AH veteran
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Ray,

I am new to the site and am looking for some gunsmithing thoughts. I have an o/u Renato Gamba in .375 that has small cracks where the receiver meets the stock. I am not sure if they need fixing or the stock replacing. Do you know of someone who could look at this for me and do the work?

Second, I have a Merkel .470 that I would really like to put a scope on but it doesnt have rails or anything. Any ideas if it is possible to scope this gun and who would do it?

Finally, I have a winchester model 70 that has been on many trips to africa with me and has been my workhorse gun. I love the gun but the wood is very boring. Do you know of anyone who could upgrade the stock adn customize the gun a bit for me. This is the gun from which most of my great stories were made and I would like to give it an upgrade.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts. If these items are not within your scope I apologize.

Assuming you don't mind a reply from someone else, for wood repair such as you describe, Kieth Kearcher in Bend, OR (google him for his website) is superb, reasonably priced, and miracle of miracles, quick.

The best man in the country to install bases and rings on a German double rifle is J.J. Peradeau at Champlin Arms in Enid, OK. He is exceptional with claw bases and rings.

As I am sure you are aware, you can spend as much as you can imagine on a new stock. I recently had one done by Accurate Innovations (again google their website). Superb quality, innovative bedding, and a lot of options for your model 70 at reasonable cost.

Thanks. I will follow up those leads. This is the second time that JJ in Enid Ok was recomended in the few weeks so he must be the go to guy for the Merkel. I am going to try and find him and ship the gun out. I see fine but have found I do not have the confidence I need with iron sights and I really dont need one more factor of uncertainty in the equation.

Have the same issues with my 55+ year old eyes. Nice thing about claw mounts is that you can mount and dismount the scope with no loss of zero. Use the scope to wack that bull and then pull it off for follow-up.

You'll enjoy talking to JJ. Finest compliment that I can pay him is that he talked me out of one project. He has probably built me four or five sets of rings for existing claw bases over the years and the work is always perfect. You can reach him at 580 237 7388 or info@champlinarms.com.

Claw mounts are not cheap, but then again that is a very fine rifle.

Rastaman,
Sorry for the late reply but I have been off the sight for awhile on business..

I suspect your rifle could be glassed and repaired but would need to look at it to be sure..A new stock would be pretty expensive at about $2000 plus the cost of wood from a custom stock maker, and most charge double for a double rifle for some reason known only to them! :)

A number of good gunsmith can put some scope mounts on your double. I recommend the following:

Joseph Lee LeBias, L & L Enterprises
702-841-3069
5775 Old US Hwy 395 south
Carson City, Nv. 89704
My favorite double rifle gunsmith. He makes and hand fits some real nice detachable claw mounts. They can also be adjusted as they wear and thats a big plus..Last I checked they were running about $350.

David Yale
Colorado
970-874-1088
Also one of my favorites and his stock work is excellent and his wife Kathy can put a magnificent dark blood red Alkanet finish on one..

Both are very good and you have JJs number from a previous post.

As to your model 70, I would recommend you leave it as is, all those scars and marks bring back good memories to you, and it has the mark of a hunter, such things are as important as a pretty finish..

However, there are a number of good smiths out there that can fix you up..Dennis Olson, 500 1st St., Plains, Mt. 59859, 406-826-3790 does excellent work and he is not expensive. He does excellent blueing and could refinish or make you a new stock..I don't know what he charges for a new stock..I charge $2500 plus wood and parts and I am not one of the more expensive stock makers.

A really nice quarter sawn Turkish or Russian walnut exhibition blank today will run you at least $600 to $700. and the sky is the limit on this wood, depending on who you buy it from, so shop carefully.

The other option is get a decent English Walnut out of Calif. that is a simi finished blank for about $300 or so,from one of the several gun whores that sell this stuff like American walnut INc., and have a stock maker inlet it, glass bed it, and finish and checker it. This would run your about $1000 in labor, checkering, swivels and recoil pad around my place.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck and good hunting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.