Gun Room & Trophy Room Done

That’s my situation as well….I was considering using steel rather than straps. It’s a bitch to cut thru.
And a real bitch to buy;) Depending upon what thickness and type.

For more than a year we have been working on our guest house/trophy room/gentlemen's club/ and now gun room. We are finished! At least till the next piece of preserved fauna appears.

The gun room was a real challenge. The guest house is a carriage house design sitting above the carport. So, pouring yards of reinforced concrete wasn't an option. Steel plate was also a concern due to total weight and the difficulty of constructing over it. With the advice of a security company, what we went with was the "Deadwood Jail" solution of building a steel cage - walls, ceiling, and floor. It won't stop a professional with a cherry picker, power tools, and a couple of hours of time (neither will my gun safe). But it will stop a couple of punks with thirty minutes and a crowbar. And hopefully, the security system will alert the sheriff before the pros are done.
full

full

I am really happy with the final product. I am no longer beating the hell out of fine rifles and guns trying to get them out of the safe, and I have a comfortable spot to clean them and enjoy them. And because it is adjacent to the trophy room, it makes looking over one or more an easy and fun thing when friends are out at the place.
full

full

And I think the design works well with the rest of the trophy room. I have posted pictures of it before, but it is now pretty much complete.
full

full

full

full

full
Stunning!!! I don’t think there are any of us on AH that are not envious!!!

The man has good taste!

Stunning room/space. Firearm collection looks fantastic.

Very tastefully executed @Red Leg.
I was wondering about the gun room itself, I suppose all the cabinets/wood work were custom done per your exact wishes. Did you have any specific considerations when designing the cabinets/furniture/table ? Specific minimum sizes, width’s or lengths? Doors, instead of drawer’s?

Very tastefully executed @Red Leg.
I was wondering about the gun room itself, I suppose all the cabinets/wood work were custom done per your exact wishes. Did you have any specific considerations when designing the cabinets/furniture/table ? Specific minimum sizes, width’s or lengths? Doors, instead of drawer’s?
So, yes, all the woodwork was to design. The one feature we carried throughout were the hardwood sunken panels. They define the gunroom, the bar, the supporting beam, and the light boxes. That served to tie everything together.

Absolutely beautiful rooms! Right down to the physical security for the gun room . Add to that a security system with some hidden cameras monitored by a central station along with a monitored fire/smoke detection and you can travel and sleep easy.
My background is electronic security and I have protected many families and beautiful collections.
May I paint my great room in that delightful green ? Thought I should ask first!

Last edited:
For more than a year we have been working on our guest house/trophy room/gentlemen's club/ and now gun room. We are finished! At least till the next piece of preserved fauna appears.

The gun room was a real challenge. The guest house is a carriage house design sitting above the carport. So, pouring yards of reinforced concrete wasn't an option. Steel plate was also a concern due to total weight and the difficulty of constructing over it. With the advice of a security company, what we went with was the "Deadwood Jail" solution of building a steel cage - walls, ceiling, and floor. It won't stop a professional with a cherry picker, power tools, and a couple of hours of time (neither will my gun safe). But it will stop a couple of punks with thirty minutes and a crowbar. And hopefully, the security system will alert the sheriff before the pros are done.
full

full

I am really happy with the final product. I am no longer beating the hell out of fine rifles and guns trying to get them out of the safe, and I have a comfortable spot to clean them and enjoy them. And because it is adjacent to the trophy room, it makes looking over one or more an easy and fun thing when friends are out at the place.
full

full

And I think the design works well with the rest of the trophy room. I have posted pictures of it before, but it is now pretty much complete.
full

full

full

full

full
That gun room is badass!

PERFECT,BEAUTIFUL !!!!!!!

I’ve been a huge fan of @Red Leg ’s tastes for many years. When my wife and I were planning our decor he was nice enough to send over pictures to a stranger on the Internet and we used that to inspire some of our spaces at our old home and our new one.

Living area should be comfortable, functional, and contain mementos of a family’s stories and experiences. A gun room or game room is no different, it tells a story. The story is better if its not a wall of dead heads as a shrine, but rather that it’s woven into the living space.

At least that’s what I think and it certainly trumps the monotony of 48 white tail heads in a row on a single wall with no room for seating or living.

For that reason, I proclaim @Red Leg ’s aesthetic to be the best I’ve ever seen, far surpassing those books of the “best trophy rooms in the world” that are just bizarre spaces of dead animals. (Is that all the people did, kill things, or did they experience things?)

A few humble attempts of my own that mimic his tastes.

This is our “club room”. It has first deer and other species on the walls from the kids. Art and mementos of travel. Ash trays and barware from the Stork club and the 21 room in NYC where my wife’s grandfather and Ruark were both members. A bar table from Bulawayo. Coasters from game taken in africa. Bottle openers from antlers of the kids deer. Booze from the places we’ve visited. Club seating reminscint of the shooting and golf clubs my wife grew up. A mid-grade Persian rug I saved up to buy when I was in my twenties. Certainly not the best trophies anyone has ever seen (I have some of those in storage collecting dust) but certainly a great place to sit and enjoy the fire with friends, a game of gin, and good friends.

0B5891D9-85E9-4055-A0C5-2A4B7CEE4117.jpeg

P.S (the piles of gun cases in the adjoining room are my incomplete office as we’re still moving in) Here’s the old office and gun library, a humble room with very little space but the same sources of inspiration.

Attachments

• C0326573-83F7-49AC-AD71-B2A290180578.jpeg
    16.4 MB · Views: 110
  • 77CBDD7D-1CB6-4689-A546-E39ACA7BDD94.jpeg
    15 MB · Views: 99
I’ve been a huge fan of @Red Leg ’s tastes for many years. When my wife and I were planning our decor he was nice enough to send over pictures to a stranger on the Internet and we used that to inspire some of our spaces at our old home and our new one.

Living area should be comfortable, functional, and contain mementos of a family’s stories and experiences. A gun room or game room is no different, it tells a story. The story is better if its not a wall of dead heads as a shrine, but rather that it’s woven into the living space.

At least that’s what I think and it certainly trumps the monotony of 48 white tail heads in a row on a single wall with no room for seating or living.

For that reason, I proclaim @Red Leg ’s aesthetic to be the best I’ve ever seen, far surpassing those books of the “best trophy rooms in the world” that are just bizarre spaces of dead animals. (Is that all the people did, kill things, or did they experience things?)

This is our “club room”. It has first deer and other species on the walls from the kids. Art and mementos of travel. Ash trays and barware from the Stork club and the 21 room in NYC where my wife’s grandfather and Ruark were both members. A bar table from Bulawayo. Coasters from game taken in africa. Bottle openers from antlers of the kids deer. Booze from the places we’ve visited. Club seating reminscint of the shooting and golf clubs my wife grew up. A mid-grade Persian rug I saved up to buy when I was in my twenties. Certainly not the best trophies anyone has ever seen (I have some of those in storage collecting dust) but certainly a great place to sit and enjoy the fire with friends, a game of gin, and good friends.

View attachment 518279

P.S (the piles of gun cases in the adjoining room are my incomplete office as we’re still moving in) Here’s the old office and gun library, a humble room with very little space but the same sources of inspiration.
Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do I see an AR with wood furniture on it? BEAUTIFUL set-up as well good sir!! I could stare at rooms like yours and @RedLegs all day!

View attachment 518279

Lovely Rook. Just lovely.

View attachment 518279

It appears you have learned well pilgrim...

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or do I see an AR with wood furniture on it? BEAUTIFUL set-up as well good sir!! I could stare at rooms like yours and @RedLegs all day!

Yes. A bit of a lark. I have zero interest in tactical guns and would never have owned one had our president not told me I ought not to own one. Stuck between building one out of spite and loathing how they look, I built a nice feathercrotch walnut stock set for one to the ridicule of my friends. I tried to impart a bit of soul into a rather soulless gun, you be the judge on whether it was an utter waste of time or not.

Yes. A bit of a lark. I have zero interest in tactical guns and would never have owned one had our president not told me I ought not to own one. Stuck between building one out of spite and loathing how they look, I built a nice feathercrotch walnut stock set for one to the ridicule of my friends. I tried to impart a bit of soul into a rather soulless gun, you be the judge on whether it was an utter waste of time or not.
Well, good sir.. I approve!! I've never been a fan boy of AR's either.. I'd much rather have a beautiful double (which I can't afford) or a beautiful bolt action with a nice wood stock and some nice engraving..

View attachment 518279

Very nice @rookhawk !

Ill be trying to emulate some of yours and @Red Leg ‘s suggestions for the design of my own office.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross