Has anyone heard about this? Limcroma Safaris / SBS Logistics

Wheels, good advice.
I know a few very large Plains Game trophies that have fallen off the truck in one of my shipments and I also know of a couple others. It happens. Thankfully, not very often.
In all my hunts it has been the final leg of getting the trophies home that has been the most fraught with aggravation.

Yes I doubt my cull baboon will turn up missing!!

You say that, but there was a complaint on here one time where a baboon skull went missing at dip and pack! It was the only animal in the shipment as I recall.

Not trying to scare you, these things are rare, but they do happen.

You say that, but there was a complaint on here one time where a baboon skull went missing at dip and pack! It was the only animal in the shipment as I recall.

Not trying to scare you, these things are rare, but they do happen.

Come on MAN!!!!!!! HA!!

Come on MAN!!!!!!! HA!!

I'm sure that was a total accident, but it does happen. The rhino horn obviously wasn't an accident....

I shot a zebra that was very special. Almost no shadow stripes, and had survived a wild lion attack (look at how the stripes don't match up). Plus some personal things that went back to my childhood made this animal very special and literally irreplaceable.

I had the rug done in SA and was scared to death it would get lost. I sent the taxidermist emails for months - was it back from tannery yet? No, no, no I kept hearing. Finally, it came back I was told. So I asked for a picture, which I finally received. Guess what? It wasn't my zebra. No question no doubt. I was sick. Long story short, after much searching it was found. Point though is that if I hadn't kept on it that Zebra would have been lost forever....

FB_IMG_1486849924154.jpg

Yes I doubt my cull baboon will turn up missing!!
I had a baboon as the only animal for the trip and when it arrived it was not my skull, mine was old and had all four canines broken, the skull I received was a prime of life baboon with big fangs. On another hunt the blue wildebeest that my wife shot wasn't the same one we got, very disappointing for her as it was her first African game animal and she made a perfect shot with her bow and no trophy to show for it!

I'm sure that was a total accident, but it does happen. The rhino horn obviously wasn't an accident....

I shot a zebra that was very special. Almost no shadow stripes, and had survived a wild lion attack (look at how the stripes don't match up). Plus some personal things that went back to my childhood made this animal very special and literally irreplaceable.

I had the rug done in SA and was scared to death it would get lost. I sent the taxidermist emails for months - was it back from tannery yet? No, no, no I kept hearing. Finally, it came back I was told. So I asked for a picture, which I finally received. Guess what? It wasn't my zebra. No question no doubt. I was sick. Long story short, after much searching it was found. Point though is that if I hadn't kept on it that Zebra would have been lost forever....

View attachment 172406

That's one of my biggest fears when dealing with taxidermy/processors and what led me to processing my own game in Texas. I went to pick up my meat from a local processor and noticed my order was missing some back straps. The guy turns around and grabs some back strap packs from another bin. When he went to put the meat in my box I said WHOA!! No thanks. I made them recount and reweigh my order. I was over 20# short from what was shown on the invoice. Bought my grinder the next week and never looked back.

That Zebra was an amazing animal and I too would have missed it as well. Very unique.

I had a baboon as the only animal for the trip and when it arrived it was not my skull, mine was old and had all four canines broken, the skull I received was a prime of life baboon with big fangs. On another hunt the blue wildebeest that my wife shot wasn't the same one we got, very disappointing for her as it was her first African game animal and she made a perfect shot with her bow and no trophy to show for it!

What are the steps taken by outfitters to help reduce the chances of losing or mixing up game?

What are the steps taken by outfitters to help reduce the chances of losing or mixing up game?

They all, or any worth their salt, have a tagging and tracking system in place. Name codes, color codes, specific bins, etc...

Sometimes TIA though. ...

And leave something just out and laying around and it can get stolen easily.

They all, or any worth their salt, have a tagging and tracking system in place. Name codes, color codes, specific bins, etc...

Sometimes TIA though. ...

I think I read on here somewhere to make cards with your information to put with the animals. Helps with keeping track. Has this been used by anyone?

To the AH.com community,

We realize that this article has raised a lot of concern from our current and future clients. This is a terribly unfortunate situation for all parties involved. It is my utmost desire to provide a detailed explanation of the theft that took place. However, due to the pending litigation in this matter, we can only provide limited commentary at this time.

Back in 2015, a client who hunted a white rhino with us was in the process of having his trophy parts shipped back to the USA. The rhino's horns were stolen awaiting shipping at the logistics company that was utilized. This was a completely isolated occurrence, and prior to this theft, we have never had an incident like this with any clients' trophies while in the care of Trophy Pro SA or the logistics companies in charge of trophy shipments.

