Guiding The Governor Of New Mexico

Poton, I missed this article completely when you first wrote it. I was visiting my son in Kansas City and did not have a computer at my disposal. I just finished reading it from beginning to end including everyone's comments and your replies. I enjoyed it very much. I too think it is sad that the actions once considered expected of "gentlemen" are now considered loathsome by some. I will not change my old fashioned behavior as my wife expects to be treated like a lady i.e. receiving flowers (for no good reason,) having doors opened for her etc. In some ways I feel sorry for the young men of today.

Poton, I missed this article completely when you first wrote it. I was visiting my son in Kansas City and did not have a computer at my disposal. I just finished reading it from beginning to end including everyone's comments and your replies. I enjoyed it very much. I too think it is sad that the actions once considered expected of "gentlemen" are now considered loathsome by some. I will not change my old fashioned behavior as my wife expects to be treated like a lady i.e. receiving flowers (for no good reason,) having doors opened for her etc. In some ways I feel sorry for the young men of today.
I am really glad that you liked the story , Shootist43 . Your wife sounds like a proper lady raised in more decent times . My girl friend used to demand a teddy bear every Valentine's day. Today , women demand smart phones from their boy friends .

Thanks for sharing another great story! Seems Tom Bolack was quite a character. I thought the name struck an old memory since I had worked in and around New Mexico for a bit. I searched on the internet and come upon some good info about Mr. Bolack. Definitely was a tough man and a true rags to riches story. Too bad more politicians weren't like him. And I thought this was pretty interesting and also provide some insight of probably why he was such a proficient hunter:

Quoted from NewMexicoHistory.org:

Born May 18, 1918 on a Kansas farm, Bolack spent his boyhood milking cows and operating the family farm machinery. When he was 16, already 6 feet tall and weighing 200 pounds, a wildcatter drilled a well on the farm. The well was dry but Bolack’s imagination brought in a gusher and he left the farm to seek his fortune in more productive fields. For years, Tom lived off the land, shooting rabbits and other small game for food. What he did not eat himself, he traded with a night watchman on a construction crew in exchange for moonlight practice sessions learning how to operate some of the heavy equipment.

There was no oil-related job in those early years that Bolack did not hold at one time or another. He worked as a laborer, shovel operator, tool dresser, roustabout, driller and miner. At night when he was not learning how to handle another piece of mechanical equipment or how not to handle some of his fellow workers—he acquired six broken noses, 14 concussions and a set of permanently gnarled knuckles in the process—he took correspondence-school courses in geology by the light of a lantern on the dashboard of a battered Hudson car. That Hudson served as his home as well as his transportation, and eventually served as collateral on the $600 loan that launched Bolack's fortune.

Thanks for sharing another great story! Seems Tom Bolack was quite a character. I thought the name struck an old memory since I had worked in and around New Mexico for a bit. I searched on the internet and come upon some good info about Mr. Bolack. Definitely was a tough man and a true rags to riches story. Too bad more politicians weren't like him. And I thought this was pretty interesting and also provide some insight of probably why he was such a proficient hunter:

Quoted from NewMexicoHistory.org:

Born May 18, 1918 on a Kansas farm, Bolack spent his boyhood milking cows and operating the family farm machinery. When he was 16, already 6 feet tall and weighing 200 pounds, a wildcatter drilled a well on the farm. The well was dry but Bolack’s imagination brought in a gusher and he left the farm to seek his fortune in more productive fields. For years, Tom lived off the land, shooting rabbits and other small game for food. What he did not eat himself, he traded with a night watchman on a construction crew in exchange for moonlight practice sessions learning how to operate some of the heavy equipment.

There was no oil-related job in those early years that Bolack did not hold at one time or another. He worked as a laborer, shovel operator, tool dresser, roustabout, driller and miner. At night when he was not learning how to handle another piece of mechanical equipment or how not to handle some of his fellow workers—he acquired six broken noses, 14 concussions and a set of permanently gnarled knuckles in the process—he took correspondence-school courses in geology by the light of a lantern on the dashboard of a battered Hudson car. That Hudson served as his home as well as his transportation, and eventually served as collateral on the $600 loan that launched Bolack's fortune.
Thank you so much for this excellent piece of information , Uncle Sauce. Mr. Bolack's story is truly inspiring. If anything , it teaches us that anyone can work hard and achieve success , if they put their minds and back to it . From personal experience , l can attest that Mr. Bolack had an unnatural level of proficiency with both the rifles and the shot guns , which he had brought to India for shikar . His .270 Winchester calibre rifle was the 2nd smallest calibre of rifle used by any of my clients ever , to bag a royal Bengal tiger ( the 1st smallest being a .243 Winchester calibre rifle . )
The hardships which he had endured during his youth is no doubt the reason why he was so kind and generous to those of less financial means than himself . At the age of 79 , l have made 1 humble observation over the years . Gentlemen who earn their wealth from scratch , are always more likely to treat poor people with more kindness , than gentlemen who are merely born into wealthy families. This is because gentlemen who earn their wealth from scratch , know intimately well what struggle really is.

Thank you so much for this excellent piece of information , Uncle Sauce. Mr. Bolack's story is truly inspiring. If anything , it teaches us that anyone can work hard and achieve success , if they put their minds and back to it . From personal experience , l can attest that Mr. Bolack had an unnatural level of proficiency with both the rifles and the shot guns , which he had brought to India for shikar . His .270 Winchester calibre rifle was the 2nd smallest calibre of rifle used by any of my clients ever , to bag a royal Bengal tiger ( the 1st smallest being a .243 Winchester calibre rifle . )
The hardships which he had endured during his youth is no doubt the reason why he was so kind and generous to those of less financial means than himself . At the age of 79 , l have made 1 humble observation over the years . Gentlemen who earn their wealth from scratch , are always more likely to treat poor people with more kindness , than gentlemen who are merely born into wealthy families. This is because gentlemen who earn their wealth from scratch , know intimately well what struggle really is.

I agree 100% Major - people who have seen the other side of life are typically very personable people and treat others with a much higher level of respect than people that had wealth that came easily.
As another poster mentioned on here earlier and further in the article I quoted, Mr. Bolack's agricultural and conservation efforts were also of a large magnitude. In the article they actually called him a "Modern Johnny Appleseed". I appreciate you posting your article and further reading into Mr. Bolack's life. A very interesting man indeed!

What a fascinating thread! Pleas, Major Khan, write a book!

I was always very interested in Tom Bolack - one of his best friends, the author and Weatherby-Award Winner Frank Hibben sometimes wrote about Bolack, in hunting magazines and his own books. Both men did many hunts together in Asia and Africa.
Bolack took several spectacular trophies - a giant polar bear as well as a huge crocodile. Tom Bolack hunted the whole world in the golden age of big game hunting, he himself should have written a book!

By the way: Tom Bolack's trophy room can be seen in one of the "Great Hunters"-books by Safari Press, in Vol. 1, if i remember correctly.
And there seems to be a book about Bolack's Life - it's called "Two Fists full" by Jerry Antunes. But i don't have this one.

And i wonder how many tigers Bolack really shot...

Best regards: Kouprey

1959 Outdoor Life_Feb1959_WorldsBigBear4.jpg
1964_03_Maneater_Sports Afield.jpg
2013-01-28_1241540148.jpg
bolack tom_tiger.jpg
1967 tom-bolack.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a fascinating thread! Pleas, Major Khan, write a book!

I was always very interested in Tom Bolack - one of his best friends, the author and Weatherby-Award Winner Frank Hibben sometimes wrote about Bolack, in hunting magazines and his own books. Both men did many hunts together in Asia and Africa.
Bolack took several spectacular trophies - a giant polar bear as well as a huge crocodile. Tom Bolack hunted the whole world in the golden age of big game hunting, he himself should have written a book!

By the way: Tom Bolack's trophy room can be seen in one of the "Great Hunters"-books by Safari Press, in Vol. 1, if i remember correctly.
And there seems to be a book about Bolack's Life - it's called "Two Fists full" by Jerry Antunes. But i don't have this one.

And i wonder how many tigers Bolack really shot...

View attachment 328087 View attachment 328088 View attachment 328090 View attachment 328091 View attachment 328092 View attachment 328093
Why thank , Kouprey . I see that you and l both have a mutual admiration for Mr. Bolack . He was a man among men . The only thing greater than his shooting skills and his love for the sport which defines all of us , was his generosity. I am infact writing 2 books , which should be published at the end of this year .
The 1st is titled " Man Eater : Descent Into Depravity ". This 1 details all of the man eating panthers and royal Bengal tigers which l have hunted in my life ". It is being co authored by my good friend and former fellow professional shikaree , Sergeant Kawshik Rahman , who is also a member of African Hunting Forums.
The 2nd is titled " Shikar : 10 Years After The Dangerous Game Of India . " which details my adventures guiding foreign clients and also some personal hunting adventures of mine .
I very clearly remember that Gaur on the right side corner of your 3rd photograph. Mr. Bolack took it as part of Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal in 1964 . He booked that Shikar for $ 25,000 American Dollars . He used a Mauser Oberndorf bolt rifle originally chambered in 8×60 mm , which had been rebarrelled to .30-06 Springfield. Mr. Bolack killed that gaur with a single 220 grain Winchester solid metal covered round nosed bullet aimed at the heart of the gaur . He killed it with a broadside heart shot . I was his professional shikaree . He had a head mount done to it , and donated most of the meat to Allwyn Cooper Limited's employees , keeping only the tenderloins for himself . Seeing that gaur head mount after so many years , brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Tom Bolack shot 3 royal Bengal tigers in India , Kouprey . He shot 2 royal Bengal tigers with me as his professional shikaree . He booked these shikars with my outfitters , Allwyn Cooper Limited.
In 1969 , he shot a 3rd royal Bengal tiger , but chose Rao Naidu Shikar Limited , as his outfitters. Rao Naidu ( the great Rao Naidu of Hyderabad ) used to be Allwyn Cooper Limited's head professional shikaree and my superior. However , in 1968 , he left Allwyn Cooper Limited to open his own outfitters. He and Mr. V. C. Shukla ( the owner of Allwyn Cooper Limited ) had a massive argument which led to Rao Naidu leaving our outfitters .

I see that you are very well acquainted with Mr. Hibben and Mr. Bolack . See if you can recognize the gentleman in this photograph . It was taken in 1963 by my good friend , Kawshik after we guided this gentleman for a shikar in Darjeeling ( West Bengal ) .
Screenshot_20191125-042910_01_01.png

Last edited:
Dear Major!
How great this is - writing to an shikari of the old school! I definetely want to buy both of your books - signed, if possible!
Thanks for all your information on Mr. Bolack, i guess this is one of the purposes of this forum: keeping the memory alive...

The man on the photo must be Mr. Bolack himself! Seems he always grew a beard like Santa Claus when he was on shikar... :)

Funny that you mentioned Rao Naidu. Only last week i finished the book by Jack Denton-Scott "Forests of the Night". He hunted in India in the 19s0s, his professional hunter was Mr. Naidu and he writes in highest terms about him. I post some pictures of the book. And of Tom Bolack also...

1961 Bolack - Hibben_GunsJune 61.jpg
bolack trophy room.jpg
bolack_botswana.jpg
bolack_trophy room 2.jpg
scott1.jpg
scott7.jpg
scott8.jpg

Why thank , Kouprey . I see that you and l both have a mutual admiration for Mr. Bolack . He was a man among men . The only thing greater than his shooting skills and his love for the sport which defines all of us , was his generosity. I am infact writing 2 books , which should be published at the end of this year .
The 1st is titled " Man Eater : Descent Into Depravity ". This 1 details all of the man eating panthers and royal Bengal tigers which l have hunted in my life ". It is being co authored by my good friend and former fellow professional shikaree , Sergeant Kawshik Rahman , who is also a member of African Hunting Forums.
The 2nd is titled " Shikar : 10 Years After The Dangerous Game Of India . " which details my adventures guiding foreign clients and also some personal hunting adventures of mine .
I very clearly remember that Gaur on the right side corner of your 3rd photograph. Mr. Bolack took it as part of Allwyn Cooper Limited's " Trophy Room Special " package deal in 1964 . He booked that Shikar for $ 25,000 American Dollars . He used a Mauser Oberndorf bolt rifle originally chambered in 8×60 mm , which had been rebarrelled to .30-06 Springfield. Mr. Bolack killed that gaur with a single 220 grain Winchester solid metal covered round nosed bullet aimed at the heart of the gaur . He killed it with a broadside heart shot . I was his professional shikaree . He had a head mount done to it , and donated most of the meat to Allwyn Cooper Limited's employees , keeping only the tenderloins for himself . Seeing that gaur head mount after so many years , brings tears of joy to my eyes.

Tom Bolack shot 3 royal Bengal tigers in India , Kouprey . He shot 2 royal Bengal tigers with me as his professional shikaree . He booked these shikars with my outfitters , Allwyn Cooper Limited.
In 1969 , he shot a 3rd royal Bengal tiger , but chose Rao Naidu Shikar Limited , as his outfitters. Rao Naidu ( the great Rao Naidu of Hyderabad ) used to be Allwyn Cooper Limited's head professional shikaree and my superior. However , in 1968 , he left Allwyn Cooper Limited to open his own outfitters. He and Mr. V. C. Shukla ( the owner of Allwyn Cooper Limited ) had a massive argument which led to Rao Naidu leaving our outfitters .

I see that you are very well acquainted with Mr. Hibben and Mr. Bolack . See if you can recognize the gentleman in this photograph . It was taken in 1963 by my good friend , Kawshik after we guided this gentleman for a shikar in Darjeeling ( West Bengal ) .
View attachment 328181
Friend Ponton
It would be a privilege to purchase your books, it would be especially good If they were signed by you.. I feel they would be such a good read that they could be passed on as family heirlooms. That's providing they are still in good enough condition after I have read them so many times.
Please let me know when and where your books will be available. If needed I will purchase them directly from yourself and pay for the postage to Australia
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson

Friend Ponton
It would be a privilege to purchase your books, it would be especially good If they were signed by you.. I feel they would be such a good read that they could be passed on as family heirlooms. That's providing they are still in good enough condition after I have read them so many times.
Please let me know when and where your books will be available. If needed I will purchase them directly from yourself and pay for the postage to Australia
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson
You insult me by offering to pay for my books , Bob . I will be more than happy to provide you with a copy of each book for free. They shall be published by the end of this year , hopefully.

You have many eager customers waiting!

You insult me by offering to pay for my books , Bob . I will be more than happy to provide you with a copy of each book for free. They shall be published by the end of this year , hopefully.
Friend Ponton
I assure you it was not meant as an insult but you should be reimbursed for your expenses in producing the book. It would be a privilege to have the books written by such a kind person as yourself, they would be a very treasured item in my home.
Thank you friend Ponton
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois