Has anyone brought reloading bullets or brass to SA in their Luggage?

Trogon

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Eastern Cape, SA; KY, OH, IN, WI, AL, KS, ND, TX-USA
I'm interested in possibly bringing reloading supplies (bullets and new, unprimed brass) on my visit later this year on my trip to South Africa for my PH. I will be using a camp rifle, so will not be traveling with firearms or ammunition. I need to look at ITAR rules, but wanted to see if anyone had experience with transiting with these items recently. I know there have been other threads on this topic previously, but having a hard time finding them.
I'll be flying from Newark NJ to Johannesberg SA and a connecting flight. If questionable I'll not do it, as I'd prefer to not muck up my travel plans. Advice and experience is greatly appreciated.

I have taken reloading bullets and unprimed brass in my checked bag all three of my trips to South Africa without any issues. I just packed in bag between clothing and other items. Flew Delta and Qatar on the trips. No issues or questions. Bags were checked and notes left inside by customs.

I've done this several times since the 1990s and never a problem. However, I was traveling with a firearm and I don't know if that makes a difference. I don't know if I'd do this sans a firearm and the permit that goes with the travel. I never had my luggage in SA looked through, Yes in Zim and other countries. Also, I depart from Anchorage which is a very firearm friendly airport.

Done it without issues! Brass, copper and lead are not regulated items - definitely no issues once you get to SA. I wouldn't try it with carry-on luggage but if it's checked then you will be fine.

The few times I carried brass or bullets in my checked luggage, no problem. Carry on is a no, no!

By accident I once carried a plastic bag of .22 in my jacket pocket Zim to S.A.. Fortunately I had just broken my ankle and was in wheel chair heading for surgery! I did not realize until I got to S.A. I sure got rid of those fast!

Brass in carry on is a big no no! I got caught with a piece of brass by eagle eye in Johannesburg. I was detained for 45 minutes and told I could be going to jail.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice, I appreciate it.

Do it every time I return from a visit to my folks the US!
Was stopped once after they scanned my bag at OrTambo but when they found out it was brass they let me go.
Please never pack primers or powder this is against airline regs and can bring a plane down.

Brass in carry on is a big no no! I got caught with a piece of brass by eagle eye in Johannesburg. I was detained for 45 minutes and told I could be going to jail.
I think it was more of a case of scaring you and trying to get some money out of you.

Our law in South Africa dictates that a primed case is live ammunition, a spent case brass is just it a piece of metal.

Has anyone transited through Ireland with brass (umprimed of course) before? I haven’t been able to find anything online that states a restriction on brass so figured I’d ask here. Will have a couple nights there on our way over to SA, so hoping to bring some brass in a checked bag for one of our PHs.

Thanks!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!