Gun Fight at OR Tambo 2 dead, 7 injured

Fred Gunner

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Two men died and seven others were injured during a robbery at OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday.
It is believed the robbery had taken place in the cargo section outside the airport.
ER24 were on the scene and transported the injured to hospital under the supervision of the police.

Warning these videos may be disturbing viewer discretion is strongly advised:

https://zululandobserver.co.za/lnn/1140519/video-two-shot-and-killed-in-alleged-robbery-at-or-tambo

https://www.news24.com/news24/south...d-during-alleged-robbery-at-or-tambo-20200718

EdN0etVX0AAx27I.jpg

She said at about 12:30pm a group of suspects entered the cargo section and held the staff at gunpoint at one of the warehouses.

“The manager of the warehouse noticed employees lying on the floor and immediately notified the police and airport security. On arrival at the scene, the police and airport security chased the suspects’ truck and bakkie which had just left the warehouse,” Muridili told the EXPRESS.

“A high-speed chase and shootout resulted. Subsequently, seven suspects were arrested, four of them with gunshot wounds while two more suspects were shot and killed. A civilian in the vicinity sustained a gunshot wound apparently by a stray bullet.”

Muridili said the police, when searching the suspects’ truck, recovered the stolen personal protective equipment (masks) as well as three crates containing cellphones.

The arrested suspects will be appearing at the Kempton Park Magistrates Court soon, facing charges of armed robbery.

"Nothing could be done for them, and they were declared dead. Seven other men were assessed and found to have sustained gunshot wounds, leaving them in moderate to serious conditions."

Dangerous place that airport!

Fred,
Please let me know the name of the Outfitter or PH so I can avoid them in the future.

Wow that's wild! They were stealing masks? I can understand the cell phones but why masks? They can have my mask cuz I'm about done with them lol
Due to the increasing COVID 19 issues here in South Africa masks have become big business and are worth a lot of money . Vehicles transporting masks have been hijacked too .
Crime is always a major issue here and the lock down with the impact on our economy is making it worse , currently we are having a lot of CIT attacks , home invasions , armed robberies , hijackings and general theft . June was also a very bad month for farm attacks with 56 attacks being recorded with 7 murders during these attacks .

It will be similar in the USA when the police are defunded, the courts abolished, and the prisons both emptied and abolished (I'm serious, look at BLM demands on their pages). That will effectively mean there is no consequence for ANY action. Wonder who will get there first, RSA or USA?........thanks for posting................FWB

It will be similar in the USA when the police are defunded, the courts abolished, and the prisons both emptied and abolished (I'm serious, look at BLM demands on their pages). That will effectively mean there is no consequence for ANY action. Wonder who will get there first, RSA or USA?........thanks for posting................FWB
Unfortunately I think we are a way ahead of the states regarding this issue .:(

Two men died and seven others were injured during a robbery at OR Tambo International Airport on Saturday.
It is believed the robbery had taken place in the cargo section outside the airport.
ER24 were on the scene and transported the injured to hospital under the supervision of the police.

Warning these videos may be disturbing viewer discretion is strongly advised:

https://zululandobserver.co.za/lnn/1140519/video-two-shot-and-killed-in-alleged-robbery-at-or-tambo

https://www.news24.com/news24/south...d-during-alleged-robbery-at-or-tambo-20200718

View attachment 358359

She said at about 12:30pm a group of suspects entered the cargo section and held the staff at gunpoint at one of the warehouses.

“The manager of the warehouse noticed employees lying on the floor and immediately notified the police and airport security. On arrival at the scene, the police and airport security chased the suspects’ truck and bakkie which had just left the warehouse,” Muridili told the EXPRESS.

“A high-speed chase and shootout resulted. Subsequently, seven suspects were arrested, four of them with gunshot wounds while two more suspects were shot and killed. A civilian in the vicinity sustained a gunshot wound apparently by a stray bullet.”

Muridili said the police, when searching the suspects’ truck, recovered the stolen personal protective equipment (masks) as well as three crates containing cellphones.

The arrested suspects will be appearing at the Kempton Park Magistrates Court soon, facing charges of armed robbery.

"Nothing could be done for them, and they were declared dead. Seven other men were assessed and found to have sustained gunshot wounds, leaving them in moderate to serious conditions."

I believe that the criminals were after the three crates of cellphones rather than the PPE equipment that was part of the load!
Well done to SAPS and the security company involved!

