Gun Room & Trophy Room Done

That is really hard to do. Over the years, I pretty much have traded away those that I don't love. I 'll give you two sets of five - one based on quality of design, feel, etc, and a second set based on the memories they evoke. That said, they are pretty much interchangeable, so maybe I am just looking for an excuse not to whittle down to 5. (n)

1) Blaser R8
2) Rigby Highland Stalker
3) Circa 1910 William Evans 12 Bore Paradox
4) William Cashmore 12 Bore Nitro (it has also won a lot of matches in the pigeon ring and dropped a lot of pheasants)
5) James MacNaughton 12 Bore game gun (broken a lot of clays and also dropped a lot of pheasants)

Favorite hunting memories

1) Blaser R8 (Yes, both lists)
2) Blaser S2
3) Ruger No. 1 .270
4) Merkel KR-1 .270
5) Connecticut Shotgun 20 bore "Inverness" (favorite quail and dove gun)

I was looking in my safes yesterday and had that same thought, which are my favorites and why. That's why I asked you the same question.

Thanks for the reply, both are nice lists. What calibers are the Blasers?

The R8 has .375, .300 Win Mag, 6.5x55, and 257 Wby barrels and has seen a lot of use over the last four or five years.

The S2 has 500/450, .375, and 30-06 barrels. The latter two have been used in Mozambique, and the ‘06 also here in Texas for pigs.

Oh envy! I should sell a bunch of my guns and just get an R8 with a 375 H&H, 30-06 or 300 WM and 22-250 or 243! Man that would simplify my life!
One stock, 3 cartridges to reload and 3 scopes! I could probably get more done!(n):D

That’s fantastic! I’ve never seen the steel cage idea - clever.

your mix of European mounts and a few shoulder mounts is excellent. Very tasteful and as was said before, elegant. A pleasant looking space to spend some time.

910 William Evans 12 Bore Paradox

@Red Leg
Have you hunted with paradox gun? How to find ammo? And if hunted, what have you hunted with it?
Thanks!

Sorry, for curiosity, but today this is rare gun, i just had to ask.

@Red Leg
Have you hunted with paradox gun? How to find ammo? And if hunted, what have you hunted with it?
Thanks!

Sorry, for curiosity, but today this is rare gun, i just had to ask.
Yes!

In point of fact, I took it to Africa with me 10 years ago and rolled two warthog for leopard bait and shot a pile of sand grouse from the same waterhole.

A good friend of mine, Tony Makris (he has a show called “Under Wild Skies”), had been playing with Paradox and Explora guns for a while with the help of Ross Seyfried. Ross probably knows more about guns of the Golden age of gun making than any other person on the planet. Using Ross’s loads, Tony has taken several Cape buffalo with various paradox guns for his show.

At a gun show in Northern VA, I had an opportunity to grab the Evans. I then sent it to Ross who was kind enough to work up a traditional load. The amazing gun will shoot a sub-four inch LRxLR on the sights at 100 meters. It also throws perfect improved cylinder patterns with no. 6 shot from each barrel. I also have a stash of the new Holland & Holland loads (they reintroduced the paradox in their Royal several years ago) that will shoot the same group at 50 yards.

The Evans is an amazing gun, still performing like new over hundred years after it left the shop.

Congrats! Thanks for reply! (y)

Oh envy! I should sell a bunch of my guns and just get an R8 with a 375 H&H, 30-06 or 300 WM and 22-250 or 243! Man that would simplify my life!
One stock, 3 cartridges to reload and 3 scopes! I could probably get more done!(n):D
Don’t stroke his Blaser ego,
Nice Digs by the way.
Hard work pays off,
And if this site wasn’t so addictive we would all get more done.
Anyway nice pics and a great idea.

Yes!

In point of fact, I took it to Africa with me 10 years ago and rolled two warthog for leopard bait and shot a pile of sand grouse from the same waterhole.

