Handloads?

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I'm planning my first hunt in South Africa for next year. Everything I've read says ammunition must be in its original packaging. I'd prefer to use my own handloads. How do you guys handle this? Any legal issues? My hunt will be for plains game with my 30-06. It shoots fine with factory loads, but in my 30+ year hunting career, I've never taken a big game animal with factory loads. I'd like to continue this trend!

Thanks! That is the information I was looking for.

Glad to help

Without reading the articles if you are using different head stamp cases for your reloads that what your rifle shoots such as 30-06 stamp for a 25-06, don't.
Just make sure that the head stamp for the round matches your rifle.
I took 60 rounds into SA this last May in plastic boxes inside my locked ammo box and they never did look inside the ammo box.

Just got back from my trip. BA looked at my ammo boxes and weighed them on the way out. Nobody gave it another look thereafter. Still the headstamp advice is good. Just make sure you're using some MTM boxes or such made to carry ammo type boxes. The idea is they don't want the ammo bouncing around in a zip lock bag or something like that.

We took only my handloads when we hunted SA. They were in the MTM type plastic boxes inside a TSA locked pelican case. There was also a couple of factory boxes due to the room for packing it. One case for each of us. They did not even bother with the ammo. All ammo was in brass headstamped for the cartridge used. We took 338win mag/30-06 and 257Roberts.

Declared mine and all they did was check the serial number on the rifle. What you could do is visit the local range and pickup discarded boxes in your caliber if you want to be extra special safe. We all know there is the law and the law according to some clown with authority but without the brains to go along with it. Chances are your ammo won't be looked at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg