Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
NRA life, DSC, SCI
Hunted
Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia, Austria
That’s my situation as well….I was considering using steel rather than straps. It’s a bitch to cut thru.
And a real bitch to buy;) Depending upon what thickness and type.

Rare Breed

Gold supporter
Silver supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
For more than a year we have been working on our guest house/trophy room/gentlemen's club/ and now gun room. We are finished! At least till the next piece of preserved fauna appears.

The gun room was a real challenge. The guest house is a carriage house design sitting above the carport. So, pouring yards of reinforced concrete wasn't an option. Steel plate was also a concern due to total weight and the difficulty of constructing over it. With the advice of a security company, what we went with was the "Deadwood Jail" solution of building a steel cage - walls, ceiling, and floor. It won't stop a professional with a cherry picker, power tools, and a couple of hours of time (neither will my gun safe). But it will stop a couple of punks with thirty minutes and a crowbar. And hopefully, the security system will alert the sheriff before the pros are done.
full

full

I am really happy with the final product. I am no longer beating the hell out of fine rifles and guns trying to get them out of the safe, and I have a comfortable spot to clean them and enjoy them. And because it is adjacent to the trophy room, it makes looking over one or more an easy and fun thing when friends are out at the place.
full

full

And I think the design works well with the rest of the trophy room. I have posted pictures of it before, but it is now pretty much complete.
full

full

full

full

full
Stunning!!! I don’t think there are any of us on AH that are not envious!!!

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
The man has good taste!

revturbo9967

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA- IL, WY, CO, NH, ME, Canada- NB
Stunning room/space. Firearm collection looks fantastic.

VertigoBE

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa
Very tastefully executed @Red Leg.
I was wondering about the gun room itself, I suppose all the cabinets/wood work were custom done per your exact wishes. Did you have any specific considerations when designing the cabinets/furniture/table ? Specific minimum sizes, width’s or lengths? Doors, instead of drawer’s?

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Zambia, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Very tastefully executed @Red Leg.
I was wondering about the gun room itself, I suppose all the cabinets/wood work were custom done per your exact wishes. Did you have any specific considerations when designing the cabinets/furniture/table ? Specific minimum sizes, width’s or lengths? Doors, instead of drawer’s?
So, yes, all the woodwork was to design. The one feature we carried throughout were the hardwood sunken panels. They define the gunroom, the bar, the supporting beam, and the light boxes. That served to tie everything together.

Rickmt

Silver supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SCI, NRA
Hunted
SA, NZ, Montana, Maryland , Georgia , Mississippi, USA
Absolutely beautiful rooms! Right down to the physical security for the gun room . Add to that a security system with some hidden cameras monitored by a central station along with a monitored fire/smoke detection and you can travel and sleep easy.
My background is electronic security and I have protected many families and beautiful collections.
May I paint my great room in that delightful green ? Thought I should ask first!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinkeobongda

Latest profile posts

Member: NRA Life

Hunt: Alaska-Canada-NM
geoff rath wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
G'day Bob,
Just had a yarn with A G, and he has filled me in on how much work he puts in to such developments, referencing QuikLoad, tightening tolerances, load development, range testing. He indicated that of you wish to contact him directly he can go into details far better than I.
If you wish , contact him directly, he has given the OK for me to pass that on.
Hunt: Alaska, Canada, Mexico and USA: particularly the Western states.
Hi,
Going through and old thread I see you mentioned having a William Douglas double in 470NE for sale. Just touching base to see if you sold the rifle, or if it was still for sale?
Regards,
Chris
(Wollongong, NSW)
Hi Chris
Yes, I still have it
Cheers
Steve
Erin Lockwood wrote on Laurine88's profile.
Hi again do you think you could message me your email or some other way to contact you, I've been having error messages trying to send messages via private conversations to you since last night, sorry!