Has magnum action today, really become history?

Chiming in from 2024.

The trend continues for the diminishing of true magnum-length actions being available in mass produced rifles from the "big guys".

The Sako 85 line has since fallen to the same fate as the CZ550's, being the last of the affordable XL magnums available to the average working man.

Like others have commented there are still plenty of offerings that will fit the 375HH, 416 RemMag and the 3.34 Magnums, however if you're in the market for a 416 Rigby, 450 Rigby, 505 Gibbs etc. you're now looking at 5 figure Mausers, Heyms, Parkwest Arms and the like.

The three cartridges you quoted, meaning the 416 Rigby, the 450 Rigby and the 505 Gibbs, were traditionally found primarily in expensive customer rifles. A few cheap attempts have been made to offer this cartridges in cheaper rifles, but if all of these companies now stop producing such rifles, the deal probably was not worth it. If you read the posts on the forum concerning the use of calibers for big game hunting, the trend is towards much smaller cartridges, especially and above all the 375 H&H Magnum, which does not require a magnum system. There are also plenty of cheaper alternatives to the three cartridges mentioned that do the job well and that don't require a magnum system. Magnum systems will continue to be manufactured but primarily for upper class custom rifles.

I was speaking with Ken Owen over the weekend about this topic. (Ken is a legend in the double rifle / safari rifle world). He was mentioning the original Kynoch / ICI loads using cordite all used 28" test barrels and the velocities were embellished a bit as well. Bottom line, all the storied tales of success were with 416 Rigby rifles shooting real-world velocities of 2050FPS-2150FPS, whereas the new factory loads are going at real-world 2350-2400FPS using a much tougher bullet. The bullet isn't dumping its energy into the animal, it's going straight through it. Not a good thing.
Which is why I'm fairly surprised there isn't much variety in terms of 416 Factory ammo. Everything I've been able to find so far is 400 grains doing 2,400fps or there abouts. I was hoping there would be something in the 2,300fps range or some lighter 300-350 grainers.

Looks like I'll have to start reloading.

However I can see why not everyone would gravitate towards these due to a few factors:
1. Rifle weight of 8.25lbs (ouch)
2. Capacity of 2+1
3. Proprietary cartridges
4. Velocity + Recoil.
5. Pushfeed.
You have a point, let me comment on each

1. Rifle weight of 8.25lbs (ouch) - for me not an issue

2. Capacity of 2+1 - thats just too bad, I dont like it. If double rifle has 2 immediate shots available, then bolt action should have at least 4 shots.

3. Proprietary cartridges - pain in the neck to find ammo in local shop. For me, a turn off.

4. Velocity + Recoil. - yes, not really attractive

5. Pushfeed. - for me, irrelelvant. I am CRF fun, but I recognise the fact that good push feed is also reliable.

In new market constellation Blaser R8 becomes more and more attractive.

And also, the old debate PF vs CRF becomes obsolete.
Few factories still keep 375 H&H available. Sauer 404, Sako 90, Bergara B14 come to mind.

But to me also, very surprising is fact that although designed for medium length action, 458 win mag is also a rare offering in modern rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.