Guns and ammo in stock!

Oh my god.... this is an Africa hunting forum.... what are you talking about?

Is it really that bad in the USA.....?

:unsure:

HWL
Sadly, yes... it really is that bad..

guns are readily available for purchase.. but the selection is much smaller than normal..

ammunition and reloading components however are almost impossible to find in any caliber.. and when you do find ammunition or reloading components, they are typically 200-400% more expensive than they were just 1 year ago..

We had snow like that last week but mostly gone now and nice weather to be outdoors. I grew up with a 760- wicked air rifle! When I could afford pellets I felt like I was a real hunter. Then a Benjamin, then a .22-man that was the big time!
We got 8.5”, but the roads are pretty good now. I thought I might go to the local Sportsman’s Warehouse and gaze at the empty ammo shelves? Yep, the .22 pellet guns were the epitome of boyhood shooting. I had a Crosman semi auto .22 pistol at one time. It used to jam a lot, but I wish I still had it. After I left home, I came back a few years later but couldn’t find it. I’m sure my mom through it in the trash although she said she didn’t. Pretty sad that we’re discussing air guns on this site, but unless you can find real ammo on line for a ridiculous mark up in price or find overpriced reloading components on line, this is a welcome diversion?

This mess started at least here in Arkansas at the start of the Pandemic last early March. Locals started buying up every common round and weapon they could afford. This includes many first time shooters. By the end of summer the rush to buy guns and ammo moved into the less common calibers. Fortunately for my son and me, (he reloads, I don't) we started stocking up during the shortage of .22 rounds in 2013. And again when Hillary was running for Pres. At this point we are set with everything from .22 rounds to .416 Rigby, probably for the rest of my life, although not his. If anything we are probably short of shotgun rounds. since we don't shoot those very often.

Bob, I was able to get my hands on some 6.5 160 Gr. Woodleighs a while back. They were Plan B when I couldn't find any 156 Gr. Norma Oryx.
P.S. I've got three 8 Lb. Kegs of H4350 / AR 2209 and a bunch of one pounders sitting on the shelf. If memory serves me correctly I paid $168.00 for the 8 Lb. kegs. Back in the '90(s) there was a primer shortage and I almost had to forgo shooting the National Matches because of it. I vowed not to let that happen ever again.

Is there any good explanation as to why this happens? I mean that I guess it is known by "all" that every election year there will be an increased demand for ammo and reloading components. Or at least that is how I've perceived it from across the water.

So why aren't the manufacturers prepared for it? I can somewhat understand that firearms and to an extent gunpowder could be harder/more expensive to stockpile while waiting for the coming surge in demand. But bullets, primers and brass are relatively cheap to make, don't take up much space and have a long shelf-life.

Or are the margins in the business so slim that companies cannot afford to increase production before there is an actual shortage/demand?

Perhaps the manufacturers are secretly happy that this happens from time to time so that they can get rid of old (impopular) stock at inflated prices?
the addition of about 10 million new gun owners as a result of all the rioting last year is the main cause of it. the way I figure it, that's about 2-5 billion additional rounds of ammo consumed last year over prior year(s).

I don't know how this gets better without additional production capacity, but with the current administration and congress, who in their right mind would risk that kind of capital?

Bob, I was able to get my hands on some 6.5 160 Gr. Woodleighs a while back. They were Plan B when I couldn't find any 156 Gr. Norma Oryx.
P.S. I've got three 8 Lb. Kegs of H4350 / AR 2209 and a bunch of one pounders sitting on the shelf. If memory serves me correctly I paid $168.00 for the 8 Lb. kegs. Back in the '90(s) there was a primer shortage and I almost had to forgo shooting the National Matches because of it. I vowed not to let that happen ever again.
I bought Woodleighs about 18 months ago, still have one box left. Also, just took delivery on a box of 155 gr Lapua Megas. Haven't loaded them yet because I'm getting low on H4350

As much as I hate Walmart they are the only place within at least a hundred miles of me that doesn't gouge when they get ammo. And they do get stuff in every couple days if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time.
I just picked up 8 boxes of 20 Guage for $60 otd.
A couple boxes for everyone in my family so we're good.
Last week I got 4 boxes 17hmr. And 3 boxes 308.
All at normal retail
I've given up online for the moment as nearly everything is inflated 400%

@Shootist43
Don't you hate it when you gave plenty of powder and projectiles but very few primers.
I'm the same as you keep a good supply of everything after our last shortage a few years back.
When I was looking for Hogdon superformance I ended up paying 100 dollars a pound because they were not going to import it any more. Lucky I have 6 pounds of it that I reserve for hunting only.
Bob

The huge increase in new gun owners/ammo buyers, coupled with the largest ammunition manufacturer (Remington) going bankrupt, created the perfect storm for an ammo and components shortage. With Remington now back in production, not sure if they are at full capacity yet, the strain on the system should start to ease a little. None of the manufacturers are going to build new plants because of this shortage. That would not be a prudent business move. But they are running 24/7 in the existing facilities to try and meet as much of the demand as possible.
It will take awhile to get back to some semblance of normal. If the new administration starts really pushing their stupidity, it will take a long time to get back to normal.
In the meantime, I have seen good people willing to trade/sell their surplus without gouging their fellow shooters. Forums like this have been good in that regard. Suppliers are filling orders as fast as they can. Took 4 weeks, but I did receive an order of 45-70 brass a couple weeks ago. I'm trading one of my son's friends some small & large pistol primers for some large rifle magnum; win-win for both of us.
Patience. This too shall pass.

the addition of about 10 million new gun owners as a result of all the rioting last year is the main cause of it. the way I figure it, that's about 2-5 billion additional rounds of ammo consumed last year over prior year(s).

I don't know how this gets better without additional production capacity, but with the current administration and congress, who in their right mind would risk that kind of capital?
You make a very good point with your last sentence. I know the ammo manufacturers are running 24/7, but probably with some Covid restriction nonsense. I can’t see them taking a risk and building more ammo factories at this point in time?

What the hell is the name of your president?

Easy to remember, just keep a BIDET in mind.

The vice pres is also easy since she prefers the African pronunciation of her name, It's pronounced same as Kampala, but without the P.

Some of the reps are equally easy:

You have Adam Shiff-er-brains
and
Eric Swallow-well

A Senator was Washington State is Marie Cant-do anything-well

Interesting thing is they are all DemonRats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross