Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Hunted
Namibia
Hatari! was released on June 19, 1962. To celebrate the 60th anniversary one of my daughters suggested we have a Hatari-themed meal and watch the movie together. I don’t need much of an excuse to watch it, but we’re at a loss as to what to make for the meal. Pockets makes a comment about codfish cakes “deep fried in antelope fat” in the movie, but I seem to recall that in the book (a novelization by Michael Milner) it states they weren’t actually codfish. Trouble is I can’t recall if it even said what they were, and my copy of the book is up at our cabin so I won’t be able to look it up before the meal. There was toast and coffee in the movie, but not much else that I can remember.

Does anyone have any ideas for food that would be appropriate? Please note that I’m in Wisconsin so I won’t be able easily get any African food. Thanks.

Kurt

This was a rat pack era movie - a time when men were men and women were women. The menu would have had second place to the drink list. I agree with the notion of good South African wines (maybe also a really dry Sylvaner in honor of Hardy Kruger and a Super Tuscan for Elsa Martinelli). Wayne is best remembered with bourbon.

I've seen it a couple maybe three times and can't recall specifics for dinner. It looked like a decent spread once but we'd all have to guess. Given the location it's meat and potatoes. Either beef or game meat and all the usual trimming per early 60s. Plenty of drinks, looks like beer along with whiskeys and maybe Gin &Tonics. But honestly you'll need cigarettes more than anything. No one was shy about that in the movie.

This was a rat pack era movie - a time when men were men and women were women. The menu would have had second place to the drink list. I agree with the notion of good South African wines (maybe also a really dry Sylvaner in honor of Hardy Kruger and a Super Tuscan for Elsa Martinelli). Wayne is best remembered with bourbon.
HatariJohnWayneNYE1960.jpg

I guess they all had to much bourbon at the Momella lodge :unsure:

African Queen.jpg

love the time at the rat pack area

Last edited:
As has been mentioned, cigarettes and alcohol is what they seem to consume the most of in the movie. I'd forgotten the scene where Pockets steps on the cheetah's tail and spills a plate of food on Sean. It looks like prime rib.

Seems like the menu is superfluous to the family time spent watching this movie together. Agree with @Red Leg and others above wine and whiskey.

Seems like the menu is superfluous to the family time spent watching this movie together. Agree with @Red Leg and others above wine and whiskey.
True.

We enjoy having something as accurate as possible. We have the book License to Cook so we sometimes will do this with a James Bond movie.

I enjoy watching the movie once in a while. Fun and entertaining if not taken too seriously. I think Pockets scooping up codfish cakes fried in antelope fat for breakfast almost made a hung over Sean sick :)

Thanks for posting! I’ll watch it and lift one for Hardy Kruger, who I think was the last of the cast to pass, earlier this year.

If I remember correctly, roast beef was in the somewhere.

I enjoy watching the movie once in a while. Fun and entertaining if not taken too seriously. I think Pockets scooping up codfish cakes fried in antelope fat for breakfast almost made a hung over Sean sick :)

Thanks for posting! I’ll watch it and lift one for Hardy Kruger, who I think was the last of the cast to pass, earlier this year.
I had missed that. Hell of a fine actor with an incredible life experience. Just watched "The Wild Geese" for the umpteenth time a couple of nights ago. And no one could have played a more believable Major General Ludwig in "Bridge to Far."

General Ludwig : "Forgive me, but there is a battle. And we are in the process of winning it."

They really are now all gone. I had the privilege to have lunch with Jan Oelofse a couple of years before he passed at his farm in Namibia. He had us in tears describing trying to hide behind the bathtub which was holding a very naked Elsa Martinelli and getting the cheetah Sonja to play her part according to the script.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly, roast beef was in the somewhere.
It is. They have prime rib, and upon seeing it Pockets exclaims "Roast beef! My favorite". Looks like carrots, potatoes, and a lettuce salad too. We've decided to do grill some steaks and serve them with carrots, potatoes, and a lettuce salad!

It is. They have prime rib, and upon seeing it Pockets exclaims "Roast beef! My favorite". Looks like carrots, potatoes, and a lettuce salad too. We've decided to do grill some steaks and serve them with carrots, potatoes, and a lettuce salad!
And bourbon ....... and gin. ;)

Hardy was the last. We are not better for their passing.

Last edited:
One thing I never forgot in that movie was the gas flying out of the gas tank on the Jeep when the rhino slammed into it during the chase. Crazy scenes in all those chases. Those people were nuts!
However, a wild ride in that chair on the front fender would be unforgettable.
Fun movie to watch. End to end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you