a smooth or twisted rifled barrel?

Last edited:
The OP's photo shows a barrel with adjustable iron sights, common on any rifled and turkey shotgun barrels.
Hogpatrol.... i think you are right!...
So, al you write about the problems with lead slugs in the rifled barrels are not a matter of this smooth barrel
Isn´t it?
I never use a rifled barrel ina shotgun... Very rare here

Hogpatrol.... i think you are right!...
So, al you write about the problems with lead slugs in the rifled barrels are not a matter of this smooth barrel
Isn´t it?
I never use a rifled barrel ina shotgun... Very rare here
Rifled slugs are for use in a smooth bore shotgun with a cylinder (CYL) or improved cylinder (IC) choke. The choke varies from shotgun to shotgun, but in general either of these will perform well. Please check how your shotgun prints before using it on game.

Sabot slugs (that have no rifling) are specifically for rifled shotgun barrels.

Using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel causes lead build up in the rifling of the shotgun from the relatively small contact area of the rifled slug against the rifled barrel. It's literally scraping lead into your rifling from the rifled slug. Then you are left with a mess of lead to to clean out of your rifling, because now your shotgun won't fire either type of slug with consistent accuracy.

Correction to a previous post, the Brenneke Topas saboted slug is only made in 12 gauge. In my hunting area, centerfires are not allowed so the slug gun is very popular, albeit 20 gauge. IMHO, 12 gauge, 1 oz slugs (437.5 grains) on deer is like using atomic bombs for crowd control. YMMV.

I have a friend who has a Savage 20 bore bolt action shotgun that he uses for Whitetail Deer. It shoots sub-MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards with a 1.5-5x20 Leupold on it with this Federal Ammo.
1650156190038.png

Rifled slugs are for use in a smooth bore shotgun with a cylinder (CYL) or improved cylinder (IC) choke. The choke varies from shotgun to shotgun, but in general either of these will perform well. Please check how your shotgun prints before using it on game.

Sabot slugs (that have no rifling) are specifically for rifled shotgun barrels.

Using rifled slugs in a rifled barrel causes lead build up in the rifling of the shotgun from the relatively small contact area of the rifled slug against the rifled barrel. It's literally scraping lead into your rifling from the rifled slug. Then you are left with a mess of lead to to clean out of your rifling, because now your shotgun won't fire either type of slug with consistent accuracy.
Yes, i know that, thanks!
Rifled bores=sabot
Smooth bores=slug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.