A good friend of mine, Tony Makris (he has a show called “Under Wild Skies”), had been playing with Paradox and Explora guns for a while with the help of Ross Seyfried. Ross probably knows more about guns of the Golden age of gun making than any other person on the planet. Using Ross’s loads, Tony has taken several Cape buffalo with various paradox guns for his show.

At a gun show in Northern VA, I had an opportunity to grab the Evans. I then sent it to Ross who was kind enough to work up a traditional load. The amazing gun will shoot a sub-four inch LRxLR on the sights at 100 meters. It also throws perfect improved cylinder patterns with no. 6 shot from each barrel. I also have a stash of the new Holland & Holland loads (they reintroduced the paradox in their Royal several years ago) that will shoot the same group at 50 yards.

The Evans is an amazing gun, still performing like new over hundred years after it left the shop.
I really enjoy Under Wild Skies. It’s one of those programs that really “takes you there”.
I’d love to see your gun room someday as I have aspirations of doing the same.
Philip

Yes!

The wife and I thoroughly enjoy "Under Wild Skies" and Mr. Makris. Fantastic show, and he seems like the kind of person I would love to sit around a fire with a scotch and cigar, listening to stories.

The episodes on Rovos Rail and doing a bird hunting train were particularly delightful.

For more than a year we have been working on our guest house/trophy room/gentlemen's club/ and now gun room. We are finished! At least till the next piece of preserved fauna appears.

The gun room was a real challenge. The guest house is a carriage house design sitting above the carport. So, pouring yards of reinforced concrete wasn't an option. Steel plate was also a concern due to total weight and the difficulty of constructing over it. With the advice of a security company, what we went with was the "Deadwood Jail" solution of building a steel cage - walls, ceiling, and floor. It won't stop a professional with a cherry picker, power tools, and a couple of hours of time (neither will my gun safe). But it will stop a couple of punks with thirty minutes and a crowbar. And hopefully, the security system will alert the sheriff before the pros are done.
full

full

I am really happy with the final product. I am no longer beating the hell out of fine rifles and guns trying to get them out of the safe, and I have a comfortable spot to clean them and enjoy them. And because it is adjacent to the trophy room, it makes looking over one or more an easy and fun thing when friends are out at the place.
full

full

And I think the design works well with the rest of the trophy room. I have posted pictures of it before, but it is now pretty much complete.
full

full

full

full

full

My Friend,
You done it right! That is some fine woodwork and display of mounts. Very tasteful. Nice hardware collection, too.

I am very late to this thread but... Red Leg, my first thought was "WOW!" but then also "I'll never have anything like that!" Uncle Sam just doesn't pay that much for what I do for the federal government. (LOVE my job though) But then I thought... I once never thought I'd be able to afford Africa. Barring a setback, I am going in May, for the first time. So... who knows? Someday? (for an exquisite place for trophies and firearms) With that in mind I will offer a belated congratulations, and a thanks for the inspiration.

I am very late to this thread but... Red Leg, my first thought was "WOW!" but then also "I'll never have anything like that!" Uncle Sam just doesn't pay that much for what I do for the federal government. (LOVE my job though) But then I thought... I once never thought I'd be able to afford Africa. Barring a setback, I am going in May, for the first time. So... who knows? Someday? (for an exquisite place for trophies and firearms) With that in mind I will offer a belated congratulations, and a thanks for the inspiration.
I did Uncle Sam for 29 years. There is a life after that as well. Have a great hunt!(y)

Red Legs trophy and gun room, is the niceest gun room set up with taste and class, that I have seen so far on this forum! Fantastic!

@Red Leg let me revive this once again. Beautiful and perfect space you’ve created. I located this thread looking for my own inspiration.

I’m curious for your gun collection did you use any sort of fire system or deterrent?

Again, beautifully executed.…

Unfortunately no. We couldn't come up with a temperature solution that would matter if a building on columns burned.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RaymondNie

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.