Last edited:
Unfortunately I think we are a way ahead of the states regarding this issue .:(

5 dead in hostage situation at South Africa church; 40 arrested
4 of the victims were found shot and burned to death in a car

Police and military who responded to reports of a shooting at the International Pentecostal Holiness Church headquarters in Zuurbekom near Johannesburg found four people “shot and burned to death in a car” and a security guard shot in another car.

It happened around 3 a.m. local time, according to reports. Police hostage negotiators were still on the scene hours later.

SA-police-service.jpeg

Khehla John Sitole, the National Commissioner of Police General, said the quick response by authorities averted even more destruction and death.
"I am certain that the speedy response by the joint security forces has averted what could have been a more severe blood bath," Sitole said in a statement Saturday. "It is rather unfortunate that such an incident takes place during a time when South Africa is being plagued by a deadly virus and violent crimes."

https://www.foxnews.com/world/dead-hostage-south-africa-church

June was also a very bad month for farm attacks with 56 attacks being recorded with 7 murders during these attacks .

Paul is there a pattern to farm attacks in SA? such as the location or the types of farms? Have Game/hunting farms been targeted?

Farm murders surge in S. Africa amid pandemic: http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2020-07/05/c_139189209.htm

Falklands War Hero and ‘Dagga’ Activist Killed on Smallholding in South Africa: https://www.sapeople.com/2020/07/06...ivist-killed-on-smallholding-in-south-africa/

SA Farm Murders are ‘National Emergency’ Says DA, Calls for Urgent Parliamentary Debate: https://www.sapeople.com/2020/06/25...da-and-calls-for-urgent-parliamentary-debate/

In South Africa, one of the countries that have the highest crime rate in the world, the rise in farm murders has become a focus of attention.
There were 552 farm attacks in 2019 as opposed to 433 in 2018, an increase of 27 percent. Almost 1,000 people were victims of these 552 attacks.

Just as well we didn't knew...
I came by repatriation flights via Dubai just hours before this above incident!
The police kept us for 3 hours waiting inside the overloaded taxis [from 5'30 evening] that took us and our luggage to the quarantine hotels , and one airport guard was just heard saying in passing that they are searching the surroundings.....??
The 30 x taxis with aeroplane repatriation passengers had to go through FOUR different roadblocks from the aeroplane till we exit the airport premisses, maybe a distance of only about 2-3 km ?
No illegal persons were found amongst the about 300 aeroplane repatriation passengers and they let us all eventually go through the fourth airport checkpoint at around 9;30 at night.
We were just annoyed that after a long nearly 9 hour international flight and then passport control at Johannesburg airport we had to wait for another 3 hours just sitting and waiting in a full taxi!
We were not aware of the background and thankfully we escaped harm on this one!
Picture taken by me inside our FULL taxi while waiting at one of the four checkpoints inside the Johannesburg airport.

109341852_915347625597830_1731548678738764856_n.jpg

Hi Fred .

In answer to your question below is a link that gives a bit more information :

https://southafricatoday.net/south-...and-7-farm-murders-in-south-africa-june-2020/

Farm attacks in SA take place in all provinces and all types of farms are targeted . The Northern Cape has least attacks due to its sparse population and distance from major centers .
Hunting / game farms are targeted from time to time but there very few attacks on hunting farms when there are guests / hunters . The farm attackers are by nature cowards and choose vulnerable victims which hold a low risk for them , the risk is too great for them when there are too many people , especially if those people are armed .
A lot of the victims of farm attacks are the elderly , women and children , or couples / small families that are alone on a farm .
The attackers use the element of surprise and very often target the men victims immediately by beating , stabbing or shooting them to eliminate the greatest risk to themselves .
Although the victims of farm attacks are overwhelmingly of european descent the attackers will not hesitate to attack any person on a farm irrespective of colour . In quite a few of the attacks black / coloured farm laborers are attacked and on occasion some are murdered . There has also been a few attacks on black farmers over the last few years too .
In SA the police are regarded as having one of the most dangerous policing jobs in the world , but statistically a SA farmer is almost twice as likely to be murdered if compared to a policeman .
The good news is that hunting farms/reserves with staff and guests tend to be fairly safe .

Our PH almost cleared leather with his pistol at OR Tambo.

We had just met TJ and were headed to his truck as we entered the parking garage.
A guy started to follow us, my wife and I both noticed him.
We had set our bags down in an adjacent space to the bakkie.
The man approached, speaking in Afrkaans.
TJ immediately started yelling at him to get back as he grabbed his pistol.
My wife and I started looking behind us, in case he had friends coming at us from behind.
The man left quietly and that was the end of it.
We loaded up and left quickly.

It was a hell of a welcome to Africa.
As much as I hate to say it, I'm not surprised by this report given the current climate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,