Hatari! 60th anniversary; help needed for food ideas

Yes, Hardy Kruger- looking back on his work, excellent actor. Outstanding in Flight of the Phoenix.

What you need for the meal are some hot dogs which for the East African day, shall be referred to as "sausages". Equally well served for breakfast as for lunch. And of course some poor excuse of tomato paste thought to be ketchup but most definitely not.. Must have tomatoes, warmed up in a skillet. Some rock hard things that wish to pretend to be cookies but are referred to a rusks, or are they the husks from long dead cookies? Instant coffee, considered to be the premium stuff, not bad actually for a continent that has yet to discover the real brewed nectar of the Gods... plenty of tea. And some orangish colored drink with lots of sugar in it that is referred to as juice. Round delicate rather delicious little pieces of pork known as bacon but not to be confused with real bacon nor with Canadian bacon, but rather an African hybrid.

Lots of various hot sauces, some made from peppers, some from trees, or whatever else may be available.

And to top it off with the closest thing you can get in the States.... find some old leather soled cowboy boots, fillet them out, scrape some of the crap off the bottom, marnate behind the wood stove for a week and after pounding with a large framing hammer, fry them up and it will taste just like rhino tenderloin;)

Watched this for the first time. An interesting film. Not much of a story line but the action shots coursing across the plains were pure insanity. Very impressed no one was killed in those action shots.
A fun movie I’ll watch again.

In " Vagabond Hunter", Sten Cedergren writes about when he many other ph's were hired to be mix of all kinds of extra works and services like protection there for rge set and crew. A large moving safari one can say it was.

Also Jan Oelofsen not only did much of the animal training there,but he guided John Wayne on a elephant hunt there which was successful. Sadly footage not put into the movie ,

Movie is based on a story by Harry Kurnitz. I was thinking I had a copy of his book, but cant lay my hands on it at the moment if in fact it even exists.
I also have the Milner book which is pretty rare itself IIRC.

I know I have told this before but my first trip over was to Tanzania and I was sharing the hunt with an Austrian chap and our PH was also Austrian and they both mentioned Hatari as we were hunting the same basic area as the movie was filmed.
The other hunter said Hatari was a Hardy Kruger movie, not a John Wayne movie, LOL.
Matter of perspective I guess.

Most of the movie was shot on my grandad's land. He was Willie de Beer. Sadly I just knew him only as a young boy.
In the house, I can tell you in, Afrikaans, those were 'vleis, rys en aartappels' days. That is meat, rice and potatos. Something like leg of lamb, rice and baked potatoes, but on safari I saw old photos of massive ribs being roasted on the side of the fire.
What I would have given to have been borne a generation earlier.

Ps
I was fortunate to meet Jan Oelofse, who was taught by grandad and spend some time on his ranch in Namibia. He was a real cowboy to the end.
Photos of grandad
IMG-20180121-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20180121-WA0020.jpg

Last edited:
This was a rat pack era movie - a time when men were men and women were women. The menu would have had second place to the drink list. I agree with the notion of good South African wines (maybe also a really dry Sylvaner in honor of Hardy Kruger and a Super Tuscan for Elsa Martinelli). Wayne is best remembered with bourbon.
Perfect!!!

Most of the movie was shot on my grandad's land. He was Willie de Beer. Sadly I just knew him only as a young boy.
In the house, I can tell you in, Afrikaans, those were 'vleis, rys en aartappels' days. That is meat, rice and potatos. Something like leg of lamb, rice and baked potatoes, but on safari I saw old photos of massive ribs being roasted on the side of the fire.

Ps
I was fortunate to meet Jan Oelofse, who was taught by grandad and spend some time on his ranch in Namibia. He was a real cowboy to the end.
Photos of grandad View attachment 472665View attachment 472666
Thanks for sharing the photos of your grandfather.

Ps
@bones My great grandfather was George de Beer younger brother to Willie. I believe their father Jannie had just as remarkable and stories of catching many game on horseback

Ps
I have just made some enquiries on this site about a weapon before I came across this story, I am told by my gran that the weapon was passed down from jannie (your great grandfather) to George de Beer and then onto my grandfather then on to my father (who was born in arusha 1960)

The gun:
300H&H jeffery with Zeiss zeilvier scope. Made in 1936.

I also have a .22 pump action that's been passed down.

20230723_092811.jpg
20230723_092151.jpg
20230723_092527.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just made some enquiries on this site about a weapon before I came across this story, I am told by my gran that the weapon was passed down from jannie (your great grandfather) to George de Beer and then onto my grandfather then on to my father (who was born in arusha 1960)

The gun:
300H&H jeffery with Zeiss zeilvier scope. Made in 1936.

I also have a .22 pump action that's been passed down.

Here is some of the article on scopes they have written about . Good i fo on Zeiss there and ZielVier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg