Handgunning Africa - what don't I know?

IronCowboy

AH veteran
Reaction score
I overlooked this sub-forum and posted the same question in the "Firearms and Ammunition" forum last week, so I apologize first for my oversight, secondly for my repost, and third, for asking such rudimentary questions!

SO...

I'm hoping you guys can point me in the right direction and get me up to speed on how to go about handgunning african game? I'm just starting this research, so again, I apologize for my own ignorance and kindergarten level questions:

What game can or can't be hunted with a handgun?

Are the complications for importing handguns as compared to rifles?

Are there any cartridge requirements for different game species?

Is the 44mag or 357/44 a reasonable and legal option for any game over there? (357/44 runs 158gn at ~2000fps and 180grn at 1850-1900fps, for those not familiar with it)

What are favored cartridges for DG? Is the 454C suitable?

Most importantly - I don't know what I don't know, so what else would I need to know?

I'm an avid big bore handgunner, but I'm a wheelgunner at my core, so I want to bring a big bore revolver. I'm not a huge fan of the X-Frames, and have bought and sold a 460S&W, but I have plenty of 454C's, a 480R, and a 475Line in the safe. I'm quite tempted to have one of my Redhawks converted to 500 Linebaugh, but that might be a pipe dream. I've taken American Bison with 44mag, but I'll assume that it's not considered suitable for most things over there?

If you look at the link below, you'll see that Cape Buffalo have been taken with the 454 Casull. Go to the trophy page for photos. Down the photo page, there is one taken by Sverre, a police officer from Norway I believe. I believe he used cast bullets but don't remember the weight. If you don't like the 460 S&W Magnum, I'd go with the 454 Casull that you do like mainly because bullet choices for that one are better than you would have for the 480 Ruger or the 475 Linebaugh though they would be perfectly suitable as well. The 44 Remington Magnum would also be suitable for most plains game.

How well a handgun works has more to do with shot placement than with the specific cartridge.

http://www.freedomarms.com/

Here's what can be done with a S&W 500.TSA gets a real kick out of looking for the serial number on the 500 (gotta open the cylinder).

More paperwork to do that your PH can help with. You can hunt just about anything with a big handgun. Get to be real good and very comfortable with whatever you take. Shoot it a bunch over here. Get real close to the game - then get ten yards closer. I use a red dot sight.
IMG3a.jpg

If I'm not mistaken, I believe open iron sights are not allowed-you must use a scope,red dot etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong as this information stopped me from looking any further at bringing my .44 when I went. I just personally prefer open sights on my handguns.

I think you're mistaken. It's true, the SAP are more likely to think of your handgun as a "sporting arm" if it has some type of optical sight, iron sights would be allowed. The individual uninformed police officer might think differently so if I were going to to it, I'd have a preapproved gun permit. Also, you could put some type of optical sight on your handgun and just remove it after you get there.

Mine will all have optics of some flavor installed, either a telescopic sight or a reflex red-dot sight. I have plenty good eye sight (near-sighted, but corrected with contact lenses to better than 20/20), but I just prefer the enhanced precision of an optic over iron sights, and especially appreciate the speed of a red-dot.

I suppose it wouldn't be likely possible, but I DO carry a short barreled 44mag or 454Casull, and would love to be able to do so in Africa as well, but again, I'd assume that I'll be hard pressed to convince the SAP that my 2.5" 454C is meant for hunting.

For handgun hunting in most African countries, does the gun have to be a revolver? I know many think the Desert Eagle is mostly a toy/novelty, but the 44 mag will knock down some pretty big stuff. Not to mention that easy barrel swap for length and caliber. I suppose mine would never be accepted as a sporting gun, since I managed to add the Gold Titanium Tiger Stripe to my collection!

20141220_112811.jpg

I plan to use it when I go after wild hogs later in the year. Along with my suppressed .308

I LOVE my Desert Eagles! Have a 6" .50 AE and both a 6" and 10" .44 Mag. All three have been coated inside and out with NP3 by Robar, and the .50 is Mag-Na-Ported. They're all more accurate than virtually all of my .44 Mag revolvers and the 10" .44 shoots into about 3" at 100 yards scoped. They're huge but amazing machines...and a hell of a lot of fun!
DesertEagle14.jpg

Attachments

• DesertEagle14.jpg
    DesertEagle14.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 450
glad to see I'm not the only one loving this monster. are they all the Mk7? I got the Mk XIX. I'm having a friend make a kydex holser for it, then a leather one after my trophy crate arrives with some orxy leather for the outside.

glad to see I'm not the only one loving this monster. are they all the Mk7? I got the Mk XIX. I'm having a friend make a kydex holser for it, then a leather one after my trophy crate arrives with some orxy leather for the outside.
Oryx leather sounds very cool! No, mine are all MK XIX's too. Just can't see the weaver slots in the tops of the 2 on the bottom of pic.

For handgun hunting in most African countries, does the gun have to be a revolver?

Some African countries such as Namibia don't allow handguns at all for hunting.

As far as what is allowed, in South Africa it could be a revolver, single shot or bolt action.

No semis allowed in handguns either? That's too bad.

I'd like to go to Canada for a bear or caribu one day. Is the DE an option up north, or do I need to bring a rifle? Or buy another pistol....

That is an awesome giraffe! I hope he was post prime!
;)
My best always

Here's what can be done with a S&W 500.TSA gets a real kick out of looking for the serial number on the 500 (gotta open the cylinder).

More paperwork to do that your PH can help with. You can hunt just about anything with a big handgun. Get to be real good and very comfortable with whatever you take. Shoot it a bunch over here. Get real close to the game - then get ten yards closer. I use a red dot sight.
View attachment 33665

What kind of ammo did you use and that is a beautiful bull.

I cant speak for priorivit but one of my clients shot a 350gr Barnes (if I recall accurately) and we successfully harvested an elephant with a frontal brain shot.

My best always

Ironboy.........................Wiki lists 63 different countries in Africa. Each has its own laws regarding importation of handguns. Your question is a good one, but very difficult to answer for this reason........among others............best of luck with the hog-legs.............................FW Bill

Just want to point out that Grumulkin who has posted here, is an active handgun hunter who has done numerous African safaris. I would listen to what this man says. I have consulted with him on a few handgun questions, and his experience regarding Handgun hunting is right up there with the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg