AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Khomas HL and Omaheke/Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa/Zambia-,Gwayi/Zimbabwe/- + Save/Zimbabwe/- River. Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
I never had the wish to use a Double Rifle.
And so I was always happy with my Drilling and some repeating guns I use,or my Blaser K 95
And everyone knows that a double can be a diva.Moody and expensive.
And for buffalo in Africa, I loved my .375 simple Brünner with a Swarowski Scope and maximum 6 rounds in !!
A few days before last Christmas, there ended an auction in egun and to sell was a
Ferlach-Franz Sodia over and under double in .458 Win mag.
Produced in 1960
A widow sold this over a gunsmith.

No gun for me.
Over/under-is no classical style and.458 is not a caliber for a double rifle.
But the devil never sleeps. ;) And so, I made the race.
And it came a wonderful one ,in a perfect shape and simple elegance.
The scope can not found anymore .And I dont know at the moment ,so I mount an other one, or better an aimpoint. ?

The manufacture Franz Sodia is not longer exist anymore,but I get a contact to one of his grandchilds.
Also gunsmith and he told me following story about the doubles in .458 from his grandfather:

Franz Sodia in Ferlach,a little village in Austria,settled by gunmakers, built hundreds of doubles in three decades, which were going to oversee,mostly in the USA.
And in that times ,it was modern for his american clients to produce over and under and not side by side.
And almost not only one of the Americans want in those days an other caliber for Big Game as .458
.458 Win .Mag. was the absolute shooting star.

And so ,it was my personal christmas present last year and a needless financial sacrifice.
But Im happy.
I saw no necessity to change my currently caliber and weapon.
But it was the impuls "nice to have",like my wife, when she is buying new shoes or a handbag.
I can understand the girls,but I think ,mine was a better investment :whistle::whistle::whistle:
And I have the dream, to show her some day a buffalo in Mozambik..........(I mean the rifle,not my wife;)
Foxi
Ferlacher a.jpg

Ferlacher b.jpg

Last edited:
Very Nice!

I hope that you are aware that you've succumbed to a lust that will never be satisfied until you gain another. And another and another.

She looks great Foxi. Congratulations.

Hope you don't get in trouble taking your mistress with you to Africa. :)

A very nice rifle sir.

Nice pair of shoes you got.
Impulse control is over rated.

Congratulations Foxi, Franz Sodia made very good rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg