Handgun Letter for South Africa

akrifleman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Long Range Shooters of Alaska, Alaska Rifle Club, SCI, AK Wild Sheep, PRS, PRS22, NRA RSO
Hunted
South Africa, AK, SD, NC, GA, FL, WY
I see threads that have somewhat touched on what hanguns are legal for South Africa, but that isn't quite my question. I have a 475 Linebaugh with a 5 1/2" barrel, with iron sights.

The USA Rep (for the SA Guide) advised me I needed a letter from the local SCI or manufacturer, stating the gun was for hunting purposes only, and not a self-defense gun. I'm in Alaska, so who would be the right individual to contact for such a thing. Has this come up for others?

I'd send a email off to @riflepermits.com and ask the along with enlisting their services for the South African permit process

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd send a email off to @riflepermits.com and ask the along with enlisting their services for the South African permit process
I realize that's an option, but the Safari company already has the service. So, I'm trying to figure out who can help to satisfy their requirements.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realize that's an option, but the Safari company already has the service. So, I'm trying to figure out who can help to satisfy their requirements.
Riflepermist work with the police each day while the safari company only with their own hunters.
No harm in aksing them I'm sure they see all sorts coming in and out of South Africa with all types of firearms.

Well, I didn't ask because I knew it all. Seems like a couple of you think it's worthwhile, so I'll touch base with them. I do like the storage option they seem to have on the website. We'd like to get some tourism in as well.

Well, I didn't ask because I knew it all. Seems like a couple of you think it's worthwhile, so I'll touch base with them. I do like the storage option they seem to have on the website. We'd like to get some tourism in as well.
Will you please post back with your findings. I would like to know what you find out for future reference.... But I am too lazy to do it myself.

Will you please post back with your findings. I would like to know what you find out for future reference.... But I am too lazy to do it myself.
Yup. Knowledge is power.

They merely want to know that the firearm you are bringing has a generally accepted purpose; hunting.

A letter from the manufacturer to that effect will suffice.

It appears Wikipedia thinks its a hunting tool.

Useage:
The .475 Linebaugh is primarily intended for hunting big game or as a backup when confronting dangerous animals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.475_Linebaugh

Hello

I have Ruger vaquero Bisley 45c 5,5"bbl with me when hunting in SA. Have applied temporary permits via PH, no questions about gun. When arriving to Or Tambo, police checks number of gun and compares to permit. Done it six times starting 2013 to this May, no problems with firearms. Every time had one or two rifles too. Ammo: I use lead fp bullets, no hp allowed for short guns. John Linebaugh has good recipies for lead bullets.

My 2c
TimoJ

Hello

I have Ruger vaquero Bisley 45c 5,5"bbl with me when hunting in SA. Have applied temporary permits via PH, no questions about gun. When arriving to Or Tambo, police checks number of gun and compares to permit. Done it six times starting 2013 to this May, no problems with firearms. Every time had one or two rifles too. Ammo: I use lead fp bullets, no hp allowed for short guns. John Linebaugh has good recipies for lead bullets.

My 2c
TimoJ
Yup. I've traded notes with John over the years. Always amazed me he answered the calls himself, and made time for talking about reloading and field results.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idahocougs89

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!