Gun Case Question about Locks

Geoclarkclark

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA, Colo Bowhunters Assn, Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Mongolia, New Zealand, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Brazil, USA, Scotland, Argentina
I have an aluminum gun case, with four latches, that has two rods that secure all four latch holes, and are locked with two padlocks through the rod ends at either end of the gun case.

I have read that now, every lock hole has to be secured with a lock. With my case, every lock is secured with just two padlocks, but if I use it to go to Africa next year, will I run into a problem? I have used this case twice in the past two Africa safaris, with no problems, but I know the rules have changed about TSA locks, etc. Would I be better off to just ditch the rods, and put locks in all four holes, to be safe?

Any comments, suggestions, data, would be appreciated, thanks.

I would take the case locked with the rods just like it's designed. And take two extra locks packed in the case as well. That way if they really want a lock in each hole you can easily swap out the rods with the extra two locks.
And if you have two extra locks and they happen to cut the original locks off for some reason, you will still have the two extra locks to secure it again.
Pack the extra locks in your guncase unlocked so that someone (security idiot) without a key to the locks can secure the case if necessary.

I would take the case locked with the rods just like it's designed. And take two extra locks packed in the case as well. That way if they really want a lock in each hole you can easily swap out the rods with the extra two locks.
And if you have two extra locks and they happen to cut the original locks off for some reason, you will still have the two extra locks to secure it again.
Pack the extra locks in your guncase unlocked so that someone (security idiot) without a key to the locks can secure the case if necessary.
+1

Can you post a pic or post brand and model?

I would just take two extra locks and use them if needed. The only problem might be if the locking rod will fit into the case.

I would also get 4 locks that are keyed the same just for convenience. Just about any hardware store should have them, if not they can order them for you.

On my last trip I had a unlocked lock inside of the case and when the TSA inspector checked my rifle she wondered what it was for after she told me that I had left my lock inside the case. I told her it was a just in case someone cut the first lock off then if they were courteous they could use the second lock to relock the case.

^^^^ You got to love TSA. They are all day stupid!

I have an aluminum gun case, with four latches, that has two rods that secure all four latch holes, and are locked with two padlocks through the rod ends at either end of the gun case.

I have read that now, every lock hole has to be secured with a lock. With my case, every lock is secured with just two padlocks, but if I use it to go to Africa next year, will I run into a problem? I have used this case twice in the past two Africa safaris, with no problems, but I know the rules have changed about TSA locks, etc. Would I be better off to just ditch the rods, and put locks in all four holes, to be safe?

Any comments, suggestions, data, would be appreciated, thanks.

Don’t take a risk just padlock everything.

EXACTLY

Think I have the same case and the rods will most definitely fit inside if need be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross