Hanging trophies

RolandtheHeadless

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Has anyone figured out a good way to get a shoulder mounted trophy up an extension ladder to hang on a 16-foot wall? I going to have a kudu, gemsbok, nyala, puku, and sable for shoulder mounts, and a black wildebeest, buffalo, and duiker skull mounts. Have to fit these in with an Alaska Dall's sheep and mountain goat. I guess the duiker would go on any section of bare wall.

What is the best hanger system for hanging trophies? A screw in the wall serves on my current mounts, but that seems kind of sketchy, especially in an earthquake zone.

How about some general advice on what's most aesthetically pleasing? E.g., larger animals high up, kudu to top, kudu on bottom, kudu upside down. Would the sheep and goat look best by themselves or worked in with the African trophies?

Roland,

For really big critters, I've found that I need two 16 ft ladders and a friend (not my 5 ft tall wife) to help. I have a nice P&Y elk and it takes two guys to put it up or take it down.

If you have a lot of trophies to handle, you might consider going to a local rent-all place and rent some scaffolding.

I think people tend to group their African trophies on one wall or section and then the North American trophies grouped. That's how I do it.

For most of my trophies, I find a stud in the wall, drill a hole and tap in a 20 penny nail. For the elk, the taxidermist put an "Eye bolt" in the plywood on the back of the trophy. He suggested to screw a hook or another Eye bolt" opened up to make a hook. I used a pair of bolt cutters and snipped a little off the eye to create a hook.

upload_2017-3-25_10-53-28.png

Yes 2 people on 10 -16 foot ladders i s a must. Also for the bigger and heavier animals, use a 3 inch or longer lag bolt. You can find them at lowes for something like $1

If you have that many to hang rent some scaffolding for sure will make it so much easier. Two people on that will be way better then two ladders and way safer. You can hang any of that stuff with good ext. deck screws or a 20 penny nail and will me enough. Just make sure your in a stud. I have stuff on nails for years with no problem at all on just shoulder mounts.

I suggest that you buy ,rent or borrow some scaffolding. ladders are much too dangerous for the heavy stuff up high,

Buckdog, totally agree with you but I sort of chuckled when I read your post. Good advice, stay away from the dangerous ladder, so we all can go hunt dangerous game. :)

Great question. I rent a scissor lift from a local rental place for about $100.
A ladder is dangerous at 16'!
I too have the question for how to organize trophies and what some real artists concept might be for my trophy room. I always see pics of small simple collections and the huge museum type collections with all life size and habitats. I am somewhere in the middle.
Regards,
Philip

Buckdog, totally agree with you but I sort of chuckled when I read your post. Good advice, stay away from the dangerous ladder, so we all can go hunt dangerous game. :)
375 I agree kinda funny going dg hunting very shortly and worry about falling off ladders:D
If any of you guys know Dennis Harris ask him bout being impaled and trip to ER trying to put stuff on the wall with ladders.

I build a rectangular bracket like the one above which uses a 3/8" dia lag bolt for a local taxidermist. The is finishing up 3 large moose shoulder mounts and using them on those as well as any larger mount. They work great and he use to buy them from one of the tax supply places but they are about $13 each. Mine cost less and are the same. They are made from 1/4" thick 4" wide flat bar and are a bit over 4" long. They have the 3/8"+ slot with a upside down Y shape to made hanging easier. They are held on my 4 countersunk screws

Jim,

If you want me to help, I will be glad to pop over and lend you a hand.

Cheers,
Paul.

Find out what your taxidermist is using for the bracket on the form. Mine uses just a simple piece of sheet metal and hangs things with deck screws. But I have also seen where you need a 3/8" bolt head with a flat washer for the hanger from the taxidermist.

I also agree with the others on the ladders, remember safety first. I doubt that you would look good at all laying on the floor with a large African mount on top of you.

I bought the scaffolding for just this purpose! The buff neck bottom is at ten feet and his mounting bracket is at thirteen feet. By the way I hired two high school football players to put him up there. Get help for this stuff and invest In What you need to get it right.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Designed for the wall pedestal the 180° roto mount is the cat's ass for "floating" a mount off the wall. With 9" of length it not only allows the mount to be turned 180° it also alows a mount to be placed in a corner. With a total of 8 screws it is also very very strong.....tested to hold over 40 pounds easily

Cutom made but not for sale.

20160610_180757-1_zpserfaro8f.jpg

20160610_175049_zpsyoji5chy.jpg

20160610_175318_zpsxwdjkxc0.jpg

Attachments

• 20160610_175318_zpsxwdjkxc0.jpg
    20160610_175318_zpsxwdjkxc0.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 284
  • 20160610_175049_zpsyoji5chy.jpg
    20160610_175049_zpsyoji5chy.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 249
  • 20160610_180757-1_zpserfaro8f.jpg
    20160610_180757-1_zpserfaro8f.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 306
Great question. I rent a scissor lift from a local rental place for about $100.
A ladder is dangerous at 16'!
I too have the question for how to organize trophies and what some real artists concept might be for my trophy room. I always see pics of small simple collections and the huge museum type collections with all life size and habitats. I am somewhere in the middle.
Regards,
Philip

A ladder isn't necessarily dangerous at 16' . I use ladders every day for work, 16' is not bad at all. I go all the way to 40' with no problems

The key to ladders is, standing at ground level with ladder extended, put your feet right on the ladders feet. Then extend your arms fully, grab the ladder in front of you, then it's set at the right angle

This one is a simple slip pin model

20170304_202136_1488680497282_zpsulxzfhbc.jpg

20170304_202223_1488680544125_zpssursibui.jpg

Attachments

• 20170304_202223_1488680544125_zpssursibui.jpg
    20170304_202223_1488680544125_zpssursibui.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 260
  • 20170304_202136_1488680497282_zpsulxzfhbc.jpg
    20170304_202136_1488680497282_zpsulxzfhbc.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 318
The key to ladders is, standing at ground level with ladder extended, put your feet right on the ladders feet. Then extend your arms fully, grab the ladder in front of you, then it's set at the right angle
Absolutely spot on with the ladder advice. Sounds like its straight out of the OSHA handbook.

Thanks for the tips, guys. But where do you find some of these hanger gizmos you're showing.

Thanks for the offer, Paul. I may take you up. My trophies probably won't be here for another six months; I'm anticipating.

I don't have an African hunt to look forward to, unlike some people, so have to survive on memories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg