H&H Royal .375 Flanged Nitro Mag For Elephant

Congratulations.

Would you mind sharing photos of your H&H?

No deal yet. I was negotiating for someone. He's since been distracted by a Wesley Richards drop lock.

I spent good deal of time at DSC negotiating the purchase of a 1922 H&H Royal in 500/465. That was a $65,000 gun. What exactly do you believe this pre war Royal is worth on the open market?

I found one in the N.Y. H&H showroom, same year as yours, but it had already sold and didn't list the price.
Julia Inc. Auctions will auction off the the Elmer Keith estate collection next week. According to the pics on the site, that old cowboy had a fortune in high end guns and rifles. One of his rifles is a H&H Royal in 500/465, but it didn't give a year. Maybe after the auction, you can find out what "somebody" paid for this Royal.

A 1924 model of your rifle is $69.000 at H&H New York. A 2000 model with more fancy engraving is $210,000.

Last edited:
I found one in the N.Y. H&H showroom, same year as yours, but it had already sold and didn't list the price.
Julia Inc. Auctions will auction off the the Elmer Keith estate collection next week. According to the pics on the site, that old cowboy had a fortune in high end guns and rifles. One of his rifles is a H&H Royal in 500/465, but it didn't give a year. Maybe after the auction, you can find out what "somebody" paid for this Royal.

There's a '24 on there as well. Listed at $69k and priced to me for a bit less. No original case however.

The Keith rifle is a 1921 with case. Julia's estimate is 50k to 80k. Will be interesting.

Last edited:
Post pics if you have a chance. I am always interested in things I can't have!!!!!

Lots of good thoughts here and I'll try and address them all in one post. The sell, then go option has me leery, for two reasons. One, I'm not sure I could stomach seeing this go to auction just yet, and I'm enjoying it immensely, it would be a lot easier to stomach considering an exchange and using it one last time on the biggest hunt I'll ever undertake. Second, I'm leery to send many tens of thousands overseas again, even though I know from previous hunts the majority are a very good lot. Thirdly, the accounting is easier without selling, and I view the Royal as more valuable than cash. Surprisingly several first contact proposals have been floated, and it's encouraging, members here have done me a great favour and shared it with those they know as well. I'd rather hold this Royal and see what might be possible, as if nothing is hammered out, well not the end of the world I still have her and I can be happy. And if something connects, wonderful, it would be a good deal for the outfitter as they'd gain a Royal for a cost far lower than typically possible with their profit considered and I'm willing to work to make a trip happen. I'd like to think I'm alright company and a amiable sort so we'd have a damn good time doing it, too. I'd rather see her go to a new friend and have the experience of a lifetime using a Royal on Elephant or other dangerous game, and that is something beautiful I cannot put a price on. Selling and taking my Ruger RSM that I Cape Buffalo hunted with in Zim on my first African hunt, while still an incredible experience, wouldn't provide the package experience toting the Royal one last time could for me.

So while auctioning and booking in numbers likely looks better, in experience I'd be giving something serious up. Knowing the Royal is doing what it is built for and living in Africa (or at least visiting often with the new owner) would make me very happy, especially after having used it on my ultimate hunt. Having hopefully met those people and shared an experience, which may not happen I realize due to the nature of outfitting and PH'ing and they are not the same person often, would be icing on the cake. And if nothing comes together, well I still consider myself lucky with the Royal in my lap and some very interesting considering done. I appreciate all the responses folks, talk soon!

Lots of good thoughts here and I'll try and address them all in one post. The sell, then go option has me leery, for two reasons. One, I'm not sure I could stomach seeing this go to auction just yet, and I'm enjoying it immensely, it would be a lot easier to stomach considering an exchange and using it one last time on the biggest hunt I'll ever undertake. Second, I'm leery to send many tens of thousands overseas again, even though I know from previous hunts the majority are a very good lot. Thirdly, the accounting is easier without selling, and I view the Royal as more valuable than cash. Surprisingly several first contact proposals have been floated, and it's encouraging, members here have done me a great favour and shared it with those they know as well. I'd rather hold this Royal and see what might be possible, as if nothing is hammered out, well not the end of the world I still have her and I can be happy. And if something connects, wonderful, it would be a good deal for the outfitter as they'd gain a Royal for a cost far lower than typically possible with their profit considered and I'm willing to work to make a trip happen. I'd like to think I'm alright company and a amiable sort so we'd have a damn good time doing it, too. I'd rather see her go to a new friend and have the experience of a lifetime using a Royal on Elephant or other dangerous game, and that is something beautiful I cannot put a price on. Selling and taking my Ruger RSM that I Cape Buffalo hunted with in Zim on my first African hunt, while still an incredible experience, wouldn't provide the package experience toting the Royal one last time could for me.

So while auctioning and booking in numbers likely looks better, in experience I'd be giving something serious up. Knowing the Royal is doing what it is built for and living in Africa (or at least visiting often with the new owner) would make me very happy, especially after having used it on my ultimate hunt. Having hopefully met those people and shared an experience, which may not happen I realize due to the nature of outfitting and PH'ing and they are not the same person often, would be icing on the cake. And if nothing comes together, well I still consider myself lucky with the Royal in my lap and some very interesting considering done. I appreciate all the responses folks, talk soon!

An excellent post Ardent. Even though I don't own any rifles or otherwise of the financial or sentimental value of your Royal, I understand your post completely. If I owned a sxs like that I would probably starve to death before I would sell it! Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Ardent, after reading our post, I sure do feel for you. I am going to give your post some serious thought, I only get 3 elephant on quota a season in Mozambique, but might be able to help.

Mike, you know us PH's/outfitters, we would swap all our animals for rifles if we could, but it takes some serious $$$ to run a concession in these remote areas. But this is one rifle that has me thinking. Ardent, would have a fantastic elephant hunt, 690 000 acres, with not a single fence in hundreds of miles. Have a good chance at 70 plus pounder and definitely a go for sable and a few other animals.

The last elephant we took 2014, took on day 5.

DSC04909.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
thumb_4369917365555-2013-11-04.jpg
Same client with his 2013 elephant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
febixix695

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois