Has anyone hunted on horseback

I hunt with horses for NA game every year. We don’t shoot close to them, though. A good horse will make packing out an animal much easier. We usually leave some animal parts in the corral (especially a recently killed hide) to help desensitize the horses.

I got to watch my dad running downhill trying to stop two horses that were pulling a bull elk. As soon as the horses started moving, they didn’t like that the elk was dragging behind them so they picked up the pace. My poor dad was between them with both lead ropes and just in front of the skipping body of a full size bull elk. Thank God he was able to stop them. I watched it all since I happened to be carrying the bull’s head.

I think more to the effect of if you tether your horse and leave him for a few hours to stalk when you come back you might find just a skeleton. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
Ha! Ha! Your probably right!

I hunt with horses for NA game every year. We don’t shoot close to them, though. A good horse will make packing out an animal much easier. We usually leave some animal parts in the corral (especially a recently killed hide) to help desensitize the horses.

I got to watch my dad running downhill trying to stop two horses that were pulling a bull elk. As soon as the horses started moving, they didn’t like that the elk was dragging behind them so they picked up the pace. My poor dad was between them with both lead ropes and just in front of the skipping body of a full size bull elk. Thank God he was able to stop them. I watched it all since I happened to be carrying the bull’s head.
Yeah, my father in law has horses we pack the elk out with. But one time he tried to tie three horses together and I was hauling the head out. Didn’t work well. The horses got tangled up in some trees, my rifle fell out of the scabbard and one of the horses stepped on the scope and sheared the windage drew off (scope still worked though) and eventually we got it sorted out. Hope I can have the same experience if I ever make it to Africa! Ha! Ha! Ha!

I think more to the effect of if you tether your horse and leave him for a few hours to stalk when you come back you might find just a skeleton. :LOL::LOL::LOL:
How about camels then! Ha! Ha!

Probably the wrong thread and way off topic, but through all of the the threads and posts here, I really admire the Australian hunters’ way of hunting and hunting camps. Spartan camps, and walking into the bush in search of game. That’s what I’m used too. If I ever make it to Africa, this is what I would want. The recent movie shown here of Ruark And Selby on an epic Safari throughout Africa is what I imagine a true African Safari would be like. Of course in today’s world a ten to fifteen day hunt would suffice? I just don’t need the five star accommodations when hunting. Silly me!

I think the threadstarter meant the shot from the horse, not the transport of hunter and prey.
But it can also fool me.
Moose stags in the rut are not necessarily funny ,when you sit on the horse.
And a strong eland bull approached my mare in October at shotgun range and it was hard to convinced,that we are not his kind.

I think the threadstarter meant the shot from the horse, not the transport of hunter and prey.
But it can also fool me.
Moose stags in the rut are not necessarily funny ,when you sit on the horse.
And a strong eland bull approached my mare in October at shotgun range and it was hard to convinced,that we are not his kind.
“A strong eland bull approached my mare”? Why the hell are you hunting on horseback in Africa? They have Landrovers! AND, your mare is liable to become a skeleton, with you on her! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Read “Hell West and Crooked” by Tom Cole, inspiring stuff.

IMG_2199.JPG

I'm a city slicker vs a country boy but I thought horses had to be trained to allow someone shooting off their backs.
I have read that all the horses you can shoot off of live in Hollywood. Having ridden horses in California, Hawaii, Mexico, and Belize, I really don't want to be very close to one when a gun goes off. I don't know how the cavalry soldiers did it. I would like to make a horseback hunt sometime, but I will leave the horse before I shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross