Handgun Hunting Impala

observe

Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
SAHGCA [Skilled Hunter qualified-Cum Laude], Handgun Hunters Association of SA, SAGA, Primitive hunting [Spear @ Bow]
Hunted
R.S.A,Namibia,Venda
I went on a nostalgic and very unique hunting trip this last week...
I was lucky enough to bag yet another good Impala Ram with my .357 mag. at +_ 20 m
I used an 158 gr round.
Ambush method ,and I waited for 3 days [a total of 22 hours] quietly camouflaged in one spot before the perfect opportunity arises.
I saw many Impala during this time, but they were either too far away for my liking, or did not present a clear shot.
Eventually, on day 3 at around 11.00 , this lone Impala Ram gave me an ideal shot in the heart/lung area.
I am very happy for this successful hunt , and in this way as well.

224978028_542976500449574_4416224139823179288_n.png

What made this hunt even more epic, was that us three best friends, from gr 1 at Laerskool Tuinplaas ,to Hoerskool Nylstroom in Limpopo are still together now even in retirement 58 years later!
One is a retired Sending Predikant [ Pastor] , one a successful Boer [Farmer] and one a retired School Principal.
Through all these years we have hunted together, and are blessed to be able to still do it now that the years are coming along!

IMG_2062.JPG

It is really a huge privilege to have stayed best friends from our youth till now!
Ethical Hunting is one of the glue components that kept us together!

And one sunset these Gemsbok [that I have no intention of hunting] and I walked calmly in and out of each others lives as if were also respected old friends!

IMG_2045.JPG

Back at camp we treated ourselves one cold evening to Braaivleis Steaks and Chips--a kings'' meal!

223120440_1433820856996295_5609792175021326543_n.jpg

Next year,if we are still alive and able, we will do it all over again!

IMG_2163.JPG

Life is good!

Last edited:
Congrats, beautiful memories.

:cool:...the three old trees with a young Baobab tree....:LOL:

225817341_596774628149510_3739876083014939915_n.jpg

I went on a nostalgic and very unique hunting trip this last week...
I was lucky enough to bag yet another good Impala Ram with my .357 mag. at +_ 20 m
I used an 158 gr round.
Ambush method ,and I waited for 3 days [a total of 22 hours] quietly camouflaged in one spot before the perfect opportunity arises.
I saw many Impala during this time, but they were either too far away for my liking, or did not present a clear shot.
Eventually, on day 3 at around 11.00 , this lone Impala Ram gave me an ideal shot in the heart/lung area.
I am very happy for this successful hunt , and in this way as well.

View attachment 415072

What made this hunt even more epic, was that us three best friends, from gr 1 at Laerskool Tuinplaas ,to Hoerskool Nylstroom in Limpopo are still together now even in retirement 58 years later!
One is a retired Sending Predikant [ Pastor] , one a successful Boer [Farmer] and one a retired School Principal.
Through all these years we have hunted together, and are blessed to be able to still do it now that the years are coming along!

View attachment 415082
It is really a huge privilege to have stayed best friends from our youth till now!
Ethical Hunting is one of the glue components that kept us together!

And one sunset these Gemsbok [that I have no intention of hunting] and I walked calmly in and out of each others lives as if were also respected old friends!

View attachment 415085

Back at camp we treated ourselves one cold evening to Braaivleis Steaks and Chips--a kings'' meal!

View attachment 415086

Next year,if we are still alive and able, we will do it all over again!

View attachment 415087

Life is good!
@observe
A man can't ask for better than 3 lifelong friends that share the same interest and each other's company.
May you have may more year hunting together.
Bob

Nice trophy and great hunt!
@Primal
My PH decided to have a stir with the other hunters in camp and had them convinced that I shot an oryx with his 9mm handgun by lying in wait behind a water trough. We even to took a photo to prove it. Unfortunately it all came undone over a few drinks and the gig was up.
Bob.
IMG_20190903_181955.jpg

@Primal
My PH decided to have a stir with the other hunters in camp and had them convinced that I shot an oryx with his 9mm handgun by lying in wait behind a water trough. We even to took a photo to prove it. Unfortunately it all came undone over a few drinks and the gig was up.
Bob.
View attachment 416434
Ha ha ha! You should have stuck to the Shirley Temple and they still would be talking about it to this day!

I've taken deer with my recurve bow from short yardage while lying in ambush along heavily used game trails. Ambush hunting is long periods of stillness with no action that suddenly becomes action packed. It's not for everyone, but it sure can produce results, especially with a weapon of limitations.

P.S. I enjoy the 35 Whelen chats you have on here.

Ha ha ha! You should have stuck to the Shirley Temple and they still would be talking about it to this day!

I've taken deer with my recurve bow from short yardage while lying in ambush along heavily used game trails. Ambush hunting is long periods of stillness with no action that suddenly becomes action packed. It's not for everyone, but it sure can produce results, especially with a weapon of limitations.

P.S. I enjoy the 35 Whelen chats you have on here.
@Primal
Thank you kind sir.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg