Has anyone got experience with browning bps slug guns

Reaction score
Media
Evening gents I was wondering if anyone had experience with a browning bps slug gun, there are rumours going round that Nova Scotia may become shotguns only and that is a perfectly valid excuse to buy a slug combo. I’m considering a bps in 20 because there ambidextrous but would also be open to hearing about other left handed offerings.

It’s the old Ithaca patent. I owned one in .410 years ago. Not a great gun, not a terrible gun. I believe I gave it to my niece.

What a load of crap for Nova Scotia to go shotgun only. What problem do they think they are solving for?

Apparently it’s due to build up in rural areas , there hasn’t been a public announcement yet but one of my good buddies is a warden and he let slip. There considering a shotgun season as well.

I had the regular shotgun version of the BPS. Fairly well finished, nice to look at, comfortable to shoot and had the bottom eject feature. However, didn't seem to have the durability it should have. Some internal parts wore more quickly than they should have and/or they may have been under engineered?? I got the gun new and had it a few years until it began to have issues due to the parts wear. That's been quite a few years ago, so unknown about the current production.

I use a BPS 12 gauge for deer but mine has a Hastings rifled barrel, not browning. It’s shoots as well as I can manage the recoil with Brenneke black magic slugs.(open sights)
I can’t speak for the durability I only shoot five or ten rounds a year.
I do long for an Ithica 37

I killed a lot of deer with the original Ithica 37 deer slayer in both12 and 20 gauge. When they started making rifled barrels for slug guns I switched to a 12 gauge BPS with rifles barrel and cantilever scope mount. Killed a lot of deer with that until the changed the rules to allow rifles. I think the Ithica handled better but the BPS was much more accurate. I had no trouble hitting deer out to 150 yards with the savored slugs available back in the 99’s and early 2000’s.

I have a Ithaca Deerslayer II with the pinned rifled barrel that I bought in 1990 when I had access to 1000 acres of private land in upstate New York near Poughkeepsie that is shotgun only.
The Ithaca has bottom eject so it is ambidextrous. You just switch the safety around. It is reasonably accurate and will shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards. It needed trigger work from a good gunsmith.
It killed a lot of deer.
I would recommend getting a 20 gauge instead of a 12 gauge because the 20 gauge slugs are deadly on deer. I used a 20 gauge Savage 220 bolt action to kill a big Shiras moose last October instead of the Ithaca. The 20 gauge slug performed at least as well as a 180 grain 30/06 and I have lots of experience with the 30/06.

I bought a BPS 12 ga. in 1987 and used it for everything, including deer in Minnesota's slug only zone for many years.

It has been a real work horse and has performed flawlessly for me. I also have 870's and an Ithica 37. My personal preference is the BPS. I like the bottom eject (I reload) and the top safety. It has been the most reliable of the three. It is heavier than the 37. Its a good gun for the money.

I've hunted with slugs for over 40 years. If I were starting out I would get a rifled barrel on a pump or semi-auto and a 2x7 scope. I have see through mounts, but have never used the iron sights in the field. It would be a dedicated slug gun, I wouldn't switch out the barrel or remove the scope. Put a sling on it too.

Minnesota also allows muzzleloaders in their slug zones, if Nova Scotia allows them that would be another option to consider.

I have used a 20gauge BPS slug gun with cantilever rifled slug barrel for quite a few years and it will kils as good as any 12g, and I used both including the bemelli, 12g BPS with smoot and rifled barrel and Auto 5 in 12 gauge. I got away from the 12 due to weight and recoil. I only shoot sabots and don't forget a 20g is a 62 caliber bore pushing 7/8 oz slug. I believe the farthest shot was around 100 yards since I hunt in wooded/farm area

i have 3 browning bps actually, i have a 12ga with cantilever riffled barrel and it shoots very well, real accurate out to 120 yards with lightfields. but this year i am switching to hornaday sst, i have read good things about them just havent tried them yet probably this weekend or next. but then i also have a bps 20ga but i borrowed a cantilever rifled barrel from my buddy for my girlfriend to use last year and it shot very good out to a 100 yards. then my other is my turkey gun. im a lefty so bps is an awesome gun for me. cant go wrong with them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!