Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Hunted
South Africa, Argentina, Romania, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
I have several projects on the burner and have one in particular that I would like input on. When I first bought this blank, my intention was to attach it to a 280 Ackley Improved that I have assembled the parts for. I have recently considered attaching it to a .375 that I have yet to buy. I and finally I have a .270 Win that I do 90% of my hunting with. This gun does need a new stock. With all that said, should I attach this blank to a gun I will only use a handful of times (.375) or should I attach it to a gun that I will always use (.270) or on the originally intended 280 AI.

The actual layout of the pattern is not final, but will be determined by the stock maker.
20190223_094127_HDR.jpg
20190223_094148_HDR.jpg
20190223_094415_HDR.jpg
20190223_094446_HDR.jpg

Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.
Randy

I would personally use it for the 270 you use on a regular basis. I have a T/C Encore in 30-06 that is my go to and I've done the same and never regretted it.

Put it on the 270!

Here is the original piece of wood I was going to restock the 270 with. The fiddleback is very nice but is not picking up in the photographs.

20190223_110746_HDR.jpg
20190223_110929_HDR.jpg

This is the same walnut blank along with the original 270 stock. This pic picks up the figure a bit better.
DSCN0188.JPG

My wife has cast her vote to place the Tiger Myrtlewood on EmmyLou (the .270). She says that Emmy is too special not to get the nicest dress!

2nd blank would be my pick for the 375, 1st one has the 270 written all over it. Both very nice blanks. Look forward to seeing the end product whichever way you end up going.

Beautiful wood and another vote for the .270. Ebony or rosewood foretip and grip cap to top it off.

Was the 280 AI destined for proper use? If so, I would refinish the 270 stock and use the new blank on the 280 AI. The old stock may have a ton of memories in it. Cleaned up may give it a new lease on life.

I appreciate the input!

Here's an example of a .270 with the rosewood. Stock work done by a gentleman in PA. Wood from Hearne's Hardwoods.

P1060233.JPG
P1060234.JPG
P1060237.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think with the very distinct black streaking, ebony would just pop on the myrtle blank. I will have Chris (Cook's Woods) keep his eyes out for a piece of ebony.

The rosewood does look nice... I believe Chris has that as well.

I like the comb on that stock! it is similar to how the pattern I am making for the 270, though less pronounced.

I think with the very distinct black streaking, ebony would just pop on the myrtle blank. I will have Chris (Cook's Woods) keep his eyes out for a piece of ebony.

The rosewood does look nice... I believe Chris has that as well.

I like the comb on that stock! it is similar to how the pattern I am making for the 270, though less pronounced.
There is a woodworking shop in the next town over that always has pieces of ebony for sale in there exotic woods collection. They are proud of their wood, but I could look at it next time I am over there if you want.

Thanks Eric, but I have an exotic woods place just a few minutes away. I am fortunate he is here, but yet every time I go in there I come out with something that will need carving or turning. It's kind of a double-edged sword!

Thanks Eric, but I have an exotic woods place just a few minutes away. I am fortunate he is here, but yet every time I go in there I come out with something that will need carving or turning. It's kind of a double-edged sword!
I have the same problem.

Those are some beautiful pieces of wood.
I have a piece of leadwood I brought back from my second trip. I wanted a .375 for a buffalo hunt, but was scared of the recoil. I was going to have a stock made out of it.
Then I bought a .375
Recoil is easy one it. So now I have a 3.5x7x30” 40 lb piece of leadwood I need to do something with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg