AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, QDMA, NWTF
Hunted
USA(AL, CO, KS, MS, MO, NE, SD, TX, WY) Soutb Africa (Free State, Limpopo)
What oils and/or cleaning solvent do you all prefer to pack along that are allowed in a checked bag?

I take a bore snake and a little plastic bottle of oil. Also a few patches and a Jag. Most every PH I have hunted with has a rod available. You can also just get the throw away oil cloths and take one for each day. I’ve used them to wipe down the outside and then run them through the barrel a couple of times.

Barricade gun wipes, Zeiss lens wipes

Rem oil wipes, they are individually packaged wipes that are soaked in Rem Oil, and work well. I also take a dry rag for wipe down and a bore snake.

A little bottle of lens cleaning solution for your optics, small bottle of oil, bore snake, patch material. Took a really good cleaning rod, the one time I hit Africa; left it with the PH. Seemed happy about that.

Simple enough. Thanks all.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 9.35.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-26 at 9.35.17 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 164
I keep a handful of zeiss wipes, a handful of rem wipes, and a bore snake, all in a small ziplock baggie inside my pack..

I deep clean the gun(s) after I get back home..

I carry an oily rag (balistoil) for rifle wipe-down and lens cleaner with cloth for glasses, scope, and binos. I never ever touch a bore after final sight-in before a hunt.

Only glass cleaner, spray at the camp and wipes in the field. Gun get clean at home. I take a bore snake for wipe down dust and dirt if necessary.

These look kinda cool. I just ordered one :)

Just a heads up, the collapsible rods are good for the correct caliber sized patches and brushes. They're made from aluminum and if trying to jam a tight fitting patch down the bore, could bend.

Any decent ph or outfitter should have the basics for you to use in camp

Regards

I carry an oily rag (balistoil) for rifle wipe-down and lens cleaner with cloth for glasses, scope, and binos. I never ever touch a bore after final sight-in before a hunt.
Agree... I clean thoroughly when back home.

I yake a bore snake, lens wipes and an oily rag.Wipes and rag for glass and outside. Don't touch the bore unless I get dirt or water in it. I do my cleaning when I get home. Once I foul that barrel sighting in on safari I leave it be.

I spent 12 days hunting the 1st trip. We shot about 30 rounds. Took stuff and never used it. The 2nd trip I spent 25+ days hunting. Shot 75+ rounds and never did anything to the rifle. Cleaned rifles when I got home. I did carry and use a lens pen a few times for the scope. Used a cloth for the binos.

I waxed my gun before I left home. In a dusty environment I prefer wax since the dust doesn't seem to stick to it like it does oil. I brought an Otis cleaning kit but never used it. I did have some oil wipes with me that I used at the end of my trip before flying home.

I’m completely “all-in” on Seal-1 CLP. They have these travel size packets. The dust in Namibia is a killer it gets into everything. Seal-1 CLP dries and dust and dirt won’t stick. I’ve seen a noticeable improvement in accuracy since I started using it. After the days hunt I’d run a bore snake through followed by a patch with Seal-1 and lube as needed. Next morning run a dry patch through the bore and wipe everything dry. Never an issue with all the clouds of blowing dust using this method.
IMAG1453.jpg

Next I always carried with me this Army issued Lens Cleaning Pen. I real scope saver.

cleaning-optic-lens.jpg

medscaleLpen_1.jpg

I bring a wooden dowel for a rod and buy glass cleaner (ammonia) for bore cleaner, and buy axle grease to lube the rifle. Carry a soda bottle with gasoline for a cleaner degreaser.
You can use toilet paper rolled up and shoved into the barrel to swan the bore. Torn up socks work as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg