H&H buyers guide

What do you like about the H&H that puts it above the Purdey for you?

There is nothing to choose between them on fit and finish. Both are the pinnacle of gun making. IMO there is no weapon in the world finer than a London Best game gun. The difference for me is in the springs. I was shooting single gun, reasonably high volume, driven days. I could not get used to the Purdey self opener. To me the Royal was faster and smoother when reloading under pressure. It could be that you would find the Purdey better, but for me it was the Royal every time.

I have only shot a two gun day once. This would level the tables between the two for me. The pace of effective fire you can achieve with two guns and a loader is unbelievable. A shooter with a Benelli w extended magazine tube would be left crying in the dust.

I wish you guys would stop asking me about these guns. A little more whiskey and I may do something really stupid.

And @WAB I don't follow current production of London makers (way beyond my financial thrift to buy new) but is anyone making a gun in England right now? Rumor had it that A&S in Italy was making the actions in the white for one of the big guys, can't remember if it was Purdey or Holland. This has been happening for a long while, I looked at one in the white a while ago from Italy. I would think that a reasonable premium to a best brand is warranted if lock and barrels are made in England versus engraved, fit, finished, and stocked in England from foreign assemblies. No idea if any of the big guys are still insourced.
Perugini & Visini do some of the Purdey actions and possibly some barrel sets too, I believe they’re proofed in London.

A&S from very distant memory had some involvement with Rigby in the past, but that would be well before current ownership and maybe even before the Paso Robles debacle.

Anderson Wheeler doubles are made by Verney-Carron. I don’t know about any other products. They made a good step having one in a James Bond movie. Product Placement works!

@Excessexpress thank you for correcting the record. I was thinking of perugini & visini.

whwt of McKay Brown guns? Imported actions?
I thought he was retiring and winding it up? Either way I don’t think he outsourced to Italy. Happy to be wrong though, they’re great guns!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaniaMorfo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!