We are currently working to the best of our ability to find a resolution to this matter for all parties. I will be happy to provide full details of the entire situation and the final outcome when I am able to do so.

In the meantime, I want to personally reassure all of our clients, past present, and future, that they should have no reason for concern pertaining to the shipment and handling of their personal trophies. For many years, we have been providing our hunting clients with excellent quality in both trophy preparation and customer service. This was a situation that will not be repeated, and we appreciate all of you who continue to place your trust in us.

Warm regards, Hannes Els

I think I read on here somewhere to make cards with your information to put with the animals. Helps with keeping track. Has this been used by anyone?

Lots of taxidermists will send you cards to take and I think a faithful amount of guys do this. I took cards on first trip, but was told I didn't need them and I've never personally take any again. Doubt it could hurt though!

Yes my US taxidermist provided me with a bunch (like 45) that I took with me and provided to the outfitter who had them attached to each of my trophys. The cards were bright orange and laminated with my contact info on one side and taxidermist contact and shipping info on the other side. I am waiting for my trophys to ship from SA but I saw each and every trophy, with my tag on it, get loaded up onto the truck for dip/pack before I left at the end of my safari.

In the meantime, I want to personally reassure all of our clients, past present, and future, that they should have no reason for concern pertaining to the shipment and handling of their personal trophies. For many years, we have been providing our hunting clients with excellent quality in both trophy preparation and customer service. This was a situation that will not be repeated, and we appreciate all of you who continue to place your trust in us.

I can attest from my time dealing with Limcroma that Hannes Els is a first-class individual all the way. I'm sure he will do whatever is needed to sort this out on behalf of the client. I also used Trophy Pro to dip & pack my animal parts and they did a great job. The customer service and communication from Johan was nothing short of excellent.

I think anyone who has hunted Africa long enough (and that may be only once!) will have stories of "lost" trophies. sometimes, the loss is genuine - stuff happens, tags are ripped off or fall off, etc. I've had this happen more than once - and on one occasion, it was a leopard skull which went missing! When this happens, usually the trophy can be replaced without too much difficulty (although the memories may be something else).

Things change, though, when you are dealing with tusks and rhino horns. If either are lost, the cost of replacement - in terms of the original safari, including trophy fees - can be very high. And, of course, the black market value is even higher.

Given that rhino horns are literally worth their weight in gold, and given that they present a very tempting target, one could reasonably expect that the same precautions would be taken as would be taken with any valuable cargo. And given that the hunter is on another continent, and has no say, or even ability to have a say, in how the horns are looked after, I would think that the entire responsibility would be on those who come into contact with the horns, and in whose possession the horns were when they 'disappeared.'

As all have said, this is an unfortunate situation, but it should not result in a loss to the hunter.

One doesn't have to worry to much with average trophies but rhino horn is like diamonds or gold and would require considerable more precaution and security.

Wheels, good advice.
I know a few very large Plains Game trophies that have fallen off the truck in one of my shipments and I also know of a couple others. It happens. Thankfully, not very often.
In all my hunts it has been the final leg of getting the trophies home that has been the most fraught with aggravation.

Agreed. Things can happen.

Off hand I know I am missing at least three animals. Have had two sets of horns switched. Had small skulls over boiled where they have fallen to pieces. Poor tanning with multiple holes tanned through on multiple animals. Shoddy work on ancillary items made from skins. ie: wallets, belts, etc.

These things shouldn't happened but they do. ( I could probably have been more detail oriented about some of the things to make sure it didn't happen, like Royal and his zebra) You can get ticked off and let things bother you or decide you now have to go back and replace it.:)

Never been in a position of replacing a rhino though. With the trafficking in rhino horn in RSA, it seems negligent on somebodies part not to have a locked secured area/safe/armed security/etc. Or is it possibly negligent turning something of that value over to a company that doesn't have those resources. I might take the same attitude as the plaintiff.:(

To the AH.com community,

Warm regards, Hannes Els

Thank you for giving us what info you can provide. I had got wind of this a few days ago, and imminently reached out to Limcroma. They are determined to make this right on all levels. That doesn't mean that the hunter shouldn't be upset, but its good to know that Limcroma will do everything in the power to make it right (regardless of where the fault lies) and forward more ensure that this doesn't happen again.

Looking forward to our 1st trip...See you in July Hannes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg