Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 6 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
Greetings to one and all,

As the title suggests, I'm hoping for information, in regards to guided hunting, in the Tuscany area of Northern Italy.
My understanding so far is that, wild swine are plentiful enough so as to be almost vermin.
However, more than one species of deer are present there, as are upland game birds.

At some stage, my wife and I plan to visit there so, I figured I'd see about a day or two of hunting, if it is possible and not too terribly expensive.
So far I've learned that one must have a valid hunting license from their country of residence and of course, a valid passport.
Also that, Italian law prohibits hunting on Tuesday's and Fridays.
So far, that's all I know about hunting in Italy.

Thank you all in advance,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
VD, don't you know that people go to Tuscany to eat, drink and fall in love? I spent several days there in 2001. Don't know anything about hunting in the area...BUT, email Andrea Romano in Sicily..cerniazza@yahoo.com. He is an Sicilian cop I worked with for a year and he lives and works in Sicily now to my knowledge. He loves to hunt and fish so he may could give you some current detailed info on the Tuscany area. I know your wife will love it and am pretty sure you will even if you don't find a pig or deer!!! I am aware that Tuscany and Sicily are not just next door to each other, but compared to the distance from the U.S. to Africa, they are on the same city block. Tell him I gave you his email and let me know if he able to help you out.

VD, don't you know that people go to Tuscany to eat, drink and fall in love? I spent several days there in 2001. Don't know anything about hunting in the area...BUT, email Andrea Romano in Sicily..cerniazza@yahoo.com. He is an Sicilian cop I worked with for a year and he lives and works in Sicily now to my knowledge. He loves to hunt and fish so he may could give you some current detailed info on the Tuscany area. I know your wife will love it and am pretty sure you will even if you don't find a pig or deer!!! I am aware that Tuscany and Sicily are not just next door to each other, but compared to the distance from the U.S. to Africa, they are on the same city block. Tell him I gave you his email and let me know if he able to help you out.

Thanks David,

My wife has been there twice (with two crazy Dispatchers I used to work with, back in the old days).
And it's her favorite part of Italy so far.
We hope to get over there one of these years soon.
I tried Andreo's email address as you posted it with two .. and with only one . between the first and second words.
Both are rejected by the all seeing eye of big brother computer, with responses to the affect of: "undeliverable / not a valid email address."
I figure he probably has a different address these days however, I do appreciate the suggestion anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.

Thanks David,

My wife has been there twice (with two crazy Dispatchers I used to work with, back in the old days).
I tried Andreo's email address as you posted it with two .. and with only one . between the first and second words.
Both are rejected by the all seeing eye of big brother computer, with responses to the affect of: "undeliverable / not a valid email address."
I figure he probably has a different address these days however, I do appreciate the suggestion anyway.

Cheers,
Paul.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, there are no periods, just my way of typing. the address is
cerniazza@yahoo.com
This address was good 15 months ago.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, there are no periods, just my way of typing. the address is
cerniazza@yahoo.com
This address was good 15 months ago.

Oh, ok thanks.
Millionth try was a charm hahaha.
My email is sent to him.
Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Mine as well...

Ive spent a good bit of time in Rome, Capri, Naples, etc... but Florence and Tuscany are absolutely my favorite.. not just in Italy.. they are among my favorite places on the planet..

Incredible food, excellent wines, wonderful people, beautiful scenery, tons of history, etc..etc.. If it werent so damn expensive there, I'd consider it as a retirement option..

I've never considered hunting there before.. but if they are in fact overrun with piggies.. I may seriously have to look into it.. I love hog hunting.. and love Tuscany...

I cant imagine not loving hog hunting in Tuscany :)

Mine as well...

Ive spent a good bit of time in Rome, Capri, Naples, etc... but Florence and Tuscany are absolutely my favorite.. not just in Italy.. they are among my favorite places on the planet..

Incredible food, excellent wines, wonderful people, beautiful scenery, tons of history, etc..etc.. If it werent so damn expensive there, I'd consider it as a retirement option..

I've never considered hunting there before.. but if they are in fact overrun with piggies.. I may seriously have to look into it.. I love hog hunting.. and love Tuscany...

I cant imagine not loving hog hunting in Tuscany :)
Dave, you are absolutely right! Tuscany region would be the place to live if you can afford it and Florence is next. When I get rich and have all the Rigbys I want and and a couple of Westley scatter guns, I will have a small house in Tuscany and an apartment near the Sorbonne in Paris. Except for the archaeological remains for academic interest,
Rome has nothing to offer IMO! Spent a lot of time in Capri and Naples in the 70s also while in the Navy.

Ciao amico, sono un nuovo membro italiano, io caccio ogni anno a Firenze solo cinghiale 300 kilometri da casa mia, la burocrazia italiana per la caccia non è facile per le persone provenienti da altri paesi, ma se dovesse interessarti ho amici li che potrebbero aiutarti se vuoi fare visita a Firenze, e per cacciare sicuramente troviamo una possibilita' di farti sparare, ciao cordiali saluti Andrea (blaser 30-06)

Riusciremo ad aiutare per fare la caccia a firenze

Last edited by a moderator:
Ciao amico, sono un nuovo membro italiano, io caccio ogni anno a Firenze solo cinghiale 300 kilometri da casa mia, la burocrazia italiana per la caccia non è facile per le persone provenienti da altri paesi, ma se dovesse interessarti ho amici li che potrebbero aiutarti se vuoi fare visita a Firenze, e per cacciare sicuramente troviamo una possibilita' di farti sparare, ciao cordiali saluti Andrea (blaser 30-06)

Hi friend, I am a new Italian member, I drive only wild boar 300 kilometers away from Florence every year, the Italian hunting bureaucracy is not easy for people from other countries, but if you are interested I have friends who could help you if you want to visit Florence, and to hunt for sure we find a chance to get you shot, hello cordial greetings Andrea
We will be able to help hunt Florence

Dave, you are absolutely right! Tuscany region would be the place to live if you can afford it and Florence is next. When I get rich and have all the Rigbys I want and and a couple of Westley scatter guns, I will have a small house in Tuscany and an apartment near the Sorbonne in Paris. Except for the archaeological remains for academic interest,
Rome has nothing to offer IMO! Spent a lot of time in Capri and Naples in the 70s also while in the Navy.
I totally disagree with your statement that Rome has nothing to offer.

Greetings to one and all,

As the title suggests, I'm hoping for information, in regards to guided hunting, in the Tuscany area of Northern Italy.
My understanding so far is that, wild swine are plentiful enough so as to be almost vermin.
However, more than one species of deer are present there, as are upland game birds.

At some stage, my wife and I plan to visit there so, I figured I'd see about a day or two of hunting, if it is possible and not too terribly expensive.
So far I've learned that one must have a valid hunting license from their country of residence and of course, a valid passport.
Also that, Italian law prohibits hunting on Tuesday's and Fridays.
So far, that's all I know about hunting in Italy.

Thank you all in advance,
Velo Dog.

Paul, Nancy and I do something similar nearly every year - last year Spain and this year, Austria. I hunt for two or three days while my bride pillages the local villages, and then we spend ten days or so playing tourist.

Tuscany is wonderful, and Florence is pretty much a living museum. And Rome is one of the great cities to visit on the planet!! We loved our time in Italy four years ago. A good technique is to hire a local guide for the first morning you are in a new town. Do a walk about and from then on you are oriented.

If anyone could tailor something for you in Tuscany it is Bob Kern of the Hunting Consortium http://huntingconsortium.com/about-us/. They can do as little as just the hunt, but have enormous experience setting up the tourist end as well. They have done a great job putting together our pending Austrian adventure. September would be a great time - the tourists are tapering off a bit, roe deer season is still open, and the wild boar will be starting to get their winter coats to make a great rug in the trophy room or den.

I totally disagree with your statement that Rome has nothing to offer.
Rick, your disagreement is welcomed. I based the statement on my two visits there. If you remove the archaeological remains, there would be nothing left to draw me there. The north of Italy is so much more beautiful IMO. And the people are nicer too.
P.S. Never looked into hunting in Italy, so can't comment about it.

Rick, your disagreement is welcomed. I based the statement on my two visits there. If you remove the archaeological remains, there would be nothing left to draw me there. The north of Italy is so much more beautiful IMO. And the people are nicer too.
P.S. Never looked into hunting in Italy, so can't comment about it.
I guess our perspective differs. I've travelled from south of Amalfi to Venice over two different trips. Personally, after spending time in Rome (x2) I found Florence rather boring. When we retire we would like to spend an extended time in Italy and the region.

I guess our perspective differs. I've travelled from south of Amalfi to Venice over two different trips. Personally, after spending time in Rome (x2) I found Florence rather boring. When we retire we would like to spend an extended time in Italy and the region.
I agree - Rome (the old city) is a city of small neighborhoods originally created around a walking population. I have been there at least half a dozen times over the last ten or twelve years. The population truly lives there. Every single corner has a wonderful little restaurant with incredible pastas and wines that are to die for. And as European capitals go, it is far less expensive than Paris or London. And everyone owes themselves a walk through the Vatican Museum, St Peter's Basilica, and the Pantheon.

As I said, Florence is a bit of a living museum, and the whole city is overrun with tourists, as opposed to just the attractions in Rome. However, seeing Botticelli's Birth of Venus in the Uffizi is another thing that is worth any amount sharp elbows.

One bit of caution. You will come away hating the new Chinese middle class. They are everywhere a selfie might work in squad, company and battalion strength. They are rude, loud, and everywhere in Europe now (with very different table manners - sit across from someone trying to bite of a piece of bruschetta like a rice noodle sometime.) At least fewer talk about ugly Americans any longer.

The nicest part of Tuscany are the small medieval towns. Makes sure you spend some time in places like Orvieto and San Gimignano.

Next time in Rome @Red Leg, if you haven't been yet, visit the Galleria Borghese. Breath taking sculptures by Bernini, and paintings by Caravaggio amount others. Book well ahead (months is good) as the admittance is very controlled, for good reason.
And then you can go 'hunting' down a side street for another gem of a family owned restaurant!

Yes! Been there twice. And the setting - particularly the gardens - is incredible.

One bit of caution. You will come away hating the new Chinese middle class. They are everywhere a selfie might work in squad, company and battalion strength. They are rude, loud, and everywhere in Europe now (with very different table manners - sit across from someone trying to bite of a piece of bruschetta like a rice noodle sometime.) At least fewer talk about ugly Americans any longer.

The nicest part of Tuscany are the small medieval towns. Makes sure you spend some time in places like Orvieto and San Gimignano.

You couldn’t have described that aspect better.

Although, San Gimignano, Poggibonsi, Levanto, the Cinque Terre etc is beautiful and worth the visit, and is less overrun by tourists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darrell572

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg