Hardcast lead for dangerous game hunts? (Africa)

Chrisbritton

AH member
Reaction score
Is anyone hunting large/dangerous game using your hand loaded and your own cast projectiles?

I shoot .458 Win mag / Lott and make projectiles up to 500gr and gas checked. I've practiced up to about 24bhn. ( I have copper content Babbitt ) and could cast harder if needed.

Anyone experimented with this in the penetration vs deformation dept?

I'm guessing for thin skin that nothing too special or hard is needed.. But thick skin stuff makes me wonder if hard cast can cut it?...you know..compared to solids...etc.

Thanks

I won't criticize the use of hardcast projectiles. However I will make the comment that I doubt whether they have as good a performance as a premium bullet. At the end of the day, whether you hunt Africa or local, the cost of your projectiles is minuscule compared to everything else, so why not go for the best available.
Having said that, its good to be able to make high quality cast on the basis that it may be all that's available (the way things are going).

I've never had an issue hunting with my cast lead bullets. I get better accuracy hand loading than mass produced commercial fodder.

I figure best? What's better than hand tailoring a worked up load using brass that perfectly matches a single rifles chamber... Vs brass that has to fit every rifle ever made in that caliber. Imho.. Commercial ammo itself is a tradeoff.

My only concern was fps. Even at 24bhn and gas checked..i think 2200fps will be difficult to obtain. 1800- easy.. 2000? Probably topping out soon.

Yes, two of my hunting buddies an I did a bullet testing Safari in southern Africa over 10 years ago and documented the tests and results on Leverguns.com in daily repots plus a back home summary. I saved all the reports on line and will try to find a way to publish them here. It should avoid and answer a high percentage of the repetitive questions on this forum -- including the ones above.

But my 45-70 Double Rifle regulation tests come first now that my North Fork bullet order arrived today. :)

I wouldn't try going for perfect brass that exactly matches your rifles chamber. . That stuff is fine for the range, but I would always use full length sized or new brass for hunting . Neck sizing is great for helping shoot little groups, I don't think it has a place in dangerous game applications.

What you are describing is something that is effectively somewhere between a 450 black powder express and a 450 nitro express as far as bullet design and velocity. So, it would be workable bearing in mind that you'd be towards the low end of what is considered prudent and that there are reasons heavier guns were developed and used.

Agreed..the fps don't hit the magic numbers... However looking back at history of the last 130 years..plenty of lesser guns took large animals..including 7mm mauser.

As for the corrosion ..that's a good point ..but one that can be mitigated using premium nickel brass. I have nickel brass in all my calibers 375 and up available. Dust and dirt..another point, but also one that can be mitigated. It should be possible to make an inbetween compromise resizing that while not as perfectly fit as neck sized brass..should be better than out of the box fit-anything ammo..and could be made to regulate better, if it's a double. You could also carry emergency commercial backup ammo if conditions start getting to where you are getting feed issues.

Not dismissing any ideas..just trying to think the situation out.

A 3rd compromise could be hand loaded ammo..but using commercial jacketed or solid projectiles..thus getting the fps back up into the magic number area.

I started reloading after being alarmed at the quality of factory ammo. Blemishes rounds..bad crimps.. Cracked necks..unchamberable ammo..wide difference in power levels in the same batch..etc.

I've been rolling my own whenever possible since.

With the 458 Lott get yourself some 500 grain Aframes , you will be good for anything except pachyderms.

I load my own too, it is satisfying taking game with loads you make yourself.

Last edited:
? because shooting good groups hunting is bad?
fclass and benchrest guys are now full length resizing and getting accuracy.
that aside, there are priorities with ammunition.
the first is that is is safe, the second is that it functions in the firearm.
for hunting, probably the 3rd is that the bullet suits the game at striking velocity.
which puts accuracy 4th.
particularly shooting cast bullets, you will not be shooting the eyes out of mosquitos at 1000 yds.
most GOOD rifles will be as accurate as shooter capability in the field with most loads.
bruce.

With the 458 Lott get yourself some 500 grain Aframes , you will be good for anything except pachyderms.

I load my own too, it is satisfying taking game with loads you make yourself.

I take it for elephant solids are the way to go?
For my 416 Rigby I have some federal safari fn solids.

fclass and benchrest guys are now full length resizing and getting accuracy.
that aside, there are priorities with ammunition.
the first is that is is safe, the second is that it functions in the firearm.
for hunting, probably the 3rd is that the bullet suits the game at striking velocity.
which puts accuracy 4th.
particularly shooting cast bullets, you will not be shooting the eyes out of mosquitos at 1000 yds.
most GOOD rifles will be as accurate as shooter capability in the field with most loads.
bruce.
1000 yards? I don't think I'll be hunting over 100 with a short express bbl/sight rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elisabeth1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross